2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think 12 and 44 are close to value of #3 on their own on new chart.

12+44=6

12 and 30 only gets you to 4.

EDIT: Didnt see you were offering more than just 12 and 44. Makes more sense now. 

11 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Irv Smith Jr not a bad reach at 30.

10 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I can probably come up with 50 guys I'd rather take at 30 than Irv.

Dosen't his RAS score almost take him off of GB's board based on past tendencies?  I thought I read that somewhere.

TDN MD

Selected the top rated prospect left on the board - regardless of position - so in essence, we got the left overs :)

12 - D.K. Metcalf, WR
30 - T.J. Hockenson, TE
44 - Erik McCoy, IOL
75 - Irv Smith Jr., TE
114 - Darrell Henderson, RB
118 - Justice Hill, RB

I'm surprised I haven't seen more talk about Maryland Safety Darnell Savage Jr around here. He tested damn well at the combine and was a play maker in college.

Speaking of safeties, i randomly came across this article on Ed Reed when he was drafted and it proves why beat writers can just be so clueless.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2002-04-21-0204210199-story.html

It is incredibly difficult (or just used to be) to get college tape with the camera angles necessary for evaluating safety play.  So I just have to realize that this is a position at which everybody in the media or in the draft community simply know less than the other positions.

^And that really bothers me.  I feel like safety is hands down the most underrated position in all of football.  You can't even be an average defense if your last line of defense is crap.  We've seen this for four years now.  

I mean back in the day Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays was a serious question debated by the draft media, with advocates on both sides.  Mays lasted one year with the team that drafted him (in the second round!) and only four years as a backup on an NFL roster before he started bouncing around offseason rosters and the CFL.

95% of people don't know a darn thing about safety play.

52 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen more talk about Maryland Safety Darnell Savage Jr around here. He tested damn well at the combine and was a play maker in college.

Speaking of safeties, i randomly came across this article on Ed Reed when he was drafted and it proves why beat writers can just be so clueless.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2002-04-21-0204210199-story.html

I've been touting Savage for a while, he's my no. 3 after Adderley and CGJ. Versatile player. I'd consider him at 44 if we don't go with one of those 2 at 30.

4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Dosen't his RAS score almost take him off of GB's board based on past tendencies?  I thought I read that somewhere.

2018 Avg. RAS = 8.895

2017 Avg. RAS = 8.414

2016 Avg RAS = 7.3571

The last two drafts the only people below 7.7 were Jamaal Williams (4.75) and Cole Madison (4.57). Irv Smith, Jr.'s RAS is 4.76; likely too low but we may take a chance if he's there in the 4th.

The "I'm sick and really bored" mock...

1.12 - TJ Hockenson | TE | Iowa - Board fell poorly so I pulled the trigger on the ideal fit for LaFleur's scheme. Tempted to take Andre Dillard but I'd rather wait on OT.
1.30 - Jeffery Simmons | IDL | Mississippi State - There's a legit chance he falls here due to the ACL. It's tremendous value as I think he's a top 10 talent. Run to the podium. 
2.44 - Darnell Savage | SAF | Maryland - Playmaker and tested really well. Think he's a great fit next to Amos.
3.75 - Mecole Hardman | WR | Georgia - Pure electricity and a component of our offense that we've been missing for far too long. We've got the tall deep threats, now get the guy that will straight KILL teams underneath.
4.114 - Joe Giles-Harris | LB | Duke - The Blake Martinez insurance. He's an every down MIKE linebacker and a really heady player. Lots to like with him and real chance he goes far earlier than this.
4.118 - Jalen Jelks | EDGE | Oregon - Toolsy, toolsy kid. Exactly the type of pick you make in the fourth. Yeah, I know we need OL but I can't pass on the upside here.
5.150 - Oli Udoh | OT | Elon - Believe we're connected to this kid and he seems really toolsy yet really raw. 
6.185 - Devine Ozigbo | RB | Nebraska - The thunder to Aaron Jones' lightning. 
6.194 - Cody Conway | OT | Syracuse - Really good pass blocker due to the system he played in. Run blocking could use work and he could be kicked inside, if not he's a hell of a RT. Udoh is the upside pick, Conway is the steady fill-in early type.
7.226 - Keelan Doss | WR | UC Davis - Practice squad WR with considerable upside. 

Archived