2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Correct on the age, my mistake and that makes it all the more imperative his not settle for a 1 year deal. That will surely be his last chance to cash in and he cannot settle for a 1 year deal coming off, your original point, a very good campaign. 

Dotson at 31 signed a 3 year, $16.5m deal a few years ago with only $4.25m gtd. It was effectively a 1 year deal. Bulaga is a better player, and Dotson was coming off of a couple seasons without full games as well. Something similar is maybe available, however Bulaga might not intend to play for another 4 more years, so maybe he does a 1 or 2 year deal. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

On first round OTs...

None of them will play LT for us in their rookie contract.

Therefore the only value from a day 1 OT is someone who:

(1) is an "as good of a" RT as Bulaga in 2019 such that Bulaga could slide inside OR

(2) Can play inside in year 1 and switch to RT in 2020 OR

(3) Can be a top 3 RT in year 2 regardless

Does that sound like Dillard or Taylor or Williams or Riser or anyone?

My take?  It is all about option #2.

I think that Taylor can be a great RG and a great RT.

I think that Risner could be an All-Pro guard and a top 15 RT in the league.

I haven't watched Dillard, so I can't say.  I haven't really watched J. Williams much either.  The little I did see on Williams screams guard.

I'm good with finding a way for either one of Risner or Taylor.  I prefer Risner because I think he could be had at pick #44 or via slight trade up.  He's not immediate help, but he is immediate, quality backup who should start in 2020.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

On first round OTs...

None of them will play LT for us in their rookie contract.

Therefore the only value from a day 1 OT is someone who:

(1) is an "as good of a" RT as Bulaga in 2019 such that Bulaga could slide inside OR

(2) Can play inside in year 1 and switch to RT in 2020 OR

(3) Can be a top 3 RT in year 2 regardless

Does that sound like Dillard or Taylor or Williams or Riser or anyone?

Only OL I'm considering at 12 is Dillard and it's purely because of his upside even though you're still "wasting" the pick a bit because you're talking about him playing RT, not LT. 

At 30 and 44, the value at OL in general, especially OG, becomes a lot better IMO. 

on Dillard...am I wrong to think he might be a better LT than RT? I know the distinction is getting more and more blurry. Just not sure if he would be a better RT and Taylor (at 12) or Risner (later).

I feel like the only pick at 12 on the OL would be Taylor due to his immediate value at OG and future value at OT.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

on Dillard...am I wrong to think he might be a better LT than RT? I know the distinction is getting more and more blurry. Just not sure if he would be a better RT and Taylor (at 12) or Risner (later).

I feel like the only pick at 12 on the OL would be Taylor due to his immediate value at OG and future value at OT.

I think Taylor is going to get over-drafted anyways and won't be there at 12, but the guy's pass blocking grades aren't great IIRC. Much better run blocker. I feel like all of the OL that we would be considering at 12 have some significant flaws. 

9 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

That’s a stretch.  Metcalf has Torrey Smith/Mike Wallace upside. 

Such a Baltimore pick and they are interested. I hate for them to take yet another bust. At the same time Campbelll drops to  round two.

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think Taylor is going to get over-drafted anyways and won't be there at 12, but the guy's pass blocking grades aren't great IIRC. Much better run blocker. I feel like all of the OL that we would be considering at 12 have some significant flaws. 

Taylor allowed 10 total pressures on 364 snaps. At least according to PFF he's a better pass blocker than run blocker.

1 hour ago, Cadmus said:

I literally have nothing else to say, but that I agree with you 100% here. 

Give yourself multiple outs here: 

1) Spriggs takes another jump and secures RT (way more realistic than some believe IMHO). 

2) Draft a mid-late round Tackle --> Such as Scharping or Hyatt etc. and they lock down RT. 

3) See what Pankey and Light can do with another year under their belts (I feel both are more capable than many believe) 

4) Re-sign Bulaga 

5) Kick Turner out to RT (wouldn't be the worst, but should definitely be last resort IMHO)

Yep.

I see several options and it all depends on what they see with the guys in house and how much they like the propects.

1) They love Dillard and see him as the solution at RT and replacement for Bakh. Tackle is set for the rest of AR's career. One guard to sort out after this year.

2) They like Spriggs and want to solidify the line and grab Lindstrom early round two.

3) They want to see what they have and target Scharping, Hyatt, others for future LT/RT

All those are good options. Just depends how much they like these guys and what they have. But Bulaga is almost certainly done in GB. He retires or gets a contract elsewhere. This is year ten. His knees and back are almost done. I don't see them gambling here. It's a good chance to take care of biz here. They will double down and make sure three ways that Rodgers does not go down again. waaaaaaaay too much invested in "the man". And he's your real ticket to another Superbowl, not this Defense no matter how many picks you throw at it.

17 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Taylor allowed 10 total pressures on 364 snaps. At least according to PFF he's a better pass blocker than run blocker.

I think he improved some last year at RT. According to PFF, here is his overall career grade at OT compared to some of the other candidates: 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I think he improved some last year at RT. According to PFF, here is his overall career grade at OT compared to some of the other candidates: 

3bU6FDV.jpg

I'm a sucker and subscribed, this is a clip from their draft guide. It does look like he improved significantly last year.

46 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

That’s a stretch.  Metcalf has Torrey Smith/Mike Wallace upside. 

DK is almost 4 inches taller and 30 lbs bigger than both of those guys. Those 2 were just burners. DK can also win with size.

I get not wanting DK (had an injury which limited his production), but like athletically DK is in the Mike Evans/Dez/Andre Johnson genetically different legit #1 upside category.

I am foolish for thinking that if I draft a guy with the plan of having him start at tackle eventually, I’d rather just keep him as a backup tackle than spend a year of his development in a position I don’t plan on playing him long-term?

27 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I am foolish for thinking that if I draft a guy with the plan of having him start at tackle eventually, I’d rather just keep him as a backup tackle than spend a year of his development in a position I don’t plan on playing him long-term?

No.  Not foolish, but it does happen.  I think Ogden played guard for a year become an out of this world tackle.  

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Depends on where you draft him and how ready he is day one and who else you have.

I can't draft a healthy OL at 12 and sit him for a year...especially if he's one of the best 5 on the team (which you would think he should be if you take him at 12).

Archived