2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

I haven't seen a Charley Casserly mock I've liked yet.......

12 - Cody Ford - OT
The Packers need an upgrade at right tackle.
(Previous OTs drafted: Jawaan Taylor @ 7 to JAX / Andre Dillard @ 9 to BUF)

30 - Taylor Rapp - S
Safety was a major problem for the Packers last year, but Rapp and free-agent pickup Adrian Amos are the solution.
(First Safety drafted....)

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

12 - Cody Ford - OT

30 - Taylor Rapp - S
Safety was a major problem for the Packers last year, but Rapp and free-agent pickup Adrian Amos are the solution.

YUCK! Does Casserly even know about analytics? 

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

12 - Cody Ford - OT

30 - Taylor Rapp - S

I love Rapp but the 4.74 Forty dropped him from 30 for me. He’s still top SS. But who wants to burn a 1 in a SS running a 4.7? But I think you could also argue he brings value in sub packages a lot of SS don’t.

Just now, ChaRisMa said:

I love Rapp but the 4.74 Forty dropped him from 30 for me. He’s still top SS. But who wants to burn a 1 in a SS running a 4.7? But I think you could also argue he brings value in sub packages a lot of SS don’t.

Thanks for the insights. Personally I'm looking more for a FS type.

From what I'd read, Rapp wasnt one of the top tier Safeties and his latest times put a damper on that - so - taking him first (?) at 30? I dont see it.
As mentioned, I havent liked a Casserly mock yet. Cody Ford @ 12? I dont see that one either.

image.png

I didn't want to steal incog's thread:

Here's my silly board, that I'll be using to check names off and yell at the screen for 3 days 

Dark green: hit thresholds

light green: just missed, barely

yellow: incomplete info

red: missed thresholds significantly, but I still would draft them anyways

white: the QBs. I don't care about the QBs. Except Brett Rypien. He's my late round guy. 

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thanks for the insights. Personally I'm looking more for a FS type.

From what I'd read, Rapp wasnt one of the top tier Safeties and his latest times put a damper on that - so - taking him first (?) at 30? I dont see it.
As mentioned, I havent liked a Casserly mock yet. Cody Ford @ 12? I dont see that one either.

I still think Rapp can play single high safety. Instincts and an explosive burst. Ball skills. Best tackling S in the draft.

First timer for a comment, but I've loved the forum for a long time. As draft needs and available quality come together, it seems likely to me the Packers could look hard at a running back at Pick 75 in Round Three. NFLDraftScout.com lists Weber, Montgomery, Harris, Sanders, and Singletary as possibilities there. Who fits best?

40 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

First timer for a comment, but I've loved the forum for a long time. As draft needs and available quality come together, it seems likely to me the Packers could look hard at a running back at Pick 75 in Round Three. NFLDraftScout.com lists Weber, Montgomery, Harris, Sanders, and Singletary as possibilities there. Who fits best?

Justin Hill.  I'd wait until  the 4th (Love) or the 5th (Thompson).

32 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

The WRs have Adams and some players who could solidify their roles. The RBs are all in that second tier. It would be great to finally use some draft capital on a potential star, but this draft seems void of Buzz about that kind of running back. I’m curious to see if others want to take a shot at answering your question. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Damn dude. Dont be trying to change my mind now :)

Its okay to be excited about a lot of players. There better be a few good ones or this would really suck to cover.

Taylor Rapp. 20 yard shuttle: 3.99. 2nd fastest of ANYONE at the combine. 6.82 3 Cone is 3rd fastest of the Safeties and 8th fastest of all DBs. Fastest 60 yard shuttle out of all participants. Certainly some athleticism that seems to translate better than that 4.7 would indicate.

3 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Its okay to be excited about a lot of players. There better be a few good ones or this would really suck to cover.

Taylor Rapp. 20 yard shuttle: 3.99. 2nd fastest of ANYONE at the combine. 6.82 3 Cone is 3rd fastest of the Safeties and 8th fastest of all DBs. Fastest 60 yard shuttle out of all participants. Certainly some athleticism that seems to translate better than that 4.7 would indicate.

Taylor Rapp = Harrison Smith >>>>Jim Leonard, who ran Pettine's type of defense for years on instinct and saavy.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

12 - Cody Ford - OT

30 - Taylor Rapp - S

Yeah he's a blowhard.  Would puke if that's what we came away with.  On offense Dillard, Hock, or Fant.  Defense Oliver, Wilkins, Gary.  Betting it will be one of these 6 guys. Fant or Wilkins on a trade back perhaps.  Ford would be fine at 30 but not at 12.  Safety won't come until 44 at the earliest IMO.  Maybe a slot receiver but my guess is Gute feels pretty good about our depth there.  RB, TE are much bigger priorities in this draft. Unless a top talent like Oliver, Allen, Taylor, Dillard, or Hock are there I'd be looking for Gute to engineer a trade back to accumulate more capital.  Then perhaps try to trade up from 30 for a guy that falls.  Should be a real fun draft to watch.  I suspect a player we all cover will be there at 12 and he'll make the pick.  Burns is a nice player but not worth 12 overall.  On a trade back sure.  Neither is Sweat.  Ford at 12 is laughable. Wouldn't want Williams at 12 either. He's not athletic enough pass.  Personally if I had to guess I think Hock is going to be the pick.  He'll have the most impact in year 1 with the Pack.  Oliver, Dillard, Bosa, and Allen will all be off the board.

For those old enough to remember like me, but are way better football evaluators than me explain to me why Brian Burns isn't Jamal Reynolds 2.0. I know one shouldn't compare simply on the basis of going to the same college program, but as much as I would love to have Burns at 1.12, the whole Reynolds experience worries me a bit.

Taylor Rapp's highlights are really fun to watch. I love smart players. He'd have a spot on my team.

I feel like a good DC can find a role for him near the LOS. Looks faster than 4.74 in short areas anyway. Hopefully that time makes him a good value.

How would we feel about him with at pick 44? Amos playing the free role, Rapp taking Jone's snaps?

Archived