Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

why go to such a bad team. Johnson should be coaching in the game this week IMO, but the HC cost them that game. Expect the Lions to be back next year, Ben knows this. Win SB or risk going to washington?  easy to see why he has done this

1- that’s typically the way it works. 
2- Ownership is a tight fraternity and they talk

3- this is two years in a row that he made it to being the preferred choice and dropped out. These owners don’t like having their time wasted. 
4- almost all of what you said would have been known except the SB thing. 

Sooner or later owners can and will move on to other candidates. They will look at other guys without as high of demands as this, and take them more seriously. It’s just a business of coaching. 

Obviously I’m not an NFL coach. But it happened to me. I was an asst HC for a lacrosse team, another school contacted me to be the HC, I turned it down because I wanted to help the team I was with get a playoff win. Never got a HC call again despite being a much better team. Found out ADs thought I would be difficult to work with because of that. 

On 2/4/2024 at 7:37 AM, warfelg said:

Kind of gives me Josh McDaniels vibes? Not quite as bad because McDaniels actually accepted a HC position before bailing but I would agree something seems off here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, warfelg said:

There’s some speculation in the area I live that WAS may trade 2 and the Chi 2 from Sweat for 1. 

If Chicago was smart they would start a bidding war and try to squeeze more out of them.   With the QB desperate Pats sitting at 3 and a few other desperate teams sitting at 8 thru 12, they could possibly squeeze a future 1st out of Washington for moving up 1 spot.   I think the Pats would trade a future 1st to move up from 3.   If the Bears are trading down, that means they are LIKELY going to roll with Fields another year.    Get an extra future 1st, draft Marvin Harrison Jr at 2 or 3, and put your team in an excellent situation going forward.

That being said...if they arent sold on Fields, they should just go QB.  

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

If Chicago was smart they would start a bidding war and try to squeeze more out of them.   With the QB desperate Pats sitting at 3 and a few other desperate teams sitting at 8 thru 12, they could possibly squeeze a future 1st out of Washington for moving up 1 spot.   I think the Pats would trade a future 1st to move up from 3.   If the Bears are trading down, that means they are LIKELY going to roll with Fields another year.    Get an extra future 1st, draft Marvin Harrison Jr at 2 or 3, and put your team in an excellent situation going forward.

That being said...if they arent sold on Fields, they should just go QB.  

This is one of the few times you get "cute" from a GM standpoint.  Talk to other teams but take that from WAS if you have Williams and Maye rated the same.  I wouldn't trade with NE at 3, because that means taking Daniels there because someone will move up to 4 for him.  Trying to get more 1sts will end up being greedy because if Washington is happy with Maye or Danies and NE is happy with both as well, you would trade yourself out of the QB sweeps.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, warfelg said:

I never would have wanted McNabb on my team. He had such a spoiled brat personality, and he was inaccurate from the pocket. I don’t know who thought putting TO and him together was a good idea. Like dropping dynamite into a vat of gasoline.

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

It’s a travesty that Devin Hester got into the HOF over Antonio Gates.

Hester should be in but he needed to be held off more. 

I felt like this year was a underwhelming year for HOF overall. Guys with short careers or just really good at one thing.