2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not concerned about the author getting credit really. I just don't see why you wouldn't put a link in there so someone can click on it and visit the article/website without having to google and search it. Leader posts potions of articles/tweets with something like " from the draft network"... what does that mean? Context is useful. Which writer there wrote it? When? etc.I just don't understand why it's hard to provide a link to the source? It's so much more useful and easy to do.

This is easy and shouldnt be subject of such ongoing "angst" 

1. I dont post links anymore.

2. The comment, tweet or article excerpt is meant to contribute, provide information or insight to some ongoing discussion or topic. Thats all. I'm bringing information to the board. Period. It's no different - in any way - from comments from other posters on the same topic - other than it originates from someone other than myself - which is why......

3. The source of the info is provided - for attribution purposes (and to acknowledge the words are not mine) - and so an interested person could find and read it in it's entirety should they chose - which in no way is a difficult chore.

17 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If Ed Oliver was not taken at #12 (and if the Packers did take him Simmons is not a target at #'30), then Ferrell is my next favourite guy........at #12, not #30. I know some other posters think he will last way past pick #12. I disagree and think he is very good value there.

I know. I was just joking around by dissing on your guy :)

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Randy Moss and Jerry Rice...

So we know why those guys fell (character/drug concerns and "Mississippi Valley State" is a lower-level program respectively).  Neither of these things really apply to Metcalf, so what set of justifiable concerns unrelated to "how good is he" would explain his fall?

45 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If Ed Oliver was not taken at #12 (and if the Packers did take him Simmons is not a target at #'30), then Ferrell is my next favourite guy........at #12, not #30. I know some other posters think he will last way past pick #12. I disagree and think he is very good value there.

Ferrell has "untested" himself out of the top 15.  Still don't know how he gets past Carolina.  

If he is there past pick #22, I'm trading up from #30 for him.

Assuming we do not go EDGE at #12.

As far as Simmons goes?  I sit the fence.  #44 is where I'm comfortable taking him.  And even then I'd hesitate.

It is a good draft for bigs/DL.  I can't help but really like Renell Wren from Arizona State.  I also like Khalen Saunders.  I think both of those guys can be a penetrating DL.  So, you have to do your medical evaluation on Simmons.  He's a big man, quickness is part of his game.  See how sound the knee is and see if he is projected to have a full recovery.  Weigh that against those other DL that you can take a little later who also have power and quickness in their game.

I'd hate to miss on a safety, or (insert other position) because we took a DL in what will become a redshirt year.  Remember, when they return it takes a while to get them up to speed.  Rookies who lose their rookie season are way behind the curve.

And...I replied to OneTwoSixFive, but this was more in regards to Simmons in general.

SI - Mock Draft - 3/27

1. Arizona: Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
2. San Francisco: Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
3. *PROJECTED TRADE* N.Y. Giants (from N.Y. Jets): Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
4. Oakland: Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
5. Tampa Bay: Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama
6. *PROJECTED TRADE* N.Y. Jets (from N.Y. Giants): Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky
7. Jacksonville: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
8. Detroit: Montez Sweat, EDGE, Mississippi State
9. Buffalo: Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan
10. Denver: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
11. Cincinnati: Devin White, LB, LSU
12. Green Bay: T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
Green Bay took care of some major pass-rushing needs in free agency with Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith, so their attention turns to helping out Aaron Rodgers. Hockenson is an athletic receiving threat as well as a very good blocker.

13. Miami: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
14. Atlanta: Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
15. Washington: Brian Burns, EDGE, Florida State
16. Carolina: Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, Clemson
17. N.Y. Giants (from Cleveland): DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
18. Minnesota: Jonah Williams, OT/G, Alabama
19. Tennessee: Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
20. Pittsburgh: Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
21. Seattle: Taylor Rapp, S, Washington
22. Baltimore: Garrett Bradbury, C, N.C. State
23. Houston: Cody Ford, OT/G, Oklahoma
24. Oakland (from Chicago): Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
25. Philadelphia: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
26. Indianapolis: Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma
27. Oakland (from Dallas): Jaylon Ferguson, EDGE, Louisiana Tech
28. L.A. Chargers: Will Grier, QB, West Virginia
29. Kansas City: Lonnie Johnson, CB, Kentucky
30. Green Bay (from New Orleans): Jeffrey Simmons, DT, Mississippi State
Simmons is a bit of a wild card because of his recent ACL tear, and his background will be examined closely—as a high schooler he pleaded no contest to simple assault after striking a woman who was fighting with a family member. But a healthy Simmons could be a star in 2020, and with pass-rush talent already added to the roster, Green Bay can now afford to wait.

31. L.A. Rams: Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
32. New England: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

Folks really want us to draft Hockenson......
Passed on both Burns and Oliver to do so. Hmmmmmm.
And there at 30? Our previously discussed Mr. Simmons.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd be pretty upset if we bypassed both Oliver and Burns for Hoch.  

4 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I would toss a chair out my window.

LOL Well at least the dog wont get kicked and the people you're with are probably safe....unless they're offered a chair in an unconventional way :) 

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Folks really want us to draft Hockenson......

Fantasy football is big business and drives clicks.  People are always mocking "but what if the Packers draft this interesting offensive player to play with Aaron Rodgers".  Plus "smaller market franchises" are "free spaces" to put any player you think will be gone by this point.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Fantasy football is big business and drives clicks.  People are always mocking "but what if the Packers draft this interesting offensive player to play with Aaron Rodgers".  Plus "smaller market franchises" are "free spaces" to put any player you think will be gone by this point.

Agreed. It's just interesting. I only read a few of the player bio's and supposed reasoning this player works for that particular team.
I thought more QBs were drafted than I thought (or had read.....) the talent level warranted....and poor Mr. Flacco. He cant get away from the latest #1 rookie QB.

46 minutes ago, rcon14 said:
54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd be pretty upset if we bypassed both Oliver and Burns for Hoch.  

I would toss a chair out my window.

Tbh Hock and Oliver will probably end up in the same tier for me with Burns behind them. I would still take Oliver over both

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Polite is crashing hard. Basically ran a 5-second 40 and hurt his other hammy this time. 

Meanwhile, CGJ is killing it. If we want him, it would have to be at 30 (if he's still there). He won't be there at 44. 

No "if" in my mind. I'd take CGJ over Simmons. I'd move up to snag CGJ.

53 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Polite is crashing hard. Basically ran a 5-second 40 and hurt his other hammy this time. 

Meanwhile, CGJ is killing it. If we want him, it would have to be at 30 (if he's still there). He won't be there at 44. 

I mean, i am under the impression he is too. But if you read Pauline's article it dosen't send the message he's falling as badly as some think.

Archived