2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

On 11/19/2018 at 2:15 PM, JBURGE said:

Aaron Jones isn't a player we will put in the slot oir split out wide. The Saints have Kamara and Ingram on the field at the same time. Tyreek plays everywhere. Bell can play everywhere. 

Tyreek hill is a WR who plays in the slot and outside...

He can run with the football, but he doesn't take carries running north south very often.

6 hours ago, Cheech said:

Agree with @Nick_gb 

Two years ago the Packers drafted three backs on day 3 and hit on two of them.  Not just every once in a while - every year we see day 3 running backs come in to the league and produce at a high level.

Too many needs exist at S, EDGE, LB, and OL to take a backup RB in the first two or even three rounds

Hell - we only give Aaron jones 15 snaps per game.  What's going to be left over for the backup?

That's under our current doofus of a Head Coach, who gets fired in my mock by for coaches that will bring in more of a balanced attack. Bieniemy has a good success record with RBs.

The problem I see is that if/when Cobb walks, we also traded Monty, now our offense lacks guys who can hurt defenses in the open field -- especially if we really do up the number of touches that Aaron Jones gets, which necessarily increases the risk of him getting injured.

Jones is great and I love his play, but then I do not want to be 1 injury away from becoming 1-dimensional on offense because we lack dynamic players. Williams is fine for what he does well but he does NOT adequately replace what Jones brings to the offense. He's a 1-cut runner who can catch and block, but not a guy that DCs lose a wink of sleep over.

Love will get a handful of snaps weekly, ensures the offense does not fall apart in the event of a Jones injury while we're man contending for the playoffs/SuperBowl, and likely would also handle return duties on a full-time basis

Also, "too many needs" is a moot point. Nobody fills every need in the draft, nor should they be need-focused. That's how you reach and draft bad value while other teams steal better players. Besides, we'll have four picks in the first three rounds, including two in the 1st, so I'm not sure where the mentality of lack is coming from. 

I would also dispute that our need for LB or OL are at all pressing, especially when our OL has been built around athletic tweener linemen that you can find easily in the mids. I would even dispute that EDGE is an absolute must early, but I do think we should get one relatively early anyway, so whatever.

1 minute ago, Gopher Trace said:

That's under our current doofus of a Head Coach, who gets fired in my mock by for coaches that will bring in more of a balanced attack. Bieniemy has a good success record with RBs.

The problem I see is that if/when Cobb walks, we also traded Monty, now our offense lacks guys who can hurt defenses in the open field -- especially if we really do up the number of touches that Aaron Jones gets, which necessarily increases the risk of him getting injured.

Jones is great and I love his play, but then I do not want to be 1 injury away from becoming 1-dimensional on offense because we lack dynamic players. Williams is fine for what he does well but he does NOT adequately replace what Jones brings to the offense. He's a 1-cut runner who can catch and block, but not a guy that DCs lose a wink of sleep over.

Love will get a handful of snaps weekly, ensures the offense does not fall apart in the event of a Jones injury while we're man contending for the playoffs/SuperBowl, and likely would also handle return duties on a full-time basis

If we got an upgrade at RG, for instance, we'd take one of the worst positions on the team and potentially fix it for 8 to 10 years.

Our current hodge podge at RG is blowing 3 to 5 offensive plays per game.  

Take that and put a young guy in there who can get to the 2nd level in the running game, get out on screens and make a key block, and not get pushed into 12's lap on obvious passing downs and the offense could turn those 3 to 5 blown plays into explosive gains.  

Just an illustration - I don't have a player in mind or a round - but this is true of our current EDGE position, safety, and to some extent, linebacker.  

7 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Our current hodge podge at RG is blowing 3 to 5 offensive plays per game.  

Take that and put a young guy in there who can get to the 2nd level in the running game, get out on screens and make a key block, and not get pushed into 12's lap on obvious passing downs and the offense could turn those 3 to 5 blown plays into explosive gains.  

Just an illustration - I don't have a player in mind or a round - but this is true of our current EDGE position, safety, and to some extent, linebacker.  

Okay, then get a guy in the mids for that, as we have been doing for our OL for some time now.

People bring up Sitton/Lang as our best G duo in some time? Both 4th-rounders. Linsley was a 5th.

Why go OL high when we have been getting this kind of success taking them later?

14 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

Okay, then get a guy in the mids for that, as we have been doing for our OL for some time now.

People bring up Sitton/Lang as our best G duo in some time? Both 4th-rounders. Linsley was a 5th.

Why go OL high when we have been getting this kind of success taking them later?

We got Tramon Williams* and Sam Shields in UDFA, so why even draft corners?

Yeah, both guards and running backs can be found in the middle rounds - and franchise left tackles if you're lucky.  

I'd just be upset to see a premium draft pick got to running back when we hardly have a line to run behind.  We've been really lucky on the injury front this year along the OL.  One or two injuries along the OL next year would leave the offense in shambles.  

One of the boys from Wisconsin could change the whole complexion of that line, though.  

Hard pass on Love - and any other running back in the first two rounds of almost any draft.

*I know, TW didn't initially sign with us as a UDFA...

4 minutes ago, Cheech said:

We got Tramon Williams* and Sam Shields in UDFA, so why even draft corners?

Yeah, both guards and running backs can be found in the middle rounds - and franchise left tackles if you're lucky.  

I'd just be upset to see a premium draft pick got to running back when we hardly have a line to run behind.  We've been really lucky on the injury front this year along the OL.  One or two injuries along the OL next year would leave the offense in shambles.   an

One of the boys from Wisconsin could change the whole complexion of that line, though.  

Hard pass on Love - and any other running back in the first two rounds of almost any draft.

*I know, TW didn't initially sign with us as a UDFA...

It should go without saying that the difference between your deliberately-obtuse analogy and what I'm referring to is that there are far, far more examples of quality O-lineman in the mids or later than at pretty much any other position. There's a reason for it, too.

Our OL has been doing a great job this year, particularly in the ground game. I have no clue what makes you think we can hardly run behind what we have.

18 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

It should go without saying that the difference between your deliberately-obtuse analogy and what I'm referring to is that there are far, far more examples of quality O-lineman in the mids or later than at pretty much any other position. There's a reason for it, too.

Our OL has been doing a great job this year, particularly in the ground game. I have no clue what makes you think we can hardly run behind what we have.

Running back might be the only other position other than OL where you regularly find starting quality players in the mid to late rounds.  

Archived