TNF: Jets vs Browns GDT The Battle of the light weights.

Kiwibrown

Who do you have?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Browns vs Jets

2. 2. How many Ints for Darnold?

Just now, iknowcool said:

I think you're missing the point lol

But not really.  If a QB did that at the 5 yard line and the ball rolled into the endzone, it wouldn't be that unlikely that a fellow offensive player recovered it in that small of a vicinity.  It would be a 50/50 chance.  That is what the rule is trying to prevent.  It's a good rule.  I'm actually surprised to see people have a problem with it lol.  It has been around forever

If doing this was more effective than a regular forward pass though, teams would be doing it all the time before the 2 minute warning. Fact is, it's just not. The rule is in effect because of one fluke play in one game? Doesn't seem like a good rule to me.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I think you're missing the point lol

But not really.  If a QB did that at the 5 yard line and the ball rolled into the endzone, it wouldn't be that unlikely that a fellow offensive player recovered it in that small of a vicinity.  It would be a 50/50 chance.  That is what the rule is trying to prevent.  It's a good rule.  I'm actually surprised to see people have a problem with it lol.  It has been around forever

Moreover, even if we accept that the last two minutes of a game this is a cheap tactic, why does this extend to the final two minutes of the first half? Teams are unlikely to make such a risky move at the end of the half when they are guaranteed at least a field goal by playing it safe.

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Teams would abuse it if it wasn't in place.  You could just fumble forward on the last play and hope your teammate recovers it for a TD.  It's a good rule.  Its only in place in the last 2 minutes for that reason.

Difference of opinion then. It has such a low percentage chance of working (intentional offensive fumble recovery for a TD) that I don’t really care. Teams do weird things at the end of games (backyard football laterals), I don’t think they should all be banned.

It’s football, if you can do it during the other 56 minutes, you should be able to do it during the remaining 4 minutes. 

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

If doing this was more effective than a regular forward pass though, teams would be doing it all the time before the 2 minute warning. Fact is, it's just not. The rule is in effect because of one fluke play in one game? Doesn't seem like a good rule to me.

Huh??  I never said it was more effective than a forward pass.

Watch the play and I think you would understand more.  I'm not saying a team would do this in replacement of an actual play.  What would happen is what happened in the video: a QB is about to get sacked, either in the grasp (as Stabler was) or about to be.  He fumbles the ball forward and it becomes a 50/50 play on who recovers it in the endzone.

LIS, you are missing the point.  The rule isn't in place because they think teams would rather fumble than run an actual play.  The rule is in place to prevent desperation plays like what happened in the Holy Roller.  

The rule has been around for decades.  

Just now, iknowcool said:

Huh??  I never said it was more effective than a forward pass.

Watch the play and I think you would understand more.  I'm not saying a team would do this in replacement of an actual play.  What would happen is what happened in the video: a QB is about to get sacked, either in the grasp (as Stabler was) or about to be.  He fumbles the ball forward and it becomes a 50/50 play on who recovers it in the endzone.

LIS, you are missing the point.  The rule isn't in place because they think teams would rather fumble than run an actual play.  The rule is in place to prevent desperation plays like what happened in the Holy Roller.  

The rule has been around for decades.  

Again, why the last two minutes in the first half and not just the final two minutes of the game? Teams aren't going to pitch it out for grabs at the end of the first half and risk a turnover when they can at least get a FG.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Moreover, even if we accept that the last two minutes of a game this is a cheap tactic, why does this extend to the final two minutes of the first half? Teams are unlikely to make such a risky move at the end of the half when they are guaranteed at least a field goal by playing it safe.

Not if they are down by more than a field goal at the end of the game.

Nobody is saying teams would fumble rather than forward pass.  The rule is to prevent teams from doing it as a desperation move.

EDIT - Misread your post about it applying to the first half.  I don't know.  Maybe you could question that, but the rule itself isn't as big of a deal.  It isn't a problem.

Archived