2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Just now, CWood21 said:

There's a little thing you're forgetting to take into account.  The QB factor.  What QB is a team trading up for at 12?  Based on current rumors, Kyler Murray is off to the desert and Dwayne Haskins probably comes off the board shortly after.

I was going to like this and say "Good point," but then you hurt my feelings by lumping me in with Flat Earthers and Moon deniers. 

@Packerraymond, you've moved up to #1. 

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Because that’s easy to say when you aren’t under the microscope.

Murray went out and competed at the highest level he is allowed and did very well. Most of those guys/kids would say go watch the tape to see me as a football player.

And it matters a great deal if it means him going 1st or 10th. Nothing is guaranteed in the nfl so he needs to maximize it now.

My point is it doesn’t matter... measured or not, it’s his narrative. When the official number is in question for like only him... it’s just the narrative. So measure or don’t... doesn’t matter

Listen - I'm not saying I personally care about the guy - but the above "argument" could be applied to any of the many metrics gleaned from these players - AND - applied by "draft-niks" far more into it than I:

He ran a 40 faster....look at that time. 
He jumped higher....
He bends....twists.....is more flexible than so and so.
He's got more "burst" than so and so.
His hands are small.
His stride is short.

People - up and down the draft process - from coaches to pundits to people on social media - apply those metrics ALL THE TIME to a wide spectrum of players and positions. Why does the height of a QB matter less than those metrics? There was keen interest in Murray's height going in to the combine. There was question (on some parts) about his height coming out of the combine. Well - since we're arbitrarily applying which metrics we chose to adhere to - it doesnt matter. So there.

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'd personally like to double down on future draft pick trades in light of signing the Smiths. 

I just no longer see tremendous value at 12th overall now that we don't have an imperative need for a pass rusher. 

I don't see Burns/Sweat/Polite/Ferrell as future elite players, still don't want White 12th overall, and can't really get excited about anyone else.

Greedy Williams is a little bit enticing.  Ed Oliver definitely is.  Other than those two, I can't get excited about anybody at 12th overall and I'd rather just take another shot at cracking the top 10 next year by trading 12th overall to someone like the Steelers/Raiders/Ravens/Texans/Chargers for their first this year and next year. 

Done with kicking the can down the road for draft picks.  Don't want any more #1's for down the road.  If anything, if you want that elite player so bad .. trade up this year with the draft amo we currently have.   

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Done with kicking the can down the road for draft picks.  Don't want any more #1's for down the road.  If anything, if you want that elite player so bad .. trade up this year with the draft amo we currently have.   

Is there going to be an elite player at 12?  I haven't finished my evaluations, but I'm not sure the difference between 12 and 18 is very big.

We're in a perfect position to keep putting eggs into the top 10 basket. 

We don't need a franchise elite player right now, we just need a team, and free agency has provided that. 

We have a team now that can match up against any team in the league.  We really weren't that far away from competing against some pretty stellar teams last year with a bad head coach.  Down to the wire until a Jones fumble against the Patriots, down to 2 minutes until Montgomery against the Rams.

Those are the Super Bowl teams, and we were right there with both of them. 

We are not in dire need of a cornerstone piece on this team.  In fact, we're in one of the best positions for a "rebuilding" team ever.  Franchise LT, franchise WR, franchise DL, franchise CB, all-time great QB for 4-6 more years. 

Now we just added two pass rushers and a safety for the next four years. 

If you see an elite talent at 12th overall, obviously you take him.  Jonah Williams, Ed Oliver, Greedy Williams... If you see one of those three as an elite 10 year prospect all-pro/pro bowl player, take them and don't look back. 

But if you see them as some 16-32 prospect, I don't see why you wouldn't try everything you can to trade down into that 20-32 range and get another shot at a high pick in 2020. 

Everybody's probably a little gun shy after how the Saints season went, but the Saints were dangerously close to falling apart. 

A loss against the Buccaneers and a near loss against the Browns could have spiraled out of hand. 

Imagine having the Ravens or Steelers first round pick (20th, 22nd) and counting on them to have a good season.  Steelers have been falling apart for a while now and McCarthy is waiting that coaching situation out.  The Ravens just lost everybody on defense and teams aren't going to be fooled by their extreme run offense heading into 2019. 

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Listen - I'm not saying I personally care about the guy - but the above "argument" could be applied to any of the many metrics gleaned from these players - AND - applied by "draft-niks" far more into it than I:

He ran a 40 faster....look at that time. 
He jumped higher....
He bends....twists.....is more flexible than so and so.
He's got more "burst" than so and so.
His hands are small.
His stride is short.

People - up and down the draft process - from coaches to pundits to people on social media - apply those metrics ALL THE TIME to a wide spectrum of players and positions. Why does the height of a QB matter less than those metrics? There was keen interest in Murray's height going in to the combine. There was question (on some parts) about his height coming out of the combine. Well - since we're arbitrarily applying which metrics we chose to adhere to - it doesnt matter. So there.

All I’m saying is we all know Murray is short by nfl, qb, standards. Measure him as much or as little as you want.

Doesnt matter.

There isn’t some magic threshold, no half inch is going to be the sole reason a GM should or shouldn’t draft him. It’s a narrative. To make for entertainment. Anyone that cares he didn’t measure at his pro day... just loves the media circuit and the entertainment machine.

Murray can only do what he feels is right. He was short at the start of the college season, he will be short during the draft, he will be short opening day for the nfl season. The second he won’t be short is when he wins a super bowl.

4 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Why are we even discussing Kyler Murray? lol

Didn’t hear? Green Bay traded  Rodgers to Arizona for the 1st overall... need to figure out if Murray is short or not.

Man remember when Rodgers was too short at 6’2”...

times are a changing

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

All I’m saying is we all know Murray is short by nfl, qb, standards. Measure him as much or as little as you want.

Doesnt matter.

There isn’t some magic threshold, no half inch is going to be the sole reason a GM should or shouldn’t draft him. It’s a narrative. To make for entertainment. Anyone that cares he didn’t measure at his pro day... just loves the media circuit and the entertainment machine.

Murray can only do what he feels is right. He was short at the start of the college season, he will be short during the draft, he will be short opening day for the nfl season. The second he won’t be short is when he wins a super bowl.

Fine. It doesnt matter. I look forward to your applying that principle to all other players then. Consistency does matter.

Just now, Leader said:

Fine. It doesnt matter. I look forward to your applying that principle to all other players then. Consistency does matter.

Did being a Tedford QB end up mattering for Rodgers?

Fact is it’s not any ONE thing. You need to look at everything. His height is only an issue if you have a HC, OC, etc that want a tall QB and don’t believe in short QBs.

Speed didn’t matter for Rice. Height hasn’t matter for Brees and Wilson. Murray won’t fail because of his height.

He is going to fail because he is likely drafted by Arizona and has a HC who is likely out of the league in 3 years ala Lane Kiffin. Haha

Archived