2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It certainly does impact the draft

.........and this is why. 

As I posted elsewhere, the Packers can now move back in the draft if they get a good enough offer. They can pick positions other than pass rusher at #12, not draft a guard, not have to double-dip at safety, etc. They probably WILL draft a guard (or at least a tackle to convert to guard), a safety and very possibly another pass rusher - but they don't HAVE to do that now.

Now it is much more of an MFP draft (most favourite player) at each draft position for Gute, than it was two days ago. He doesn't have total freedom of course, all GMs are constrained to some degree by the roster they have, but he has much more freedom than before. I expect in the first four rounds to produce a TE and a Safety, but they have six picks in those rounds, so there is plenty of positional flexibility available to them. They may be enamoured with the DL position, as it is such a good year for that position group. The same applies to Edge rusher and WR, well above average depth at all those positions.

I agree with both of you and I guess to clarify on what I meant is that the draft should always be picking the BPA instead of a need. Even if we had a hole at one spot, I am not reaching for a player to fill that hole over higher graded players. I figure where we are sitting in the draft, a pass rusher will most likely be the BPA and we should draft them regardless of the 2 signings we just made. I think we all agree but said it in different ways.

I think Green Bay would still be wise to draft an edge early (first 2 rounds)... its one of the deepest classes for that position in awhile and unless you’re New England, most teams need to have rotating depth.

Green Bay got 2 solid guys... better then what it was, still not good enough.

I don’t think FA changed much. Edge/pressuring the QB is still a big need, maybe not a clear number one like it was. And having good safety play is still a big need. The issue merely was Green Bay needed like 3-4 guys at edge and 2 guys at safety going into the offseason because the cabinet was empty.

Still need numbers there.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Apparently Murray does.

Didn’t he measure at the combine? And he was fine height wise for a shorter QB?

Its like the 40... if you go to the combine and run sub 4.4, is there really any reason to run again?

He got officially measured... what’s the big deal. He didn’t grow or shrink. It just teams  assassinating guys so they might fall to them.

Just now, Green19 said:

Didn’t he measure at the combine? And he was fine height wise for a shorter QB?

Its like the 40... if you go to the combine and run sub 4.4, is there really any reason to run again?

He got officially measured... what’s the big deal. He didn’t grow or shrink. It just teams  assassinating guys so they might fall to them.

Did he weigh at the combine? Why'd he do that again? There was some question "post combine" if he'd been measured properly. Was that....questioning....put out by "teams assassinating guys?" Perhaps so. Perhaps not. I dont know other than to get a remeasure would put the matter to rest.

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kyler Murray only weighs in at his pro day. No height measurement. Weighs in at 205.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................  :)

Did that at combine so why do it again? It's not like he shrunk. 

I don't care, because I'm firmly in the "no way you take him" camp, but rumor has it his combine measurement was generous. Have no clue how or what, just heard it in passing somewhere. That and I'm sure he tries to avoid the drama and follow up questions as much as possible

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Did he weigh at the combine? Why'd he do that again? There was some question "post combine" if he'd been measured properly. Was that....questioning....put out by "teams assassinating guys?" Perhaps so. Perhaps not. I dont know other than to get a remeasure would put the matter to rest.

But would it really? It’s at his pro day at OU. People will just say they cooked the number still.

Murray is going to be “short” until he isn’t. And by that I mean until he consistently plays well and wins games in the NFL.

See Brees, Wilson, and Mayfield

I'd personally like to double down on future draft pick trades in light of signing the Smiths. 

I just no longer see tremendous value at 12th overall now that we don't have an imperative need for a pass rusher. 

I don't see Burns/Sweat/Polite/Ferrell as future elite players, still don't want White 12th overall, and can't really get excited about anyone else.

Greedy Williams is a little bit enticing.  Ed Oliver definitely is.  Other than those two, I can't get excited about anybody at 12th overall and I'd rather just take another shot at cracking the top 10 next year by trading 12th overall to someone like the Steelers/Raiders/Ravens/Texans/Chargers for their first this year and next year. 

Archived