2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

5 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

This is is why I am becoming more enamored with Hockenson as our 12th pick - and even possibly moving up for him.  From everything that I have heard a TE that is not a part time player is critical in LaFleur's offense.  This may be what is needed to make sure that the HC has everything that is needed to succeed.  As far as Fant, listening to Dave Te Thomas's  breakdown of TE's on his podcast "Scout's Honor" I believe that although he is an athletic freak, he may have tendencies toward being a Diva.  As Hock began getting more and more playing time, Fant started to sulk and his playing suffered. He only had one catch in two of the last three games.  Then he refused to play in Iowa's bowl game.  Not sure if he loves football as much as a first round player should.

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Fant has never made sense for MLF's offense.  Freak athlete or not, I'd be very surprised to see GB select him.

This is Aaron's offense. Matt is tasked to lead it, but the offense needs to be built to Aaron's liking, not forcing him to fit some ideals LaFleur holds. Fant is the TE to pair with Aaron. That's the case with any franchise QB, your offense revolves around their traits.

19 minutes ago, Starr2Max said:

This is is why I am becoming more enamored with Hockenson as our 12th pick - and even possibly moving up for him.  From everything that I have heard a TE that is not a part time player is critical in LaFleur's offense.  This may be what is needed to make sure that the HC has everything that is needed to succeed.  As far as Fant, listening to Dave Te Thomas's  breakdown of TE's on his podcast "Scout's Honor" I believe that although he is an athletic freak, he may have tendencies toward being a Diva.  As Hock began getting more and more playing time, Fant started to sulk and his playing suffered. He only had one catch in two of the last three games.  Then he refused to play in Iowa's bowl game.  Not sure if he loves football as much as a first round player should.

That's an argument for Sweeney, late day three whom I like. I also like Moreau, who is a plus blocker and has underused passing ability. At the very least it's a weapon in some spots though Aaron didn't like using Lewis last year. I think some of it is just reigning in Aaron's desire for the big gain and moderating the use of it. Another deep weapon like Isabella and a future TE as well as an upgrade for RB in this draft may be enough, with Isabella being the highest price at about a pick 60.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is Aaron's offense. Matt is tasked to lead it, but the offense needs to be built to Aaron's liking, not forcing him to fit some ideals LaFleur holds. Fant is the TE to pair with Aaron. That's the case with any franchise QB, your offense revolves around their traits.

That's quite strong. Not sure MLF is re-writing his playbook or philosophies anytime soon

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why?

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Totally disagree. MLF should run his offense and if it’s a good offense, Aaron will succeed. If Aaron does his own thing, no offense will work. MLF should play to his strengths but you don’t change your whole offense to fit the QB. 

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Why?

Hock is Graham, Hock is Marty B, Lewis. He's not a move TE. Rodgers wants a seam TE with movement skills that gets separation. He doesn't want to throw 50/50 balls to the tall guys. LaFleur can make his offense work with a TE Fant, and he should. That's what I'm saying. Rodgers isn't designing the offense, but they sure as hell should be collaborating on a preferred skill set for the skills guys.

Interesting comments from Colts GM Chris Ballard on this year's draft:

Ballard: “All of these mock drafts are wrong”

Reporter: “Aren’t they always?”

Ballard: “Yea but this year they’re really wrong.”

Ballard explains that he sees 14 players in this draft who are blue chip, elite level players. From 15 through the top of the third, “the talent level is consistent.”

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Hock is Graham, Hock is Marty B, Lewis. He's not a move TE. Rodgers wants a seam TE with movement skills that gets separation. He doesn't want to throw 50/50 balls to the tall guys. LaFleur can make his offense work with a TE Fant, and he should. That's what I'm saying. Rodgers isn't designing the offense, but they sure as hell should be collaborating on a preferred skill set for the skills guys.

And it's not as if Fant can't block and seal off a backside too. He absolutely can. I have no inside info, but it would not surprise me if Fant was more coveted than Hock any way you want to slice it. 

12 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Interesting comments from Colts GM Chris Ballard on this year's draft.

Wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the 12 he's talking about are front 7 players. Jeffrey Simmons is a top 10 player, without the injury, so I would think Ballard is talking about him. Would a team bite, way up there? 

I'll say this: my gut says GB is one of a small handful of teams confident enough and not beholden to an owner enough to make that pick happen 

3 hours ago, Starr2Max said:

I’m not going to worry if they play in the bowl or not. Gotta make the business decision at that point. Any first rounder who plays isn’t taking their craft seriously, IMO. It’s a month after their regular season ended. It’s two months before the combine. 

I don’t know the situation, but the receptions are the most concerning thing there.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Fant has never made sense for MLF's offense. 

Fant can block better than all but about 4-5 tight ends in this class.  It's just he has a rep as a "poor blocker" since one of those guys was at the same school.  But Fant is easily a better blocker than Irv Smith or Jace Sternberger.

Archived