2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Josh Jones is an ILB. He's not Nick Collins.

I'm hoping that comparison was in terms of Collins being a late bloomer, and not their play.  Because I'd definitely agree with you about him being more of an ILB than a FS.

4 hours ago, Packers Select said:

Almost reminds me of Doctson when he came out, if Doctson had eaten Doctson. Better route runner as well.

Yup, not sure hes there, but if he is there end of round 2, but if he is, take that business to the bank.  6'6 of gigantic route running red zone target awesomeness

I don't feel like starting a new thread for a mock but I'll do a mini-mock in post-form here:

*Packers finish 8-7-1, awarded pick 16
Fired: Michael BEAVER McCarthy, Shmoe Philbin, Ron Kook
Hired: Dave Toub (HC and de-facto STs), Eric Bieniemy (OC and Assistant HC)

Free Agency
Retain: Matthews (team-friendly, maybe hometown-discount), Wilkerson (another prove-it type deal), Breeland, Kendricks, Bell, Ryan, GMo, all ERFAs
Depart: Cobb, Lewis, House
Acquisitions: Tre Boston - S, AZ; Mike Mitchell - S, IND.

Draft (Days 1 & 2 only) --
1a.) Rashan Gary - DL, Michigan: would go Top-10 in a class without Bosa and Oliver, Pettine could turn him into what he had in Wilkerson with NYJ (beast)
1b.) Bryce Love - RB, Stanford: if/when Cobb leaves, we'll really lack quickness from our skill players on O. Bieniemy is a RB guy who'd make his game shine
2.) Jachai Polite - EDGE, Florida: I'm of the mind that edge-rushers are not the game-changers they were, but we'll need youth regardless after Clay/Perry
3.) Jaquan Johnson - S, Miami: in the likelier event we do not land two free-agent safeties or land D. Thompson in the 1st, Johnson is another target worth having on your radar

5 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

I don't feel like starting a new thread for a mock but I'll do a mini-mock in post-form here:

Hired: Dave Toub (HC and de-facto STs), Eric Bieniemy (OC and Assistant HC)

Free Agency
Retain: Matthews (team-friendly, maybe hometown-discount), Wilkerson (another prove-it type deal), Breeland, Kendricks, Bell, Ryan, GMo, all ERFAs
Depart: Cobb, Lewis, House
Acquisitions: Tre Boston - S, AZ; Mike Mitchell - S, IND.

Draft (Days 1 & 2 only) --
1a.) Rashan Gary - DL, Michigan: would go Top-10 in a class without Bosa and Oliver, Pettine could turn him into what he had in Wilkerson with NYJ (beast)
1b.) Bryce Love - RB, Stanford: if/when Cobb leaves, we'll really lack quickness from our skill players on O. Bieniemy is a RB guy who'd make his game shine
2.) Jachai Polite - EDGE, Florida: I'm of the mind that edge-rushers are not the game-changers they were, but we'll need youth regardless after Clay/Perry
3.) Jaquan Johnson - S, Miami: in the likelier event we do not land two free-agent safeties or land D. Thompson in the 1st, Johnson is another target worth having on your radar

I'm a big Aaron Jones fan and maybe that clouds my judgment but I can't understand these mocks that are looking to grab a RB high. I've been very pleased with what we have at that position. We all screamed for 9 games this year to feed Aaron Jones and when we do and he gives us the results we knew he could, we start seeing mocks come out of taking a RB high. Are we never going to be pleased with what we have a that position?

3 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

Now for the important question.

If McCarthy gets kicked to the curb and Pettine stays on, does Assistant Head Coach Winston Moss, who has been such a key figure in all the success enjoyed by the Packers defense especially the Pack's outstanding linebacker play, keep his job?

50 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Now for the important question.

If McCarthy gets kicked to the curb and Pettine stays on, does Assistant Head Coach Winston Moss, who has been such a key figure in all the success enjoyed by the Packers defense especially the Pack's outstanding linebacker play, keep his job?

To quote Ralph Kramden: hardy har har! 

Been watching the OLB's from this class and will definitely be changing my mock fr the next one. I think Allen from Kentucky will go top 8, then Polite from Florida is my new man crush. The kid looks like a more stout Dee Ford. With how deep this class is I really would not mind adding 2 pass rushers with our first two picks. 

3 hours ago, moretti19 said:

Been watching the OLB's from this class and will definitely be changing my mock fr the next one. I think Allen from Kentucky will go top 8, then Polite from Florida is my new man crush. The kid looks like a more stout Dee Ford. With how deep this class is I really would not mind adding 2 pass rushers with our first two picks. 

Yeah, unfortunately Josh Allen is playing himself well past our selection.  I think you could make an argument he's the second best EDGE in this year's class behind Bosa.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah, unfortunately Josh Allen is playing himself well past our selection.  I think you could make an argument he's the second best EDGE in this year's class behind Bosa.

I agree, he would be competing with Ferrell. Have not seen any video but there are suppose to be quite a bit of tier two guys that can be had in rd 2.

Two 1st rounds -Edge/DL and OL any order,   2d and RB(Big Hammer- Leonard Fournette like) to commplament Jones,   3d round- Safty.   4th round more OL since it looks like the Pack whiffed on OL in 2018.     Rounds 5, 6 7 BPA (maybe a kicker in there)  

8 hours ago, SAM said:

Two 1st rounds -Edge/DL and OL any order,   2d and RB(Big Hammer- Leonard Fournette like) to commplament Jones,   3d round- Safty.   4th round more OL since it looks like the Pack whiffed on OL in 2018.     Rounds 5, 6 7 BPA (maybe a kicker in there)  

Agree with @Nick_gb 

Two years ago the Packers drafted three backs on day 3 and hit on two of them.  Not just every once in a while - every year we see day 3 running backs come in to the league and produce at a high level.

Too many needs exist at S, EDGE, LB, and OL to take a backup RB in the first two or even three rounds.  

Hell - we only give Aaron jones 15 snaps per game.  What's going to be left over for the backup?

Archived