2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

I think Fant’s deficiencies as a blocker exist when compared to Hock, but are pretty good, in a vacuum. I’ve seen him bowl defensive ends into the end zone on Iowa’s way to a TD or two. There’s a great gif I’ve seen of both Hock and Fant in the same frame putting two different defenders on their *****. 

Long story short, give me either Iowa TE and I will never think about the other one again. 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Brian Burns is my current draft crush.  

I also really like Juan Thornhill for a Safety, but also want to see what Adderley does in workouts.  I am a sucker for small school defensive backs that run fast.  

This is basically where i am at. 

I really want Burns at 12 and either Thornhill or Adderley with one of our other day 2 picks.  Then we can draft an offensive guy with the 30th or 44th. Id be intrigued with Jeffery Simmons if he fell to our 44th pick and like Armani Hooker or Anthony Nelson in the mid rounds if they fall that far.

I like Burns even more now with how well his speed and quickness compliments the addition of the Smith's. 

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Fant is 6'3" sub 240 guy.  Elite receiving skills but not a good blocker.  More of an H-back type.  Hock is 6'5" 250. 

???

Noah Fant is 6042 249.  Hockenson is 6046 251. A full 1/2" of an inch and 2 lbs separate the two.  Are you sure you're not getting Fant confused with the Bama tight end (who is 6023 242)?

34 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

???

Noah Fant is 6042 249.  Hockenson is 6046 251. A full 1/2" of an inch and 2 lbs separate the two.  Are you sure you're not getting Fant confused with the Bama tight end (who is 6023 242)?

You are right thinking of Irv Smith.  However general consensus is Hock is a better blocker and more well rounded TE.  Fant is more a receiving type ala Jimmy Graham.

So the biggest knock on Fant, in my opinion, is about attitude/personality.  It's less that "he is unable to block" (because he's actually quite a bit better at it than your Greg Olsens or Eric Ebrons of the world) but that sometimes he does not put in the full effort.  It's the same reason Iowa wouldn't put him on the field for long stretches- kid's got some growing up to do.

I mean, the whole reason this superstar athlete went to Iowa to begin with was because he wanted to catch passes and all the rest of the schools recruiting him wanted him to be a DE.

Drafttek's mock for us is pretty uninspiring

1.12 - Andre Dillard | OT | Washington State - over Jonah Williams which I'm not quite sure I agree with but I could see it happening.
1.30 - TJ Hockenson | TE | Iowa
2.44 - Dexter Lawrence | DT | Clemson
3.75 - Emanuel Hall | WR | Missouri
4.114 - Cody Barton | ILB | Utah
4.118 - D'Andre Walker | EDGE | Georgia
5.150 - Miles Sanders | RB | Penn State
6.185 - Kris Boyd | CB | Texas
6.194 - Travis Homer | RB | Miami (FL) - two RB? Why?
7.226 - Jah'Shawn Johnson | SAF | Texas Tech - NEVER take a DB from TTU lol

I would be incredibly disappointed with that draft with the strengths of this class.

3 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i can't figure out why aj brown isn't the clear #1 receiver in this draft 

i want him in gb very much 

Because there's really not much separation in regards to the WRs and you're just as likely to get a really good starter in the mid-2nd to even the 4th round (looking at Anthony Johnson of Buffalo) as you are if you invest a 1st into one. There's just a **** ton of WR depth this year.

Just watched video of Gardner-Johnson, Adderly, and Thornhill.  Here are my amateur observations:

Gardner-Johnson

- Excellent blitzer.  He can actually dip and bend around a blocker like an edge rusher when rushing from the outside. 

- Very aggressive in taking on blockers.  He is a tough guy to block and will run through blockers to get to the ball carrier.

- Very willing tackler, but I noticed he dives a lot instead of wrapping up and running through the player.  I think he will improve with good coaching.

- Very good coverage skills, and he's actually pretty rangy when he's playing deep.  He's looks good at playing man coverage which is nice for a safety.

He's definitely the most versatile of the three.  If that's the type of player Pettine likes he will love Gardner-Johnson.

Adderly

- This guy can tackle.  He's aggressive, wraps up, and runs through the ball carrier.  Definitely the best tackler of the three, and he is not at all shy about contact.

- Excellent ball skills.  He's every bit the rangy center fielder type that people have been saying he is, and he is fantastic at going up and getting the ball at its highest point.

- He seems to have good closing speed and can run guys down.

- His motor doesn't quit.  I love those types of players.

I really didn't see anything in his game that I didn't like.  If Pettine wants a center fielder, he's the guy for sure.

Thornhill

- He seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time.  Obviously I'm watching highlights but that was the impression I got of him.

- Good speed and good zone coverage abilities. 

- Willing tackler, but like CGJ he dives a lot and sometimes drops his head, which will result in missed tackles at the next level.

- Doesn't seem shy about contact, but not as aggressive as Adderly or CGJ.

- I didn't really see him use that crazy vertical of his.  He doesn't really high point the ball, but instead sort of waits for it to come to him.  Not a big fan of that.

I'm not as high on him as I am the other two, but he definitely wouldn't be a bad pick up in the middle rounds.

Of the three, I like Adderly the best, but I like rangy free safeties that create turnovers.  I definitely wouldn't be upset with Gardner-Johnson though.  I suppose it will all come down to what type of player Pettine wants, if the Packers are even interested in any of these three, how they value them on their board, and if they're available at a spot they're comfortable taking them.  I have to say I'm personally rooting for Adderly though.  I hope the Packers find a way to get him.

12 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i can't figure out why aj brown isn't the clear #1 receiver in this draft 

i want him in gb very much 

Also, if I could focus on just ONE WR to take for the Packers, it's Parris Campbell. I cannot remember the last time we had an athlete like that on our offense. Kid is crazy explosive and I'd seriously consider him at 2.44 assuming he doesn't end up in the 1st round or among the first few day 2 picks.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

If he's there, I want Ed Oliver. He's falling for the same reason Donald fell (size). He's a top 3 talent in this draft (along with Bosa and Q Williams).

This times a million. I'm guessing NFL teams are smarter than that, but he seems to be dropping in a lot of mock drafts. If he's on the board I hope Gute runs the card up there. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Because there's really not much separation in regards to the WRs and you're just as likely to get a really good starter in the mid-2nd to even the 4th round (looking at Anthony Johnson of Buffalo) as you are if you invest a 1st into one. There's just a **** ton of WR depth this year.

there's aj brown... and then the other guys. 

1. aj brown
2. hakeem butler 
3. nkeal harry
4. dk metcalf 
5. riley ridley

is how i'm feeling them at the moment. based off highlight clips and interviews. i watched most of them tonight. 

i know you're a big anthony johnson guy. i wouldn't mind in the 4th or whatever, but i don't really see it w/ him as like a steal/value guy there personally.

but yeah this wideout group is wild af. definitely wanna add one of these tier 1/2 guys to the room. 

aj brown gives me a jaire vibe, w/ that infectious energy and culture-setting. he's gonna be a gem for whoever adds him. 

hakeem could very well suck, i heard his hands are pretty bad, but holy **** his highlights are on some randy moss/aj green hybrid type ****. and you could say that about anyone's "highlights", but his are next level. 

Honestly, I don't care about OL day 1 or day 2. I want impact talent on the DL/EDGE, at WR (Campbell specifically), and safety (the trio that MG just pointed out specifically in mind). So, EDGE/DL talent at 12, Safety at 30 and WR at 44. I think we can get a solid TE at 75 or even late (Alize Mack, Kaden Smith, Isaac Nauta, Jace Sternberger, Foster Moreau). This is a really deep draft at positions of need so let's kill it, Gute.

Archived