2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 minute ago, KManX89 said:

I wouldn't sell the farm for JA with both Smiths locked as our edge rushers for the forseeable future. We can kick ZDS inside with JA and PS coming off the edge on certain downs, but again, not sure it's worth the burnt capital and we already have Fackrell with which we can do that at least for another year.

I wouldn't bank on Sackrell getting close to 10 sacks again this coming season. He had 14 pressures which means he was damned lucky to get 10.5 sacks. If we got Allen now you're talking serious depth where you can come in waves and nobody has to get so many snaps they wear down late in the year. 

You can never have enough pass rushers. I'm good with Oliver at 12 though. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

My favorite movie hasn't changed in 12 years, and it ain't about to be surpassed by a comic book movie. 

Still Endgame would be a great screen name.

How was the re-make?  Never saw it.  Can't replicate the original in my mind.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I can't afford Devin White at 12th overall.  The entire fabric of my universe would collapse at this point if that was to happen now.  So I am officially on the trade out of 12th overall bandwagon.  Get extra 2020 first round pick. 

Don't worry, it will be Devin Bush.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Still Endgame would be a great screen name.

How was the re-make?  Never saw it.  Can't replicate the original in my mind.

It wasn't a remake, it was a prequel.  Has a couple redeeming qualities to it, but it was awful overall.  I still watch it from time to time, so it wasn't a complete waste.

The funny thing is, even after the Turner signing, our LG spot is still upgradeable. 

Still take an OL high? J. Williams/Ford in 1st? Lindstrom/Risner at 44?

I gotta admit, the prospect of having a top offensive line AND Hock in MLF's offense after getting Pettine the guys he needs in free agency has me salivating at the mouth, though a high pick on a safety wouldn't hurt, either. 

As of now, my favorite options are;

12- White, Hock,  J Williams- All 3 make a ton of sense (white, the piece that makes the D complete, Hock- the piece that we can use to make the O complete,, Williams- a 10 year RT

30- Really whoever falls- Bush, Dilliard, Polite maybe, Adderly, Fant

5 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

The funny thing is, even after the Turner signing, our LG spot is still upgradeable. 

Still take an OL high? J. Williams/Ford in 1st? Lindstrom/Risner at 44?

I gotta admit, the prospect of having a top offensive line AND Hock in MLF's offense after getting Pettine the guys he needs in free agency has me salivating at the mouth, though a high pick on a safety wouldn't hurt, either. 

Would still like to see Risner @44.  Hard pass on J. Williams.  Ford better nail his pro day cuz his combine sucked.

Bolded- Do you salivate other places?

13 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

As of now, my favorite options are;

12- White, Hock,  J Williams- All 3 make a ton of sense (white, the piece that makes the D complete, Hock- the piece that we can use to make the O complete,, Williams- a 10 year RT

30- Really whoever falls- Bush, Dilliard, Polite maybe, Adderly, Fant

Word on the street is there's more than a few teams ahead of us that will want to snag White.

Wonder if he'll be the 2019 version of Tremaine Edmunds - who was also highly coveted and virtually guaranteed to go top 10 - who dropped to us and beyond (Pick 16). Hmmmmmm. Bears watching. No. Not the Chicago Bears. I think they're done drafting ILBs for awhile :)

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Word on the street is there's more than a few teams ahead of us that will want to snag White.

Wonder if he'll be the 2019 version of Tremaine Edmunds - who was also highly coveted and virtually guaranteed to go top 10 - who dropped to us and beyond (Pick 16). Hmmmmmm. Bears watching. No. Not the Chicago Bears. I think they're done drafting ILBs for awhile :)

They are close to being done drafting in 2019 already! I think they have 4 picks and none until round 3 or 4. 

20 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Would still like to see Risner @44.  Hard pass on J. Williams.  Ford better nail his pro day cuz his combine sucked.

I'd be down for taking an OL with either of our 1sts or our 2nd as a future starting RT to replace Bulaga, possible plug-and-play starting LG, or both. If Jerruh taught us anything, it's that having a top OL, running game and defense is a damn good formula for winning games, especially when you have one of the top 2 QBs in the game. MLF says he wants to run the ball more, a line of Bahk-Lindstrom-Linsley-Turner-Bulaga with Graham and Hock in 2 TE sets will give Rodg the protection he needs and add a dual threat weapon as both a receiver and blocker (this would effectively make him a 6th OL who can also catch passes out of the backfield) while opening holes in the run game. This'll keep the defense well-rested and allow both Smiths to swarm the QB with a fresh set of legs.

So, what do people think about the way ahead (in the draft) with the addition of two edge guys, one SS and a RG (and the loss of Perry and very likely Matthews).

Is an edge guy off the table ? I don't think so, there are several picks around #12 that seem adequate value. Ferrell, Burns and Sweat are options, and you can never have too many pass rushers. A pick at #12 might net an elite pass rusher  at the slotted contract price for the next five years. This does not mean it would be the best positional choice available, but it might net the best player.

Will the Packers stay at #12. The need to stay at #12 is far less compelling than it was before the FA acquisitions. They could drop down a few spots in the draft and pick up extra picks this year. They could even drop down a fair distance for another teams 1st this year AND 1st next year. There is something to be said for two first round picks next year, though it is unlikely to be a popular move with fans.

Pick #12 has a good chance of delivering good-value options at DL. Wilkins or Oliver might be available and could be firmly on the table, now that the edge position has been addressed. Equally the Packers may like the idea of ILB Devin White to add pressure from inside - i don't see that, but it doesn't mean the Packers think the same.

One thing that does need to be looked at is that certain positions that were always likely to be addressed may now be taken earlier in the draft. For me, the most likely projection of what would happen WAS something Edge, OT, FS, TE. Now it could well be DL, TE, FS, RB. The previously mildly muddy draft waters have now become almost impenetrable, given all the directions the Packers could move towards, on draft day. Things that looked unlikely before today, like a WR taken in (for example) round two, are now more likely than they were.

One potential wild card is if LaFleur wants a RB enough to spend a second day draft pick on one. He likes the run game, so I couldn't rule that out.

For me, there will probably be value at DL in round one (maybe round two), value at FS in rounds 2 or 3, value at TE in rounds 1 to 3 or 4,  value at OT in round one (with some more developmental guys in rounds 2-3), value at WR in rounds 2-5. No-one knows exactly who will be available, but we can get some idea of the range for the talented players at various positions, now it's just who do you prefer from the likely choices available at the various draft spots.

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

So, what do people think about the way ahead (in the draft) with the addition of two edge guys, one SS and a RG (and the loss of Perry and very likely Matthews).

Is an edge guy off the table ? I don't think so, there are several picks around #12 that seem adequate value. Ferrell, Burns and Sweat are options, and you can never have too many pass rushers. A pick at #12 might net an elite pass rusher  at the slotted contract price for the next five years. This does not mean it would be the best positional choice available, but it might net the best player.

Will the Packers stay at #12. The need to stay at #12 is far less compelling than it was before the FA acquisitions. They could drop down a few spots in the draft and pick up extra picks this year. They could even drop down a fair distance for another teams 1st this year AND 1st next year. There is something to be said for two first round picks next year, though it is unlikely to be a popular move with fans.

Pick #12 has a good chance of delivering good-value options at DL. Wilkins or Oliver might be available and could be firmly on the table, now that the edge position has been addressed. Equally the Packers may like the idea of ILB Devin White to add pressure from inside - i don't see that, but it doesn't mean the Packers think the same.

One thing that does need to be looked at is that certain positions that were always likely to be addressed may now be taken earlier in the draft. For me, the most likely projection of what would happen WAS something Edge, OT, FS, TE. Now it could well be DL, TE, FS, RB. The previously mildly muddy draft waters have now become almost impenetrable, given all the directions the Packers could move towards, on draft day. Things that looked unlikely before today, like a WR taken in (for example) round two, are now more likely than they were.

One potential wild card is if LaFleur wants a RB enough to spend a second day draft pick on one. He likes the run game, so I couldn't rule that out.

For me, there will probably be value at DL in round one (maybe round two), value at FS in rounds 2 or 3, value at TE in rounds 1 to 3 or 4,  value at OT in round one (with some more developmental guys in rounds 2-3), value at WR in rounds 2-5. No-one knows exactly who will be available, but we can get some idea of the range for the talented players at various positions, now it's just who do you prefer from the likely choices available at the various draft spots.

I didn't think Christian Wilkins was in play for 12 before today with so many prominent edge rushers likely available at that spot, but now it's something we can definitely look at. 

I think some of the Packers early picks will be guys that can step in when guys like Blake Martinez and Mike Daniels leave town.  I think a Devin Smith or Devin Bush  is a possibility.  Ed Oliver is another one that I think will be high on Gute's list.  I could see Greedy being a possibility with King being hurt all the time.

You can stash this in the "Who Knows?" or "Food For Thought" file.....

Herman: I’m not saying they will, but I think today’s free agency moves increases the likelihood that GB would consider moving down in the draft. TE could easily be a target. Moving to 18-20, picking up one of the two Iowa TE’s and another 2nd could be a real option.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

You can stash this in the "Who Knows?" or "Food For Thought" file.....

Herman: I’m not saying they will, but I think today’s free agency moves increases the likelihood that GB would consider moving down in the draft. TE could easily be a target. Moving to 18-20, picking up one of the two Iowa TE’s and another 2nd could be a real option.

I'm in if the true studs are gone. If a guy like Oliver, J. Allen or R. Gary slides I think we have to stay and grab that person. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense. 

Archived