2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

My only Jamaal Reynolds story involves a beat writer who I can't recall the name of. He goes out for the first day of camp to get his eyes on the Packers new stud draft pick. He can't find him on the field. He can't see him. Maybe he is injured. Whats the deal. After a while a collegue points him out. The beat writer laughed the rest of the day in disbelief.

3 hours ago, Isherwood said:

image.png

I didn't want to steal incog's thread:

Here's my silly board, that I'll be using to check names off and yell at the screen for 3 days 

Dark green: hit thresholds

light green: just missed, barely

yellow: incomplete info

red: missed thresholds significantly, but I still would draft them anyways

white: the QBs. I don't care about the QBs. Except Brett Rypien. He's my late round guy. 

Always appreciate seeing new opinions, however this one looks too safe, IMO.  Literally no surprises in Tiers 1 or 2, Metcalf seems like maybe the only guy I noticed that was significantly different than mainstream, although I know a lot of people are very down on him too.

Still appreciate the effort, but take some gambles, prop up some random guys to tier 1, who are you stamping your name on and pounding the table for that others arent?  :P

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

My only Jamaal Reynolds story involves a beat writer who I can't recall the name of. He goes out for the first day of camp to get his eyes on the Packers new stud draft pick. He can't find him on the field. He can't see him. Maybe he is injured. Whats the deal. After a while a collegue points him out. The beat writer laughed the rest of the day in disbelief.

Your story doesn’t surprise me. Three guys stand out to me from all the others, physically, after getting my peeps on players at training camps.

Mike Neal, before becoming an OLB, looked like he had tree trunks for legs. Very tight and muscular. Sitton was messing around doing pull-ups on some practice apparatus and he looked like Hagrid, a certifiable giant. But Reynolds looked like a high school senior with a shot at playing for UW-Stevens Point. I have confidence that Burns will  be good if we pick him first (but hopefully not with 12). We’ve had one player break the mold for Tedford quarterbacks. Maybe Burns can do the same for slender edge defenders from Florida.

11 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Maybe Burns can do the same for slender edge defenders from Florida.

My hate just grows for Burns if that were possible.

I doubt he is on their board at all. I sure hope not.

We can put this team in contention for the Superbowl and take some awesome solid prospects at edge in rounds 2-4 by avoiding Supermen in underwear. I don't want one of these top fifteen edge dudes. Q Williams / Simmons / Lawrence >>>>> Bosa. I want bigs and I want to send Olinemen to the hospital, not dance around them and get steamrolled on the ground.

7 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

My hate just grows for Burns if that were possible.

I doubt he is on their board at all. I sure hope not.

We can put this team in contention for the Superbowl and take some awesome solid prospects at edge in rounds 2-4 by avoiding Supermen in underwear. I don't want one of these top fifteen edge dudes. Q Williams / Simmons / Lawrence >>>>> Bosa. I want bigs and I want to send Olinemen to the hospital, not dance around them and get steamrolled on the ground.

Other than your obvious personal biases, absolutely no reason for Burns not to be on the Packers board.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Other than your obvious personal biases, absolutely no reason for Burns not to be on the Packers board.

His slender play weight is a reason to have him off day 1-2. Exactly why most intelligent boards had him below 20 and, before the combine, day two.

He's not a Pettine guy let alone GB. Pettine already said guys that can stop the run are underrated. Pretty clear that Pettine prefers collapsing the pocket and stuffing the run, shooting the gaps, inside rush. Martinez, Jones, Z Smith can do that.

No one has presented evidence that Pettine wants some light speed dude on the edge at 12. He has actually said the opposite. Why would Gute spend a 12 on a type Pettine doesn't like. I'm sure working with Mingo did not help to change Pettine 's mind there.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Don’t think there is a prospect everyone would be happy with.  Not even Bosa.  I like Quinnen, but I don’t think he is pushing the envelope as best prospect in this class, one year wonder with motivation issues.

Maybe Josh Allen?

13 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

His slender play weight is a reason to have him off day 1-2. Exactly why most intelligent boards had him below 20 and, before the combine, day two.

He's not a Pettine guy let alone GB. Pettine already said guys that can stop the run are underrated. Pretty clear that Pettine prefers collapsing the pocket and stuffing the run, shooting the gaps, inside rush. Martinez, Jones, Z Smith can do that.

No one has presented evidence that Pettine wants some light speed dude on the edge at 12. He has actually said the opposite. Why would Gute spend a 12 on a type Pettine doesn't like. I'm sure working with Mingo did not help to change Pettine 's mind there.

Pettine's initial press conference he said he prefers a rusher and a dropper at OLB. We saw how often he shows jailbreak blitzes and it's anyone's guess who's coming or dropping. Having an EDGE who can drop only creates more possibilities there. 

Sounds like you're more or less convincing yourself an alternate reality. Burns is on our board. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Pettine's initial press conference he said he prefers a rusher and a dropper at OLB. We saw how often he shows jailbreak blitzes and it's anyone's guess who's coming or dropping. Having an EDGE who can drop only creates more possibilities there. 

Sounds like you're more or less convincing yourself an alternate reality. Burns is on our board. 

Guess you're right. Burns is top twelve at run and dropping in coverage like everyone says. Didn't think of that.

15 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Don’t think there is a prospect everyone would be happy with.  Not even Bosa.  I like Quinnen, but I don’t think he is pushing the envelope as best prospect in this class, one year wonder with motivation issues.

Maybe Josh Allen?

Quinnen put on a fair amount of weight for last season to move inside to DT so he could get playing time, and dominated. What motivation concerns are you referencing, I haven't seen them honestly

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Look at the tackle class. It's not great. And it certainly seems like the talent is drying up to some extent as guys are coming out less and less polished compared to their defensive peers.

It's not bad.  There's no real true stud in this class, but it's a solid overall class.

12 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I still think Rapp can play single high safety. Instincts and an explosive burst. Ball skills. Best tackling S in the draft.

I like him a LOT, but he's in the same mold as Josh Jones.  You want him around the LOS.  Playing him single high probably isn't going to be the best use of his skillset.

9 hours ago, Down to Earth said:

For those old enough to remember like me, but are way better football evaluators than me explain to me why Brian Burns isn't Jamal Reynolds 2.0. I know one shouldn't compare simply on the basis of going to the same college program, but as much as I would love to have Burns at 1.12, the whole Reynolds experience worries me a bit.

Aside from the fact that they're both Seminoles pass rushers, what about him reminds me of you Reynolds?  Not saying you're right or wrong, but on the surface it looks like a lazy comparison.

Archived