Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

What does a blind stat check have to do with Hamilton being really, really good yesterday?

Nothing. I was just curious as to what people thought compared to other box safeties. 

Also - where did I say he wasn’t good. Overrated doesn’t mean he wasn’t good. He’s overrated because Baltimore uses him in a really specific way that is really good yet people react on twitter/X that it’s all him. As far as I can find it looked like he was only on Kelce for 1 of his 11 targets (and since he caught all 11, means he didn’t cover him on any PD situations) - so I’m asking if he’s that good, why didn’t Baltimore play him on Kelce more?

FWIW I think Mike Macdonald called an amazing game yesterday. Guys were in position all game. He put guys in the right place all year. 

But as for the overrated part, I don’t think Hamilton would be this good if he played here or many other places. Too many coaches would ask him to do things he’s not great at. They would be asking him to play more traditional safety positions. Just got reference the Ravens played a lot of 3 safety looks as Hamilton played 81% of snaps, Stone played 82% of snaps and Stephens played 93% of snaps (Marcus Williams logged 55% of snaps fwiw). 

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Too many coaches would ask him to do things he’s not great at.

Maybe those coaches are just dumb?

I'm sorry, but you are losing me with the whole "...but he didn't do X". He was great in what he did do. You are just searching for ways to discredit him. 

Ask your question this way: If Hamilton is dominating the game, why would I ask him to do something different?

10 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Maybe those coaches are just dumb?

I'm sorry, but you are losing me with the whole "...but he didn't do X". He was great in what he did do. You are just searching for ways to discredit him. 

Ask your question this way: If Hamilton is dominating the game, why would I ask him to do something different?

So Hamilton is good at coverage right?  So why not put him on the guy killing you.

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So Hamilton is good at coverage right?  So why not put him on the guy killing you.

he was on Kelce for the hip pocket TD.

Good coverage

vs

Perfect pass

guess what happened 

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

he was on Kelce for the hip pocket TD.

Good coverage

vs

Perfect pass

guess what happened 

Ok? iIRC that was the only coverage snap in a target that Hamilton had. And that’s always a tip of the cap to the offense. 

They should have had him on Kelce all the time IMO since he’s good at defending guys like that. So I’m just curious as to why they didn’t do that. 

39 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ok? iIRC that was the only coverage snap in a target that Hamilton had. And that’s always a tip of the cap to the offense. 

They should have had him on Kelce all the time IMO since he’s good at defending guys like that. So I’m just curious as to why they didn’t do that. 

no doubt - put the quality defender on the HOF TE.

If I was DC I would put my #2 big CB on Kelce , so perhaps Trice next year for example unless we sign Sneed of course, then he would cover Kelce especially since he knows him (and a reason to sign Sneed of course) . Letting Kelce get to the spots in zones is a losing scheme . About as bad a scheme as zone blitz vs Brady if you can imagine that

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

I unfortunately do not have high hopes for Trice. He has already torn both ACLs and broken his ankle at age 23. 

Yea. I rather he be a pleasant surprise than a counted on disappointment. 

Listening to local BMore radio today was funny as the guy was going off on how the Chiefs finally followed the Steelers game plan. Contain blitz for Lamar and go behind the blitzer with the pass. 

Is John Harbaugh overrated as a coach?

I looked over his 11 post season appearances and feel they can be divided into three categories.

There was one season when they were 9-7 and were probably just lucky to be in the playoffs.

Seven seasons consisted of Why Not Us?  They were not the top few teams heading into the postseason but they certainly had enough team to win it all.  I would put Harbaugh's sole SB victory in this category.

Three seasons where they were at least the 2nd best team in the league but failed to appear in the SB, let alone win one.  

Obviously, the latter is the killer.  Had they won the SB just one of these three years, it would be acceptable. 

Harbaugh is certainly a good HC but not an elite one.  Until he wins another SB, I would keep his name out of the top coaching category.  

18 hours ago, warfelg said:

why go to such a bad team. Johnson should be coaching in the game this week IMO, but the HC cost them that game. Expect the Lions to be back next year, Ben knows this. Win SB or risk going to washington?  easy to see why he has done this