2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Why isn't Tampa discussed as more of a possibility for a QB at 5?

I mean, when has a borderline bust QB for 4 years all of a sudden turned it around?   Plus he is not signed in 2020, he is on his 5th year option.  27 million estimated franchise tag value next year, would go to >32 in 2021.

Tampa has had very little cap room as of late.  Philly and St.L have shown you can compete in years 2 and 3 with rookie QBs, there is a new head coach.

Not sure if Tampa is fully committed to not taking a QB, or if they are just doing a good job keeping it to vest, but they should be looking hard at all these QB's and frankly wouldn't surprise me at all if they take Haskins or Lock at 5

Because part of their HC search required their new HC to take Jameis Winston as their QB, for better or worse.  IF they take a QB, it'll be next year.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, Leader said:

MMQB:

The spending on offensive linemen in free agency the last two off seasons is Exhibit A on how scarcity can drive the market in the NFL—and that will spill over to the draft in a few weeks. There just aren’t enough properly developed big men out there coming into the league.

After calling around, my sense is that three tackles have established themselves as the best in the class: Florida’s Jawaan Taylor, Alabama’s Jonah Williams and Washington State’s Andre Dillard. Those three should come off the board one after another somewhere in the top half of the first round, maybe starting with Jacksonville at No. 7.

Is there a Jonathan Ogden in there? Nope. Taylor played right tackle in college, and some have projected him to left tackle in the NFL. But that is, as spelled out, a projection. Some line coaches think Williams isn’t long enough to play tackle in the pros, and will land at guard. And Dillard, a gifted athlete, has good, but not great tape. And yet, there’s a belief out there they’ll all be gone by the No. 15 or 16 pick, simply because it’s really, really hard to find good ones. This dynamic could, too, push some of the (very solid) guards and centers that many assumed would Friday picks into the bottom of the first round.

Vic and Pauline are suggesting it could be Williams at 12.

Interesting. He's gonna have a solid career. Off in the thresholds for GB but a day one starter anywhere on the line.

We're bringing in Little to kick those tires too. Madison Cole back.

Priority one, I can almost guarantee, is getting this line back to top five again. Hardestvandost important thing this off-season and to get us back in contention. 

I'd be down with OT at 12. BVA on my board for GB.

On 4/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Abbrederis made the catch though.

He had the ability to make the clean catch with the hands when called for.  I just never really saw that with Janis.

The point was though, Moore is not the first player we drafted with drop issues.

Janis was a 7th round flier. He was real raw and was good special teamed that never picked it up. I looked again at Moore. His hands aren't bad. Just needed work. They don't take anyone who fights the ball. I see that in DK.

And they try to get very good hands in early rounds. They said as much before and Gute did say they won't change the draft for LaFleur, just tweak things a bit. Adams' were second best in his class as I remember. The rest were good too. And they have stated hands are a big consideration when picking. That was during the draft for Davante. 

Isabella has some real issues with hands (and I already am Leary of small guys in early rounds). I'm also not seeing us take Harry. He's too similar to Moore and we've hardly seen Moore. They thought well of him last year. I'm beginning to think Parris Campbell may be highest on their list for what they need this year. His speed does show -- I was wrong on my first look. Anyways, he may be too rich and we'll take a slot later, deepest class ever 

7 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Vic and Pauline are suggesting it could be Williams at 12.

Interesting. He's gonna have a solid career. Off in the thresholds for GB but a day one starter anywhere on the line.

We're bringing in Little to kick those tires too. Madison Cole back.

Priority one, I can almost guarantee, is getting this line back to top five again. Hardestvandost important thing this off-season and to get us back in contention. 

I'd be down with OT at 12. BVA on my board for GB.

My perception over the last decade of GB drafting is many times some of the good writers are clued in on guys...at the same position that GB is targeting. But not the actual guy.

Therefore Dillard or Taylor wouldn't surprise me at 12. 

Though I'd rather have Risner later in Rd 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

My perception over the last decade of GB drafting is many times some of the good writers are clued in on guys...at the same position that GB is targeting. But not the actual guy.

Therefore Dillard or Taylor wouldn't surprise me at 12. 

Though I'd rather have Risner later in Rd 1

they are saying Dillard and Taylor are going to be gone already (and I don't think Taylor fits). Pauline has a pretty good bead on things and actually is  good at projecting GB over the years.

Williams is interesting. Player wise he fits. Thresholds he is short. He's nice because they can slot him at RT-- he can also sub across the line. Don't think they draft him solely for guard and a backup. Anyways, will be interesting to see what goes down.  OL are getting very prized and few these days.

I've said since our pick was established I'd be more than okay with Jonah Williams at 12.  Having a good or even okay right tackle who would be a great or good guard for ten years is well worth 12th overall. 

Ed Oliver and Jonah Williams for a while now have been my 1 and 2 for players I can realistically hope for. 

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I've said since our pick was established I'd be more than okay with Jonah Williams at 12.  Having a good or even okay right tackle who would be a great or good guard for ten years is well worth 12th overall. 

Ed Oliver and Jonah Williams for a while now have been my 1 and 2 for players I can realistically hope for. 

Jonah Williams? I thought you were vehemently opposed to interior Olineman in the first much less top 15? ;)

26 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Jonah Williams? I thought you were vehemently opposed to interior Olineman in the first much less top 15? ;)

He's not an IOL.  He played tackle.  If he plays guard in his first year I'm fine with that as long as the plan is for him to be a long term RT.  I've said this 10,000 times.

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He's not an IOL.  He played tackle.  If he plays guard in his first year I'm fine with that as long as the plan is for him to be a long term RT.  I've said this 10,000 times.

There are a good deal of people who don't think he can play tackle in the NFL. I'm surprised you're on board with someone that early if they aren't a pure tackle is all.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think #12 seems a bit early for Jonah Williams ... I'd be disappointed.  I would think there would be better talent on the board that warrant a top 12 selection.

Look at the tackle class. It's not great. And it certainly seems like the talent is drying up to some extent as guys are coming out less and less polished compared to their defensive peers.

13 hours ago, deathstar said:

I’m working on profiling this guy right now: Travis Homer, RB, Miami. He’s a slight miss on those thresholds. I think we might be interested in him in round 5-6 this year.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/travis-homer?id=3219484f-4d65-5558-456b-7b9fa9f97090

Oh nice. Yes, my list definitely isn’t comprehensive and only features guys I know. I’ll have to look at Homer.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Spending 12 on an OL seems odd since we don't really need a starter immediately.   I'm not even sure Jonah hits the benchmarks for a GB OL (though Dillard and Jawaan do.)

This is my feeling as well. On the one hand, I certainly understand the value long term if you get a top tackle prospect given the fact that Bulaga might be gone next year. On the other hand, when I think of drafting a player at 12, especially on a team with a lot of needs, I think of an instant impact player. I'd understand OL at 12 but would be pretty meh about the pick overall. I'd much rather use 30 or 44 on the OL even if it's for one of the top OG prospects versus OT.  

Archived