2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

I'm really shocked everyone is so dead set against Metcalf. He's the probably the best combination of size and speed to come into the league since Megatron. I mean I get the agility drill were straight garbage but then you just don't line him up in the slot and ask him to do things he's not good at. I feel like he's going to be able to physically dominate #2 corners. He can't but doesn't need to run the complete tree to be extremely  successful IMO.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Some Draft Network chatter.....

-Are you ready for a little game I like to call the “annual fall of Alabama draft prospects”? Based on everything I’m hearing, Mack Wilson and Deionte Thompson are going to be available later in the draft than many think they are, perhaps even into the late stages of round 3. Thompson’s inability to run so far has kept his stock down. Teams just aren’t going to risk a high pick on a 1-year starter with speed concerns, especially when they are already worried about his playing weight. As for Wilson, he didn’t test well at his pro day and his tape got worse as his junior year went on. He also has not killed interviews with teams and may not have the work ethic or alpha male demeanor that some GMs want in their linebackers.

-I like Miles Boykin, but there isn’t enough upside there for me to think about him before the middle of the draft. His Combine was great, but he doesn’t always play to that potential.

-In the WVU wide receiver battle, Gary Jennings > David Sills for me, easily. Both are day 3 guys, but Jennings is much more likely to see the field in certain packages as a vertical threat or special teams guy, and he has more upside as a developmental player if it comes down to a practice squad spot.

-Clemson cornerback Mark Fields is my sleeper in an abysmal corner class. I can only speak to what he does on the field, but he was very good in 2018 despite not playing much. Traits are there for him to be a top three corner for a team in the NFL, at the likely cost of a day three pick.

-Don’t get it with Michigan CB David Long. He also doesn’t play to his testing, looking like an ideal no. 4 cornerback with inside/outside versatility for a press man team.

- I have zero Round 1 grades on this cornerback class and just eight in the top three rounds, with Julian Love and Sean Bunting still to watch. Brutal year to need a difference-making corner, gang. Worst class I can recall in my years of doing this.

-I think the edge defenders that are a lock to go Round 1 are Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, Brian Burns, Rashan Gary and Montez Sweat. Clelin Ferrell has a good shot, and Chase Winovich could sneak in, although it would still surprise me a bit. Jachai Polite is in free fall, and teams aren’t going to take Christian Miller high even though they like him a good bit, simply because of the injury history and lack of usage at Alabama. 

-Anyone still mocking Jaylon Ferguson in Round 1 has no idea what they’re doing. Period.

Why don’t you provide the links to the things you quote?????

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont post links. Why does it trouble you?

It used to be a huge no-no to quote content and not source it. It makes sense from a legal perspective for the site host.

Can't just post non-original content without crediting and sourcing.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

It used to be a huge no-no to quote content and not source it. It makes sense from a legal perspective for the site host.

Can't just post non-original content without crediting and sourcing.

I do credit the source and I'm not quoting complete/entire content.

2 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I'm really shocked everyone is so dead set against Metcalf. He's the probably the best combination of size and speed to come into the league since Megatron. I mean I get the agility drill were straight garbage but then you just don't line him up in the slot and ask him to do things he's not good at. I feel like he's going to be able to physically dominate #2 corners. He can't but doesn't need to run the complete tree to be extremely  successful IMO.

I see him as the same as people wanting us to draft Hock, It would  be a fun pick, but theres too many front 7 guys there that I don't think they'll pass on for Metcalf. Its kind of like when the packers had Crabtree as their highest grade but they picked Raji instead. I also have a gut feeling Gute will be more inclined to keep the WRs we have to the dismay of the fandom.

28 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I just don't like taking WRs in the first round no matter how good they are.  I mean, if Metcalf really is a generational prospect, he won't be there at 12.  If 11 teams pass on him, it's safe to say he's not Calvin or Julio or A.J.

Or Randy Moss,   Oh snap

even if he’s a 4.3 version of Dez, I’ll take that at 12

Course Aaron would have to throw into coverage more and give him some opportunities to win 50/50 balls to take advantage of his strengths , he only does that on Hail Marys and when Janis is our best healthy WR., hates those picks that trash his QB rating, even on 3rd and 20 and it’s basically a punt.

31 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I just don't like taking WRs in the first round no matter how good they are.  I mean, if Metcalf really is a generational prospect, he won't be there at 12.  If 11 teams pass on him, it's safe to say he's not Calvin or Julio or A.J.

Yeah I kind of see that as well, I think that will happen this year too tbh. There's always one team that will risk it for a WR.

4 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

DL - Daniels in his last year - leaves us with Clark and depth guys

S - One could argue we only have 1 - Pettine likes 3

OT - Bulaga and Spriggs in the last year of their deals

ER - Fackrell is the backup - in his last year

TE - Graham in his last year - Tonyan is your backup

WR - Adams, Allison, St. Brown, Valdes-Scantling, Moore, Kumerow

Still shocked ? No need to even discuss Metcalf himself - who has multiple red flags by the way

4 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I can get over the lack of agility. It's the lack of hands and the fact he wasn't even the go to WR on his college team that scare me.

So the thing I feel about WRs is while the argument "you don't need to take an RB high, you can get guys late" is overstated (a better one is that RBs just don't matter much outside the elite guys) for WRs not only can you get guys late but a bunch of the best WRs in the game are invariably not high picks: Michael Thomas, Antonio Brown, Adam Thielen, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Stefon Diggs, TY Hilton, Kenny Golladay, Tyler Lockett, etc.

So those guys who are available later who will probably be better than DK Metcalf are out there.  Since Green Bay has a history of finding these guys, why not just pick the right one at 44 and skip the first round WR?  I mean, for my money, with a similar style of game, the Iowa State kid is a better WR than Metcalf.  In terms of WRs who I would be excited to see in this offense, Hollywood Brown ranks higher (he's DeSean without the baggage).  In terms of "WRs from Ole Miss" I like the other Brown better too.

I just don't see any reason to take Metcalf at the price we'd have to pay for him besides "he is large and runs fast."

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Still shocked ? No need to even discuss Metcalf himself - who has multiple red flags by the way

DL - Lowery on last year of contract

TE - Lewis one year deal

LB - Martinez on last year of contract

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

This!  No more has to be said does it?  We have holes to fill this year AND looking down the road next year.  I'm not against a WR lower down the draft chain but our other needs now and in the future far outweigh taking a WR at #12 or even #30 that has some warts. 

Archived