2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

Say......

1. We dont get Oliver (or IDL) at 12 (or with our first pick).
2. Jeffrey Simmons hangs around till 30 (or our second pick).

Do we draft him?

I think he makes more sense going in the second round to a team clearly in rebuilding mode. The Packers probably don’t want to tie up early draft capital with a guy that won’t contribute much this year. 

I know we are rebuilding also, but we are on a shorter timeframe than most sub .500 teams given the fact that our QB window is closing. 

JMO

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

Say......

Do we draft him?

Hard choice. I don't know if this team has that luxury. On one hand, he will replace Mike Daniels next year. On the other hand, not getting any production out of a 1st round pick when they are cost controlled is a decision I feel like our current team may not be able to make. Someone like the Pats, Rams, Eagles would make a lot of sense. Same with teams on the other end of the spectrum, like the Bucs, Giants, Dolphins who maybe don't have their QB yet but should within a year

I'd be more comfortable with it at 44

If I had to guess today, the Browns end up with him. They probably have to trade up in the 2nd to get him

5 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I think he makes more sense going in the second round to a team clearly in rebuilding mode. The Packers probably don’t want to tie up early draft capital with a guy that won’t contribute much this year. 

I know we are rebuilding also, but we are on a shorter timeframe than most sub .500 teams given the fact that our QB window is closing. 

JMO

I think Simmons would be a great snag at #44 .. we have two picks ahead of that to maybe get some more immediate impact.  The addition of Simmons gives the Packers some serious flexibility when it comes to maybe having to replace Daniels and/or Lowry after this season.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Simmons would be a great snag at #44 .. we have two picks ahead of that to maybe get some more immediate impact.  The addition of Simmons gives the Packers some serious flexibility when it comes to maybe having to replace Daniels and/or Lowry after this season.

Agreed. Getting him to last until 44 is a trick, though. Myles Jack was gone pretty quickly once the 2nd round began. 

24 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Hard choice. I don't know if this team has that luxury. On one hand, he will replace Mike Daniels next year. On the other hand, not getting any production out of a 1st round pick when they are cost controlled is a decision I feel like our current team may not be able to make. Someone like the Pats, Rams, Eagles would make a lot of sense. Same with teams on the other end of the spectrum, like the Bucs, Giants, Dolphins who maybe don't have their QB yet but should within a year. I'd be more comfortable with it at 44. If I had to guess today, the Browns end up with him. They probably have to trade up in the 2nd to get him

I tend to agree. We've got some holes to plug and I dont want to pass on talent for next years roster rotations/moves. Kinda like the "grab plug and play guys now" game plan. I also question how long he'd be available. Dont know. Was just wondering.

13 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Agreed. Getting him to last until 44 is a trick, though. Myles Jack was gone pretty quickly once the 2nd round began. 

Jaylon Smith didnt hang around for long either. He went with pick #34 in 2016 to Dallas and didnt play till 2017.

2017 - 81 tackles
2018 - 121 tackles

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is Polite the second coming of Adrian Hubbard? Also, why are we dogging Polite, but giving Adderley a pass for virtually the same thing?

Dont you be dissing on my Nasir dreams now! :)

33 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is Polite the second coming of Adrian Hubbard?

Also, why are we dogging Polite, but giving Adderley a pass for virtually the same thing?

large.jpg

Because Adderley didn't come in severely overweight.

44 minutes ago, Leader said:

Say......

Do we draft him?

I'd take him in a heartbeat. While it is disappointing that he wouldn't be available until at least late 2019 (and maybe not until 2020), you don't draft a guy for his contribution in his rookie year, but instead for his entire career with the team.

Simmons has generally been seen as one of the highest rated players available, and would, in all probability, be the most talented player left at #30.

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'd take him in a heartbeat. While it is disappointing that he wouldn't be available until at least late 2019 (and maybe not until 2020), you don't draft a guy for his contribution in his rookie year, but instead for his entire career with the team.

Simmons has generally been seen as one of the highest rated players available, and would, in all probability, be the most talented player left at #30.

I dont know......
I think your guy Ferrell might still be hanging around....then what would you do? :)

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I dont know......
I think your guy Ferrell might still be hanging around....then what would you do? :)

If Ed Oliver was not taken at #12 (and if the Packers did take him Simmons is not a target at #'30), then Ferrell is my next favourite guy........at #12, not #30. I know some other posters think he will last way past pick #12. I disagree and think he is very good value there.

Archived