2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Speaking of CBs.....
TDN's breakdown - sorting by defensive scheme:

Zone Coverage - Cover 3:  Byron Murphy, Joejuan Williams, Saivion Smith, Lonnie Johnson, Isaiah Johnson, Sean Bunting

Zone Coverage - Cover 2: DeAndre Baker, David Long, Kris Boyd, Blace Brown, Derrick Baity, Donnie Lewis

Man Coverage - Press: Justin Layne, Trayvon Mullen, Rock Ya-Sin, Jamel Dean, Michael Jackson

Man Coverage - Off/Slot: David Long, Montre Hartage, Mark Fields, Blace Brown, Hamp Cheevers, Jimmy Moreland

Scheme Transcendent: These players have the physical traits and technique to fit almost any role -- or at least, they're equally good everywhere (looking at you, Julian Love). Accordingly, these will be some of my top-ranked corners, and have a high floor because they can withstand changes at defensive coordinators across their career   -   Greedy Williams, Amani Oruwariye, Julian Love

So, I've been watching some Ed Oliver stuff.  Originally I was put off by him.  But man, I got really warm on him really fast.

Here was the clincher for me.  10:56.  Dude lines up on the nose (which he did a lot), stands up, mirrors and leaps.  Oh my God.  That's a large man, mirroring, looking fluid and then....  That leap.  Amazing.

5:56 is darned impressive, too.  I think he flat out understands leverage.  To quote Voch Lombardi "This is visual personification of getting your lunch money taken!"

If you want a kid to penetrate, this is him.  Amazing quickness.  I thought he showed plenty of power.  He sheds.  My concern was/is effort, but we know that defensive linemen wear down.  I'd love him in a rotation on that line.  I think he could be a beast up front and used in just so many different ways.

Those that know me on here know that I've professed my love for Clellin Ferrel.  I also have grown to love Burns.  This kid is right up there now.  It was that mirror and leap that did it for me.

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

Speaking of CBs.....
TDN's breakdown - sorting by defensive scheme:

Zone Coverage - Cover 3:  Byron Murphy, Joejuan Williams, Saivion Smith, Lonnie Johnson, Isaiah Johnson, Sean Bunting

Zone Coverage - Cover 2: DeAndre Baker, David Long, Kris Boyd, Blace Brown, Derrick Baity, Donnie Lewis

Man Coverage - Press: Justin Layne, Trayvon Mullen, Rock Ya-Sin, Jamel Dean, Michael Jackson

Man Coverage - Off/Slot: David Long, Montre Hartage, Mark Fields, Blace Brown, Hamp Cheevers, Jimmy Moreland

Scheme Transcendent: These players have the physical traits and technique to fit almost any role -- or at least, they're equally good everywhere (looking at you, Julian Love). Accordingly, these will be some of my top-ranked corners, and have a high floor because they can withstand changes at defensive coordinators across their career   -   Greedy Williams, Amani Oruwariye, Julian Love

King, Alexander, and Jackson are all boundary corners. Perhaps we're going to look more at MC - Off/Slot in this draft, which would make tons of sense given that we've been tied to Blace Brown.

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

King, Alexander, and Jackson are all boundary corners. Perhaps we're going to look more at MC - Off/Slot in this draft, which would make tons of sense given that we've been tied to Blace Brown.

CB issues in general.....

KK hasnt been able to stay healthy.
JJ has yet to....perfect his boundary chops.
TW's getting up to be stepping in at the boundary.
All around depth.

17 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Man, that guy is a freak hey? My only issue with. It taking him at 12 would be his lack of pass rush. I’d be ok with him at 30 though and ecstatic to get him at 44. Although there are several others I’d love at 44 who could actually end up being there too. 

I'm starting to really like this DL class again.

I think the Pack will get two they really like and not just take the alternate option like they did with Worthy, Neal, and UCLA guy "I'm gonna be Reggie White".

Excited again anyways. Lawrence is a freak athlete. A lot of them in this DL class.

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

CB issues in general.....

KK hasnt been able to stay healthy.
JJ has yet to....perfect his boundary chops.
TW's getting up to be stepping in at the boundary.
All around depth.

If that's true, I'd have to steer clear of Blace Brown at least as a CB given his 7.33 3-cone at the combine and 4.54 40 on his pro day. Maybe a Safety convert? His pros suggest he has plus instincts and vision.

Personally, I really don't like this CB class all too much. Mullen and Layne are really the only 2nd/3rd tier guys I like.

On another note, I want Dexter Lawrence next to Clark. How strong would that duo be?

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

If that's true, I'd have to steer clear of Blace Brown at least as a CB given his 7.33 3-cone at the combine and 4.54 40 on his pro day. Maybe a Safety convert? His pros suggest he has plus instincts and vision.

Personally, I really don't like this CB class all too much. Mullen and Layne are really the only 2nd/3rd tier guys I like.

On another note, I want Dexter Lawrence next to Clark. How strong would that duo be?

You don't need 2 nose tackles. 

23 minutes ago, Joe said:

If that's true, I'd have to steer clear of Blace Brown at least as a CB given his 7.33 3-cone at the combine and 4.54 40 on his pro day. Maybe a Safety convert? His pros suggest he has plus instincts and vision. Personally, I really don't like this CB class all too much. Mullen and Layne are really the only 2nd/3rd tier guys I like. On another note, I want Dexter Lawrence next to Clark. How strong would that duo be?

In theory, we just need CB depth out of this draft - except - we've got KK's situation which means - there's a better than even chance the next man up rotation is gonna be happening sooner rather than later. Certainly hope thats not the case....but......

From what I'm reading, its not as strong a CB class as years past - which is kinda nice as it dovetails with our need.

I couldnt tell you about Lawrence....sorry.

I'm torn between EDGE or DL need - with a hankering to add that next great EDGE guy - who's name you've heard me type often enough to know :)
Z slides down inside and our #12 comes in to put the clamps on the pocket from the outside.

Do I think Oliver's gonna be a talent? Yup - but dont know why everybody's so eager to bury Daniels and at the risk of missing out on that talent - I think we're better set at DL than EDGE. 

My defense? An EDGE guy paired up with our FAs + one of the new & improved sideline/sideline IBL's paired up with Martinez - backed up by a centerfield Safety and Amos. Sideline to sideline at all three levels :)

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Make it 3.  Lancaster.

Even Adams has more anchor than wiggle.  I'd prefer a penetrating DL.  That being said, I'm not so sure that Lawrence can't do some of that.  And maybe Clark can penetrate more if he is asked to do that while someone else mans the nose and pushes the pocket.

I do like Lawrence.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

In theory, we just need CB depth out of this draft - except - we've got KK's situation which means - there's a better than even chance the next man up rotation is gonna be happening sooner rather than later. Certainly hope thats not the case....but......

From what I'm reading, its not as strong a CB class as years past - which is kinda nice as it dovetails with our need.

I couldnt tell you about Lawrence....sorry.

I'm torn between EDGE or DL need - with a hankering to add that next great EDGE guy - who's name you've heard me type often enough to know :)
Z slides down inside and our #12 comes in to put the clamps on the pocket from the outside.

Do I think Oliver's gonna be a talent? Yup - but dont know why everybody's so eager to bury Daniels and at the risk of missing out on that talent - I think we're better set at DL than EDGE. 

My defense? An EDGE guy paired up with our FAs + one of the new & improved sideline/sideline IBL's paired up with Martinez - backed up by a centerfield Safety and Amos. Sideline to sideline at all three levels :)

I dig it.  

But, after watching enough film on Oliver, he isn't Daniels.  He's Prime Daniels Plus.  He would be amazing on that DL.  He can do everything that Z. Smith can do.  Yes.  I think he has the athletic ability to even play edge every now and then.  Quickness, strength, decent hands, great leverage.  That guy is a very good football player.  So good that I'd probably buy his jersey right away.

While I do like Burns, I would put Oliver ahead of him on my draft wish list.  

13 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Wren at 44 or even 30 for me. This is a kid who has untapped potential that was stuck at NT. 

Give me offense round one or a couple move downs. So much talent in this draft class imo.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I dig it.  

But, after watching enough film on Oliver, he isn't Daniels.  He's Prime Daniels Plus.  He would be amazing on that DL.  He can do everything that Z. Smith can do.  Yes.  I think he has the athletic ability to even play edge every now and then.  Quickness, strength, decent hands, great leverage.  That guy is a very good football player.  So good that I'd probably buy his jersey right away.

Understand and you wont get an argument from me if thats how they go. Burns and Oliver both have the goods IMO. Depends on how Pettine wants to put it all together. Positionally I want that DL package (and there's more DL bodies to mix and match than just at EDGE IMO) + FS + ILB taken care of.

ILB's gonna be the loser cause the top talent's gonna be gone by time we get to drafting it.

Fackrell had double digit sacks last year. How he did it - I cant say - but I'm not trusting the talent enough to think it'll happen again.

And......while Z and Smith had good numbers getting pressure and TFLs - sacks weren't their strong suit. A good speed rusher would round out that package nicely and make them all better.

28 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I dig it.  

For me Ed Oliver > Clelin Ferrell (who is) > Brian Burns (who is) = Josh Sweat. Christian Wilkins is in there somewhere as well (not quite sure where to put him).

Given that I really like Ferrell, that tells you how much I like Oliver.

Hearing Daniel Jones had a really nice pro day. Could be a possible 4th QB option in the top 11 or give us a reason to trade back at 12 if Murray, Haskins and Lock are gone in the first 10 and someone wants Jones before Miami at 13. 

A couple of the latest mocks on here have Jawaan Taylor falling to us at 12 and being the pick. Honestly, I'd be okay with this. While nabbing an edge rusher or Oliver would be ideal, he can probably start at LG right away over Lane Taylor and be our future starting RT when Bulaga's deal expires, not to mention turning us into one of the better OLs seemingly overnight which is crucial for Rodgers at his age. Just ask Dallas how having an all-Pro OL worked out for them.

Archived