2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Maybe the Dolphins will give us a 5th round pick to move up one spot and take D. Jones.  Or maybe the Giants will pass on a QB at 6 and trade up with us, giving us 17th overall and a 2nd round pick. 

I am going to be sweating bullets on draft day if Hock and White are both available 12th overall.  I don't even believe for a second the Packers would take Metcalf, so I'm not even worried about that one. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

After seeing the body types for Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith, my guess is Clelin Ferrell is the guy they're going to take.  Unless they're looking for a different body type as a sub-pass rusher.

You know I dig Ferrell.  In what you've seen in this draft class, where really should he end up?

Though I love him, I'm thinking 18-25 is where he should go.  But based on need, I don't know how he gets by both Washington and Carolina.

I still think he is in play at #12.  I'd prefer via a trade down, but I just don't see him getting past those teams.  What do you think?

43 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I am going to be sweating bullets on draft day if Hock and White are both available 12th overall.  I don't even believe for a second the Packers would take Metcalf, so I'm not even worried about that one. 

Kinda like this year when Edmunds and Derwin were there and we traded back? 

I would say in the moment trading back and not taking Derwin is probably the angriest I've been at a draft decision, and a close 2nd was drafting Nick Perry. I hated him, but he grew on me quickly. Obviously in hindsight I love Jaire and love how it worked out

Jawaan Taylor has been steadily climbing my list of targets at 12 and honestly with the EDGE signings would be one I’m excited with especially if Ferrell isn’t there. Dude has truly elite potential at RT and  would give us a massive right side of our line next to Turner. 

1 hour ago, fattlipp said:

Think they end up going Hock or more likely DL, Oliver or Wilkins even, prepping for Daniels leaving next year.  Simmons falling to 30 would be an option as well.

I'm about 98% sure it's going to either be an EDGE or DL.

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

The thing is, Hock's not likely to make it to our 30th pick. He's not even guaranteed to make it to 12 with Jacksonville signing Nick Foles, numerous mocks have him going to JAX at no.7 now that they no longer have to draft a QB. The Bills also need a TE after letting Clay go. 

If White, Gary or Oliver is there at 12, I'd say by all means, pull the trigger, but if they're all gone (and there's a good chance they will be), if you're Gute, you gotta at least be thinking about taking Hock. I wouldn't mind trading down and getting more picks, though. We could maybe pick up an extra third and use that to trade back into the second round.

The problem is this, would you rather have a Hock/Polite or a Burns/Fant pick combination?  For me, it's pretty clearly the latter.  Hock's range starts right around Jacksonville at 7, Detroit at 8, and Denver at 10.  If he gets to Green Bay, and they pass how far does he fall?  Miami has bigger fish to fry (pun intended), Atlanta has Austin Hooper, Washington has Jordan Reed, etc.  Carolina probably becomes the first landing spot with Greg Olsen retiring.  Maybe Minnesota entertains him at 18, but they figure to be in the market for OL.   You start getting into that 20-24 range and the cost to move up isn't insane.  You could probably move up utilizing our 3rd round pick.

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You know I dig Ferrell.  In what you've seen in this draft class, where really should he end up?

Though I love him, I'm thinking 18-25 is where he should go.  But based on need, I don't know how he gets by both Washington and Carolina.

I still think he is in play at #12.  I'd prefer via a trade down, but I just don't see him getting past those teams.  What do you think?

Sounds about right.  This year's EDGE class is really about fit.  Bosa is clearly the top EDGE, and Josh Allen is in that next tier below.  I think draftniks are higher on Josh Allen than NFL teams are, but that's just me speculating.  Montez Sweat is the biggest wildcard of the EDGE followed by Rashan Gary.  Sweat killed the Combine, and if it wasn't for Bosa he'd be the first EDGE off the board.  He's got the numbers and measurables that teams covet, even if the tape doesn't quite match it.  He's going top 8.  Detroit at 8 is his floor IMO.  I think Brian Burns has a very specific fit, and I don't think every franchise is going to value him very highly.  Jachai Polite is in the same mold, although definitely a lesser prospect.  In terms of where I'd anticipate the EDGE going, I'd anticipate Bosa in the top 3, Gary/Sweat/Allen in the top 12, and Ferrell in that 12-18 range.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I figure 12 is an Edge, a DL, or an OL in case Jawaan falls to them.  I feel like all the "tight end" talk is because it would be fun, not because it would be practical.  Just take Sternberger in the 3rd or something.  

For a team whose only drafted two-non premium positions in the first round since TT took over, I don't anticipate that changing this year.

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

For a team whose only drafted two-non premium positions in the first round since TT took over, I don't anticipate that changing this year.

I feel like the extra first buys you the opportunity to get cute with non-premium positions, but only at 30.  But I figure "Simmons coming off an ACL tear" is more likely than a guy who catches the ball if we're being luxurious.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like the extra first buys you the opportunity to get cute with non-premium positions, but only at 30.  But I figure "Simmons coming off an ACL tear" is more likely than a guy who catches the ball if we're being luxurious.

I see a team whose got an insane amount of flexibility and maneuverability.  Right now, we have an extra FRP, 4th, and 6th round pick.  I'm skeptical we'd roster 10 rookies.  I don't anticipate moving up from 12 unless we're talking about a small jump (i.e. as high as 9).  Back in 2016, the Bears used a 4th round pick to move from 11th to 9th.  Last year, the Cardinals dealt a 3rd and 5th to move from 15th to 10th.  There's precedent for that so if the right guy fell I'd anticipate the Packers would explore it.  They're not dealing 30 or 44 to move up.  The most they'd deal is their 3rd round pick.

At 30, this pick could go either way.  I think it's more likely they'd move down from this pick than move up, but it really depends on how the board shakes out.  We've got enough history of teams moving out of Day 1 into early Day 2 for a high 4th round pick.  We could be looking at teams looking to get that 5th year option on a QB.  We'd be potentially watching Oakland, NY Giants, Jacksonville, Denver, and Cincinnati as potential options.  They all own a 4th round pick.

14 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Jawaan Taylor has been steadily climbing my list of targets at 12 and honestly with the EDGE signings would be one I’m excited with especially if Ferrell isn’t there. Dude has truly elite potential at RT and  would give us a massive right side of our line next to Turner. 

14 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Also I really want Dexter Lawrence at 30. Dude is going to be a steal in that range an anchor inside for a team for the next decade. Think he’d make Clark better too. 

I do like the potential of OT Taylor (and Dillard, for that matter) at #12 and I do like Ferrell even more as an alternative, but the guy that looks like the best available value at #30 in the draft simulators, and this is common over many very different big boards on that simulator, is TE Hockenson. Personally, my favourite (if available) at #30 would be Jefferey Simmons, despite him recovering from an ACL, but Hockenson appears as available again and again, despite being rated higher than #30 (which is a reflection of draft needs as seen by the simulator).

Many mock drafts, despite all their many faults, can give some framework for a draft strategy. I found the better OTs disappearing very quickly, which reflects the demand in the NFL for competent OTs. You could pretty much take your pick of tackles at #12 (though Jonah Williams is sometimes gone), by #30 Jawaan Taylor, Andre Dillard, Cody Ford, Greg Little, are frequently off the board (some boards rank Dillard and Little lower). By #44 you expect to see Risner and Cajuste off the board. After that it's a lottery (I quite like small school prospect Tytus Howard later on, but I digress).

My other major desire is for a good Free Safety to pair with Amos, like Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill, Savage. That should be a #44 or #75 target, imo. A Safety room of Amos, J.Jones, a day two draft pick and one or two other backups, seems adequate. I'd like to see Josh Jackson there as well, but only if he fails to hold down a starting CB spot - I think Safety would suit Jackson very well.

My conclusions can be expressed like this.

If you want a starter-level OT, get him with one of the round one picks.
If you want a FS, get him with a day two pick.
If you want an Edge guy, you can get him almost anywhere, but after round one you will be lucky to get a good one. I recognise it is very tricky to separate the busts from the booms at this point. Guys you might like after round one include Z.Allen, Omenihu, Jackson, Banogu, Ferguson, Winovich, Bryant, Nelson. My favourites are Z.Allen and A.Nelson......and  good luck to you in sorting them out. This year is unusual, as there is a good chance of three solid candidates at #12 Burns, Sweat, Ferrell, most years you dont get that quality of choice at #12 (and this even takes into account that Polite has dropped).
If you want a TE you can get potentially special ones, at #30 (if lucky), lesser ones in round 2, with interesting-potential candidates like Jace Sternberger from round 3 onwards.

Archived