2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Just now, Joe said:

Also, even if we do start Josh Jones we still have a gaping hole at Safety........again.....

I don't think that safety group is top-heavy, so if you really wanted to spend a 1st on a safety you'd grab one at 30 (or move up, I don't think they want to roster 10 rooks anyway.)

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think that safety group is top-heavy, so if you really wanted to spend a 1st on a safety you'd grab one at 30 (or move up, I don't think they want to roster 10 rooks anyway.)

I think we have to grab one at 30 or 44 at this point and then grab Amani Hooker on Day 3. We're probably going to be 50/50 rookie/veteran.

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Appreciate the input.

I'm just having trouble placing the WR's honestly.

I've got Metcalf / Brown / Harry / Hollywood somewhere between 20 and 26 overall but I'd be livid if they picked a WR in the first round lol.

Those Dallas boards that have been "leaked" give round grades with straight rankings. A 26th overall player could still have a 2nd round grade because the team doesn't value 32 players with a first round grade. Does that make sense?

50 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

You should never say never. For a special talent like Metcalf, exceptions must be considered. Watch his tape. He does things that normal wrs can't do and has legitimate freak best player at his position in the league upside.  In this draft, there are only 3 guys like that (Bosa, Q Williams, and Metcalf).

I was saying this before his combine by the way, so this isn't combine knee jerk. The only reason I wouldn't take him if he is there is if the medicals don't check out.

I don't see what he does that Hakeem Butler doesn't do better.

4 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Those Dallas boards that have been "leaked" give round grades with straight rankings. A 26th overall player could still have a 2nd round grade because the team doesn't value 32 players with a first round grade. Does that make sense?

Yep Yep I think so. I'll check those Dallas boards out.

I never understood why a team that picks nth in the first round does not insist on giving n players 1st round grades.  Just because of a pigeonhole principle thing and the fact you cannot guarantee that you can trade back.  It just doesn't make sense to me that you can set up your grading rubric so that you are taking 2nd round guys in the first because all the first round guys are gone.

Like all you'd have to do is name your tiers- "tier 1", "tier 2" etc. and at some point draw a line indicating a round.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I never understood why a team that picks nth in the first round does not insist on giving n players 1st round grades.  Just because of a pigeonhole principle thing and the fact you cannot guarantee that you can trade back.  It just doesn't make sense to me that you can set up your grading rubric so that you are taking 2nd round guys in the first because all the first round guys are gone.

Two things: sometimes teams value wonky players in the first that don’t end up going until later. I truly believe Josh Jackson was a first round player for us last year because his last season was so good. Dallas’ boards also tip off some strange players that they had first round grades on.

Otherwise you usually see teams trade back to get value if a player hasn’t fallen that they valued in the first. Last year I believe we traded down because the saints offered something we valued more than any player, then we traded up to still get a first round player. 

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like all you'd have to do is name your tiers- "tier 1", "tier 2" etc. and at some point draw a line indicating a round.

What makes you think they don't?

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

But I mean, say you pick 26th, so 25 players are going to go before you pick (unless you trade up).  So you should have at least 26 players you are willing to take in the first round.  Why don't we call that set "first round grades"?

I think if the teams placed no value on the designation then that makes sense. But I believe they use it to denote how they value players.

Here's my first crack at one:

Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7
Quinnen Williams Jonah Williams DK Metcalf Cody Ford Beau Benzschawel Sean Bunting Will Grier
Nick Bosa TJ Hockensen AJ Brown Garrett Bradbury Justice Hill Joe Jackson Daniel Jones
Josh Allen Devin Bush Byron Murphy Chris Lindstrom Oli Udoh Maxx Crosby Te’Von Coney
Montez Sweat C. Gardner-Johnson N’Keal Harry Erik McCoy Dru Samia Isaiah Buggs Khalil Hodge
Ed Oliver Jeffery Simmons Josh Jacobs Amani Oruwariye Renell Wren Max Scharping Blace Brown
Rashan Gary Nasir Adderley Jerry Tillery Elgton Jenkins David Montgomery D’Andre Walker Ryan Finley
Brian Burns Noah Fant Deebo Samuel Yodny Cajuste Trayveon Williams Isaac Nauta Tyree Jackson
Clelin Ferrell Greedy Williams Marquise Brown Michael Deiter Connor McGovern(*) Alex Bars Jarrett Stidham
Jawaan Taylor Irv Smith Zach Allen Jace Sternberger Darrell Henderson Ben Burr-Kirven Ryquell Armstead
Christian Wilkins Dalton Risner Juan Thornhill David Edwards Chuma Edoga Nate Davis Terrone Prescod
Andre Dillard Jaylon Ferguson Hakeem Butler Darnell Savage Jalen Jelks Kaden Smith Ugo Amadi
Devin White Greg Little Caleb Wilson Dre’Mont Jones Drew Lock Ben Powers  
Dexter Lawrence Jachai Polite Charles Omenihu Khalen Saunders David Long Dawson Knox  
  Deionte Thompson Amani Hooker Justin Layne Bobby Okereke Mike Edwards  
  DeAndre Baker Rock Ya-Sin Justin Hollins Terry McLaurin Yosuah Njiman  
    Mack Wilson Anthony Nelson Riley Ridley Damarkus Lodge  
    Taylor Rapp Miles Boykin Miles Sanders Kevin Givens  
    Julian Love Gerald Willis Kelvin Harmon Lonnie Johnson  
    Trayvon Mullen Oshane Ximines JJ Arcega-Whiteside Easton Stick  
    Dwayne Haskins Chase Winovich Marvell Tell Emmanuel Hall  
    Kyler Murray Stanley Morgan Andy Isabella Ross Pierschbacher(*)  
      LJ Collier Devin Singletary Josh Oliver  
      Johnathan Abram Germaine Pratt Joe Giles-Harris  
      Parris Campbell Bobby Evans Gary Johnson  
      Ben Banogu Christian Miller Dax Raymond  
        Tytus Howard Kingsley Keke  
        Kaleb McGary Jamal Davis  
        Blake Cashman Alex Barnes  
        Dillon Mitchell Terry Beckner  
        Vosean Joseph Dennis Daley  
        JoeJuan Williams    
        Mike Weber    
        Daylon Mack