2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 hours ago, Starchisaga said:

Does anyone have a list of who the Packers have met with in Green Bay?  I think they met with Jones last year and then drafted him....  (sorry if this isn't a new thread - can't seem to figure out input on phone)

I don't think that happens until after the combine, if not after pro days.

13 hours ago, Lodestar said:

If Haskins and Murray (or Quinnen Williams) were to go #1 and #2, what would you be willing to give up for the #3 pick? According to the draft chart I'm looking at, our #12, #30 and #44 picks would be enough to get to #3 with probably a 4th or 5th coming back our way. That's a lot to give for one player. Would you do it?

No thanks.  We're more than one player away from making the playoffs.  

11 hours ago, Starchisaga said:

Does anyone have a list of who the Packers have met with in Green Bay?  I think they met with Jones last year and then drafted him....  (sorry if this isn't a new thread - can't seem to figure out input on phone)

Are you thinking of MVS?  Jones was drafted 2 years ago.  

I can't find where it says when teams can start bringing players into their facilities for pre-draft visits but I'd imagine we are a little early for them.  

11 minutes ago, SSG said:

No thanks.  We're more than one player away from making the playoffs.  

So... if we get Bosa for 12, 30, 44 this year, then stink again, we can fix the safety spot next draft.  We can still take a shot at improving guard, and will get an extra year of knowledge of our WRs.  

Here are our 2020 free agents, half of whom some people are clamoring to cut anyway.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/green-bay-packers/

I'm not saying that I would do it, but I am saying that it could work out if we look at this as a 2-3 year re-build instead of a 1 year re-load.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't want that trade up, but I don' t know if I can agree with that considering the division. I think Chicago's defense will regress.

Maybe though I don't see it happening.  Mack wasn't in football shape when he arrived in Chicago last year and only seen his traditional snap count in about half the season.  If he's in shape for an entire year, stays healthy and sees his normal snap count I think he's only going to get better.  Even if their defense does regress slightly, it's very likely we see huge jumps by their offense in year 2.  

I see us being a long ways from Chicago.  I'm more worried about Minnesota and Detroit, both of whom kicked our teeth in for long stretches of our games last year.  We were a lot closer to being the bottom dweller of our division than we were being the top team IMO.  I just don't see one rookie OLB turning a terrible 6 win team into a playoff contender in one off season.

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So... if we get Bosa for 12, 30, 44 this year, then stink again, we can fix the safety spot next draft.  We can still take a shot at improving guard, and will get an extra year of knowledge of our WRs.  

Here are our 2020 free agents, half of whom some people are clamoring to cut anyway.

I'm not saying that I would do it, but I am saying that it could work out if we look at this as a 2-3 year re-build instead of a 1 year re-load.

No thanks.  I don't see Nick Bosa being any where close to being either a Myles Garrett or Von Miller caliber of prospect.  I'm not using 3 top 50 picks on anything other than a generational player.  This team is pretty clearly more than one OLB away from competing in the playoffs.  Yes we have money, but so does the rest of the NFL.  We're actually got less than the league average in salary cap space so there is no guarantee we're adding any high end starters in UFA.

We need to be in a win now mode given our shrinking window.  IMO we'll have a new coaching staff in 3 years if we continue to miss the playoffs.  Using those three picks on starting caliber players will help us more than using them on one stud IMO.

13 minutes ago, SSG said:

Maybe though I don't see it happening.  Mack wasn't in football shape when he arrived in Chicago last year and only seen his traditional snap count in about half the season.  If he's in shape for an entire year, stays healthy and sees his normal snap count I think he's only going to get better.  Even if their defense does regress slightly, it's very likely we see huge jumps by their offense in year 2.  

I see us being a long ways from Chicago.  I'm more worried about Minnesota and Detroit, both of whom kicked our teeth in for long stretches of our games last year.  We were a lot closer to being the bottom dweller of our division than we were being the top team IMO.  I just don't see one rookie OLB turning a terrible 6 win team into a playoff contender in one off season.

Think you're underestimating the loss of  Fangio, Ed Donatell, et al. He's more important to that defense than Mack " being in football shape".

I didn't say a rookie EDGE was going to turn the team around. We've got a lot more ammo than that in the draft,  free agency, and player development.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Think you're underestimating the loss of  Fangio, Ed Donatell, et al. He's more important to that defense than Mack " being in football shape".

We've been through the "is Chicago going to dip or not" argument, but I'll say this: Is Fangio leaving a good thing for the Bears? No. Do I think it'll be a huge difference? No. The Bears have a ton of talent on that defense (even if they lose Amos and Callahan). Dom Capers would have been getting HC interviews this year had he been the DC for that squad, it was a very good job to have. 

With Pagano, I'll be shocked if Chicago isn't still a top-10 defense. Moreover, if the Bears take a step back, it'll have much more to do with the lack of progression of Trubisky, not because their defense suddenly fell apart. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We've been through the "is Chicago going to dip or not" argument, but I'll say this: Is Fangio leaving a good thing for the Bears? No. Do I think it'll be a huge difference? No. The Bears have a ton of talent on that defense (even if they lose Amos and Callahan). Dom Capers would have been getting HC interviews this year had he been the DC for that squad, it was a very good job to have. 

With Pagano, I'll be shocked if Chicago isn't still a top-10 defense. Moreover, if the Bears take a step back, it'll have much more to do with the lack of progression of Trubisky, not because their defense suddenly fell apart. 

No. You're making a mistake thinking Fangio's success as a DC is somehow limited to Chicago and Kahlil Mack's arrival. He gave Rodgers and MM in San Fran too. Him being out of the division is great news.

32 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know if we need to have Bosa (would love it though).  We should take this opportunity to get a Blue Chip though.  We need to identify how many and try to secure one of them.  Bosa/QWilliams/JAllen.  I see one of them slipping to #5 or #6, that's when I would vote to pounce.  With FA now a possibility with Gute, holes could be filled that way.  Trading two of our first three picks for a playmaker seems like a reasonable move. All depends on what/who Gute sees as a playmaker. 

Three 'Red' players are not as valuable as a 'Blue' and a 'Red'.

15 minutes ago, SSG said:

No thanks.  I don't see Nick Bosa being any where close to being either a Myles Garrett or Von Miller caliber of prospect.  I'm not using 3 top 50 picks on anything other than a generational player.  This team is pretty clearly more than one OLB away from competing in the playoffs.  Yes we have money, but so does the rest of the NFL.  We're actually got less than the league average in salary cap space so there is no guarantee we're adding any high end starters in UFA.

We need to be in a win now mode given our shrinking window.  IMO we'll have a new coaching staff in 3 years if we continue to miss the playoffs.  Using those three picks on starting caliber players will help us more than using them on one stud IMO.

So you are looking at this as a win now scenario.  I am not sure that we can get there.  I think we are two seasons away from being a serious contender whether we make that big trade or stand pat.  Obviously, we have to hit on draft picks anyway.

I agree with there not being the generational talent in this draft.  I don't think I would make that trade, it might be more intriguing if Von Miller were there.  Just a fun exercise.  Also, I think that we should be big players in FA next offseason because we don't stand to get much in way of comp picks from the exiting players.

Archived