2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

On 11/18/2018 at 11:21 PM, chillparsi1 said:

Would definitely be a bit antsy waiting that long to grab an OL. Esp with Bulaga aging I’d love to see us grab a swing tackle on day 2. I think my ideal first 4 are:

1a: OLB

1b: DL (Daniels aging, Wilkerson unclear, Clark playing A LOT of snaps)

2: Safety

3: Swing tackle

Leaning towards this being our best route plus I like the idea of building our defense even more.  

1a: Jachai Polite

1b: Jerry Tillery

2: Jaquan Johnson/Chauncey Gardner

3: best available offensive lineman

4: WR and TE with our two picks. 

My only issue here is, I think we really need a playmaking wideout to replace Cobb and that could take a higher pick than round 4. A guy like Paris Campbell or Marquiese Brown. Not sure if there is a guy like that in free agency.  Tight End could also be a wildcard. 

Another option: we sign a free agent OLB.

1a: Deionte Thompson

1b: Brian Burns

2: Paris Campbell 

4: DL/TE/OL 

On 11/19/2018 at 11:28 AM, JBURGE said:

I want an edge rusher with the first pick, or in the first round. But I also want to come out of this off-season with a player like Tarik Cohen. You can find guys like that in mid rounds most years but they're relevant now. Tyreek is literally a generational talent and we won't be able to get him, but I want a shifty offensive tool. All the top teams have one now

I also don't care if we would need to spend a 1st to get one, but obviously if you're doing that you want someone on Hill or Kamara's level

I agree that this a big need, we need to add an explosive playmaker who is a home run threat and can work the middle of the field. Marquiese Brown and Paris Campbell come to mind, I’m sure there are a few others. 

The question I have in this draft is whether to draft the biggest need first..............or the best player.

Most fans will say best player (BPA is almost an NFL mantra)................but when it actually comes down to it, they have a shopping list of position groups most in need of upgrading, and they walk down that list when deciding who they want or when doing a mock draft. So do you go early for a 'biggest need', for example pass rusher, offensive tackle, safety, early ? Those three positions could  really do with a starter-quality addition. Some might want a TE in there, a few might feel the need for a quality OG early, but you get the picture.

Given this year is said to be a once in a generation one for DLs, it is very possible that the best value is DT/DE. So how are you feeling about DL as the first pick ?

There isn't an easy answer to this question. You have to decide how much better the best available D lineman is, than a pick elsewhere. On a sliding scale, if the difference is tiny you might go instead for a player at a position of most need and lose virtually nothing, but the bigger the talent gap, the more attractive the DL pick becomes. Early picks are also complicated further by starter-level guys at certain positions going off the board very fast - pass rushers and offensive tackles are arguably two of the Packers big needs that tend to go in the first two rounds.

To be more specific, are (for example) Mississippi State's DL Jeffery Simmons or Michigan's DL Rashan Gary, better than Alabama safety Deionte Thompson or Ole Miss's OT Greg Little. or Florida pass rusher Jachai Polite ? (I'm assuming DLs Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver are gone). No-one knows exactly who will be available, or even where the Packers will pick, but you can game certain combinations and decide who you would take.

'Take the BPA' is an easy statement to make, but really it doesn't tell you anything. In the real world it is down to choosing a specific player over others, and which one is BPA is a hugely subjective subject.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The Packers have so many needs right now that position doesn't have to be considered. Go best player available. Remaining holes should be filled with FAs.

When the roster is healthy, I don't think there are too many holes at all.  EDGE and Safety need upgrades, but those are the only significant "holes" I see without someone with some potential there for next season. Getting the roster even close to healthy would be a miracle though.

The Packers have so many needs right now that position doesn't have to be considered. Go best player available. Remaining holes should be filled with FAs.

I agree with this ... the way our players drop like flies we are going to need someone at several different positions sooner rather than later.

17 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

When the roster is healthy, I don't think there are too many holes at all.  EDGE and Safety need upgrades, but those are the only significant "holes" I see without someone with some potential there for next season. Getting the roster even close to healthy would be a miracle though.

I see the problem as being mainly offense. Right guard is a huge need. Left guard and center should be upgraded. Graham and Lewis are tapering off, so TE needs help. There's really nothing after Jones at RB. 

That said, I would go BPA in the draft. That probably means defense given the strength of this coming draft class. But both fourth round picks need to be IOL. Somewhere in the draft we have to pick up another Aaron Jones. Imagine this offense if he goes down? Next year the rookie WRs will have some experience. I have great hope for MVS, EQ, and maybe even Kumerow. There still seems to be something missing though. I'm not entirely comfortable with that group (Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ). Activate and play Kumerow (IR Davis to make room). If Kumerow isn't that missing piece, then WR should be a prime target in FA. I don't think we need a superstar WR, just a good, competent possession WR. Like Allison, but with more speed. At TE, hopefully Tonyan develops, but since it takes so long for TEs to develop, another vet should be brought in to replace Lewis, Kendricks, or both. 

Once the offense starts clicking, the defense is going to look a lot better. An EDGE player with our #1 pick, a FA safety (they seem to be available and come reasonably priced), and someone to replace Wilkerson, if he can't come back, and I think we go into 2019 a pretty good defense. The offense just has to score more than 17 points to win in today's NFL.

I see the problem as being mainly offense. Right guard is a huge need. Left guard and center should be upgraded. Graham and Lewis are tapering off, so TE needs help. There's really nothing after Jones at RB. 

That said, I would go BPA in the draft. That probably means defense given the strength of this coming draft class. But both fourth round picks need to be IOL. Somewhere in the draft we have to pick up another Aaron Jones. Imagine this offense if he goes down? Next year the rookie WRs will have some experience. I have great hope for MVS, EQ, and maybe even Kumerow. There still seems to be something missing though. I'm not entirely comfortable with that group (Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ). Activate and play Kumerow (IR Davis to make room). If Kumerow isn't that missing piece, then WR should be a prime target in FA. I don't think we need a superstar WR, just a good, competent possession WR. Like Allison, but with more speed. At TE, hopefully Tonyan develops, but since it takes so long for TEs to develop, another vet should be brought in to replace Lewis, Kendricks, or both. 

Once the offense starts clicking, the defense is going to look a lot better. An EDGE player with our #1 pick, a FA safety (they seem to be available and come reasonably priced), and someone to replace Wilkerson, if he can't come back, and I think we go into 2019 a pretty good defense. The offense just has to score more than 17 points to win in today's NFL.

We have a talent issue at guard.  I'd argue both, but if you upgrade right guard, you can get by pretty nicely with Taylor and Lindsley on the line.  But yes, we need a quality right guard.

Tight ends....take a while to develop in the NFL as a general rule.  I'm good with Graham and Tonyan.  Can move on from Lewis and Kendricks, but they should bring in a vet to round out that group.

WR....the only thing missing from the group is a pure slot kid and opportunity.  Given Moore's quickness, I'm not sure that he couldn't slide into the slot.  

Team needs two safeties.  One competent starter, hopefully via free agency and then Jones or a draft pick, preferably a draft pick....with instincts.

Team needs a pass rusher, be it inside as a DL or outside as an EDGE, or both.

Good thing is that GB will have money in free agency and 3 pretty nice picks.  Since the Saints are picking near the end, I can see trading out of their pick into the top of round 2 and acquiring even more draft capitol.  I just don't see GB as trading up with that second first as there are enough holes in that roster that need to be filled relatively early.

7 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The question I have in this draft is whether to draft the biggest need first..............or the best player.

Most fans will say best player (BPA is almost an NFL mantra)................but when it actually comes down to it, they have a shopping list of position groups most in need of upgrading, and they walk down that list when deciding who they want or when doing a mock draft. So do you go early for a 'biggest need', for example pass rusher, offensive tackle, safety, early ? Those three positions could  really do with a starter-quality addition. Some might want a TE in there, a few might feel the need for a quality OG early, but you get the picture.

Given this year is said to be a once in a generation one for DLs, it is very possible that the best value is DT/DE. So how are you feeling about DL as the first pick ?

There isn't an easy answer to this question. You have to decide how much better the best available D lineman is, than a pick elsewhere. On a sliding scale, if the difference is tiny you might go instead for a player at a position of most need and lose virtually nothing, but the bigger the talent gap, the more attractive the DL pick becomes. Early picks are also complicated further by starter-level guys at certain positions going off the board very fast - pass rushers and offensive tackles are arguably two of the Packers big needs that tend to go in the first two rounds.

To be more specific, are (for example) Mississippi State's DL Jeffery Simmons or Michigan's DL Rashan Gary, better than Alabama safety Deionte Thompson or Ole Miss's OT Greg Little. or Florida pass rusher Jachai Polite ? (I'm assuming DLs Quinnen Williams and Ed Oliver are gone). No-one knows exactly who will be available, or even where the Packers will pick, but you can game certain combinations and decide who you would take.

'Take the BPA' is an easy statement to make, but really it doesn't tell you anything. In the real world it is down to choosing a specific player over others, and which one is BPA is a hugely subjective subject.

Take the best player among your top 3 needs. IMO, those needs are EDGE, TE and OT. Not because out tackles are a problem, but because I don't count on Bulaga being able to stay healthy and we saw last night that Spriggs is not the answer. One could make the case for a guard in the top three as well, but IMO, you don't take a guard where we're going to be picking. You could make a case for a safety and inside linebacker as well. 

The good news is we have no shortage of needs. The bad news is we have a lot of needs. Some must be addressed in free agency prior to the draft so a lot of this is premature now that we have a GM willing to dance. 

18 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Take the best player among your top 3 needs. IMO, those needs are EDGE, TE and OT. Not because out tackles are a problem, but because I don't count on Bulaga being able to stay healthy and we saw last night that Spriggs is not the answer. One could make the case for a guard in the top three as well, but IMO, you don't take a guard where we're going to be picking. You could make a case for a safety and inside linebacker as well. 

The good news is we have no shortage of needs. The bad news is we have a lot of needs. Some must be addressed in free agency prior to the draft so a lot of this is premature now that we have a GM willing to dance. 

How you look at the safety position and not see that as a need is strange.

8 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

Leaning towards this being our best route plus I like the idea of building our defense even more.  

1a: Jachai Polite

1b: Jerry Tillery

2: Jaquan Johnson/Chauncey Gardner

4: WR and TE with our two picks. 

My only issue here is, I think we really need a playmaking wideout to replace Cobb and that could take a higher pick than round 4. A guy like Paris Campbell or Marquiese Brown. Not sure if there is a guy like that in free agency.  Tight End could also be a wildcard. 

Another option: we sign a free agent OLB.

1a: Deionte Thompson

1b: Brian Burns

2: Paris Campbell 

4: DL/TE/OL 

Don't want to get into names too much just yet, but I don't see Polite being a good fit for what Petine likes out of his OLBs.  Maybe @AlexGreen#20 would disagree, but I really don't think he's playing at 260.  Probably closer to 245, which means he's going to have his issues setting the edge.  As for Tillery, the fact that majority of his production has come in 2 games (Michigan and Stanford) scares me.

Feel like our first 3 picks should be some combination of EDGE, DL, and OT.  Probably better off going out and signing a veteran S and then grabbing one in the mid-rounds.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Don't want to get into names too much just yet, but I don't see Polite being a good fit for what Petine likes out of his OLBs.  Maybe @AlexGreen#20 would disagree, but I really don't think he's playing at 260.  Probably closer to 245, which means he's going to have his issues setting the edge.  As for Tillery, the fact that majority of his production has come in 2 games (Michigan and Stanford) scares me.

Feel like our first 3 picks should be some combination of EDGE, DL, and OT.  Probably better off going out and signing a veteran S and then grabbing one in the mid-rounds.

This! 

I don't think we're getting a shot at Bosa or Ferrell so I don't see the value at EDGE in round 1 at this point. None of the other ones seem to be a complete package. I think you can get a really good D-lineman where we are drafting or maybe Greg Little, OT. 

Who is the most polished WR coming out of the draft? Someone who gets the necessary depth and runs his routes with the QB in mind? We need an Aaron Rodgers perfectionist type at WR to compliment #12. He's so stubborn, but this is the horse we have to ride. 

Archived