TNF: Jets vs Browns GDT The Battle of the light weights.

Kiwibrown

Who do you have?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Browns vs Jets

2. 2. How many Ints for Darnold?

Just now, iknowcool said:

I misspoke saying throw it forward.  I just meant they could fumble and hope the ball goes forward.  It would be a cheap way to score a TD in the final seconds.

I feel that the success rate of doing that would be far lower than a normal forward pass or running play, though... lol

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Yeah but if it's fumbled, bounces into the endzone, then an offensive player picks it up, isn't it still a TD?

Nah because it would just be dead at the spot it was fumbled.  The play would only keep going just to give the defense a chance to recover.

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

It isn't a stupid rule.

Imagine playing a team and there is no time remaining.  They are at the 5 yard line.  You stop them.  What is to stop them from just throwing the ball forward and hoping to recover it in the endzone (thus a TD)?  Would you want to lose like that?

Make those plays reviewable to determine if the fumble was intentional...  Intentional fumble = 15y penalty / Legit fumble = Play stands.   

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

I feel that the success rate of doing that would be far lower than a normal forward pass or running play, though... lol

Well yeah.  The situation is if they were clearly not going to get in via pass or run, the ball-handler at the time could just "fumble" and hope for a lucky bounce.

QB getting sacked, just shovels it forward and gets lucky and Chargers lose.  It'd be a cheap way to lose a game.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The Raiders 'accidentally' fumbled the ball forward...for 15 or 20 yards lol. Scored a TD at the end of the game, the Chargers were pissed

Just now, iknowcool said:

Well yeah.  The situation is if they were clearly not going to get in via pass or run, the ball-handler at the time could just "fumble" and hope for a lucky bounce.

QB getting sacked, just shovels it forward and gets lucky and Chargers lose.  It'd be a cheap way to lose a game.

Yeah well that play probably ends the other way 99 out of 100 times.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Yeah well that play probably ends the other way 99 out of 100 times.

I think you're missing the point lol

But not really.  If a QB did that at the 5 yard line and the ball rolled into the endzone, it wouldn't be that unlikely that a fellow offensive player recovered it in that small of a vicinity.  It would be a 50/50 chance.  That is what the rule is trying to prevent.  It's a good rule.  I'm actually surprised to see people have a problem with it lol.  It has been around forever

Archived