GDT Week 3: DEN @ BAL

Broncofan

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I just don't get wasting timeouts when you're down in the 3rd quarter seems like Vance has poor situational football awareness. 

It’d have made sense if Denver were able to challenge the spot as it could’ve potentially saved a TD.  The fact that they used it and still couldn’t challenge makes it even worse.

As good as the offensive playcalling has been at times, today it was putrid. Denver was a mess. The penalties were atrocious. Outside of the two blocked kicks today, I genuinely cannot think of anything they did well.

Guys who sucked- Keenum (horrific), Bolles (absolutely garbage in every way), the entire secondary, playcalling, Marquette King, the rest of the offensive line, Vance Joseph, Joe Woods. I think that sums it up. This team is brutal coming east, but I expected better than this.

20 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

As good as the offensive playcalling has been at times, today it was putrid. Denver was a mess. The penalties were atrocious. Outside of the two blocked kicks today, I genuinely cannot think of anything they did well.

Guys who sucked- Keenum (horrific), Bolles (absolutely garbage in every way), the entire secondary, playcalling, Marquette King, the rest of the offensive line, Vance Joseph, Joe Woods. I think that sums it up. This team is brutal coming east, but I expected better than this.

This is pretty much what I expected this season for the most part. Can't pass protect, can't cover outside of Chris Harris, Keenum holds the ball WAY too long.

Every time Bolles gets called for holding, it's because he tackles DE.

Most of the holding penalties were because Keenum kept hold of the ball too long. You can't expect the OL to hold their blocks for 15 seconds especially when the QB runs out of the pocket.

Keenum just seemed too slow doing everything today - like he was suffering a hangover and everything was taking too long to process.  Things were better in the hurry-up only for Keenum to throw a pick and then later for not recognising there was 12 men in the huddle and backing out, instead costing a 5 yd penalty.

either way - you are not going to win a game with 49 passing yards in the first half.

Well, the good news is that we're never as bad as our worst day, or as good as our best day.    So no matter how bad it looks today, it's likely not that ugly.

On the other hand...we're nowhere even close to a contender, either.  Contenders don't get run out of the house like that, and get beaten on both sides of the ball in the trenches.   Remember those shiny PFF #'s?  The huge caveat besides small sample size holds true yet again - the #'s don't account for the competition faced, they assume everyone is the same.  Today, put us against a decent team, and a tough D...and man, we did not match up, or show up in the trenches at all.  And yeah, this is now 3 weeks where Keenum has looked very pedestrian for long stretches at a time.  The difference being, we weren't facing a bottom 5 to bottom 10 team at home to overcome terrible QB play for 1H (or more, in this case).

Can't really say too much else, as I was watching off a horrible internet feed using crappy wifi.   We aren't this bad, but our pass D, pass blocking and our QB play are very much HUGE Q marks.   Add it up, it's why 7-9/8-8 seemed a safe call.   

Next week - it's KC at home.   Given how hot Mahomes has been, it's hard to see us pulling it out.  But W or L, I'd hope we see real progress in the 3 weak areas we've shown the last 3 weeks - the W's vs. vastly inferior talent masked it, but it will be on full display after this week, and next week's test vs. KC.

33 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Vance Joseph and Joe Woods are simply not cut out for their roles. There are holes on D, but the individual talent is better than the total product. That’s on coaching. 

For both being defensive back coaches you’d really think we’d be better there.

You don’t win with crap QB play, pure and simple.  That’s what Denver’s had the past 2 years and the last 2 games.  They were lucky to scratch out a win vs Oakland.  

Keenum flat out has to be better if this teams going to win games.  He had some pressure today, no doubt, but it wasn’t a ridiculous amount.  He had plenty of moments where he had time and didn’t know what to do with the football and plenty of times he held the ball too long.  His arm looked ridiculously weak as well.

He flat out missed 2 wide open receivers on the last goal line possession.  He ran around in the backfield like a chicken with his head cut off even when he had time. 

Vance Joseph sucks, but that isn’t even the #1 issue with this team.  Finding a legitimate starting NFL QB is.  Until then, it doesn’t matter whose coaching...this franchise will be mediocre at best.

Archived