Redskins Ranked 1st in Defense through 2 Weeks

turtle28

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We should call the Seahawks about Earl Thomas. He’s not old at 29 and should have a lot of football left in him. This would allow Swearinger to play his natural position and give Nicholson more time to develop. 

Nicholson should be playing 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We should call the Seahawks about Earl Thomas. He’s not old at 29 and should have a lot of football left in him. This would allow Swearinger to play his natural position and give Nicholson more time to develop. 

I wouldn’t pay him long-term — but if we could pay a rental price to get him, I’d think about it. 

I like Nicholson’s potential, and I think he’s a mostly decent starting safety now. But Earl Thomas is a legitimate star on the back end of a defense, and would be a substantial upgrade. The trust level you have with a guy like that can allow a defense to be more aggressive with blitzes and other tactics to pressure the QB and attack opposing run games.   

I think he’d also provide a more cerebral example for Nicholson to learn from. Everybody loves Swearinger’s energy and intensity and fire — but a student of the game with HOF-level instincts and reads could probably help school Nicholson up a little bit in the finer arts of safety play. 

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I wouldn’t pay him long-term — but if we could pay a rental price to get him, I’d think about it. 

I like Nicholson’s potential, and I think he’s a mostly decent starting safety now. But Earl Thomas is a legitimate star on the back end of a defense, and would be a substantial upgrade. The trust level you have with a guy like that can allow a defense to be more aggressive with blitzes and other tactics to pressure the QB and attack opposing run games.   

I think he’d also provide a more cerebral example for Nicholson to learn from. Everybody loves Swearinger’s energy and intensity and fire — but a student of the game with HOF-level instincts and reads could probably help school Nicholson up a little bit in the finer arts of safety play. 

I dont think Earl Thomas is trying to teach anyone nor does he want a young guy looking over his shoulder. Also Nicholson could prob start for other teams and by the time his rookie contract is up I dont think he would want to stick around.

No thanks on Earl Thomas, and I'm a huge ET fan. However, if we were gonna make a mid season trade to upgrade, it should be at a position we are weak at. I'd be down for trading for a dominant LG or dominant edge pass rusher or even a true #1 receiver. But upgrading at FS and taking away a young player like Nicholson's playing time is not smart. Now if Nicholson gets hurt, that's another story. 

We're ranked 11th in defensive DVOA.  8th against the pass.  31st against the run.  Honestly, on a play by play basis, we really are terrible against the run.  It's not a surprise to me, since I never thought Payne was a legit 3-4, run stuffing, NT.  There are other players at fault too, obviously.  Regardless, it's something that is probably going to really hurt us down the line.

8 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

We're ranked 11th in defensive DVOA.  8th against the pass.  31st against the run.  Honestly, on a play by play basis, we really are terrible against the run.  It's not a surprise to me, since I never thought Payne was a legit 3-4, run stuffing, NT.  There are other players at fault too, obviously.  Regardless, it's something that is probably going to really hurt us down the line.

I will agree that our run D is not doing well, I however am not goin to play our D-Line. Our D-Line frequently occupies blocks our ILBs (sadly our best one is playing the worst) are not filling gaps and making the plays. How many times have we heard Zach Browns name on running plays. Him and Mason Foster have to be better.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:53 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

If only we had been able to draft Vea, he’s been so awesome... oh, you’re telling me he hasn’t played a snap?

Payne has been good, as have the other DL, the issue has clearly been our ILBs, mostly it’s Zach Brown who’s been evading his gaps and responsibilities. I don’t know what he’s doing out there. In each game on a few plays he’s evaded his gap, gone to the same gap that Payne, another DL or Foster is covering and leaving a wide open hole where he’s vacated his responsibility. Besides David Johnson, the other backs on Indy & Green Bay are Average and because of what Brown is doing they’re finding wide open holes.

If it wasn’t for the tacking of our DBs 10 yards downfield, we would’ve given up a 30 plus yard rushing TD this year already.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If only we had been able to draft Vea, he’s been so awesome... oh, you’re telling me he hasn’t played a snap?

Payne has been good, as have the other DL, the issue has clearly been our ILBs, mostly it’s Zach Brown who’s been evading his gaps and responsibilities. I don’t know what he’s doing out there. In each game on a few plays he’s evaded his gap, gone to the same gap that Payne, another DL or Foster is covering and leaving a wide open hole where he’s vacated his responsibility. Besides David Johnson, the other backs on Indy & Green Bay are Average and because of what Brown is doing they’re finding wide open holes.

If it wasn’t for the tacking of our DBs 10 yards downfield, we would’ve given up a 30 plus yard rushing TD this year already.

PFF has Zach Brown ranked as the #4 ILB in the league.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:53 PM, turtle28 said:

What!? Brown has been a stud. 

On 9/26/2018 at 1:53 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

No it won’t. Settle can slide right in and Payne can move outside. With that said, you hated the pick from the beginning and Payne has played well. It’s going to be a while before you acknowledge his stellar play which is fine. 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

No it won’t. Settle can slide right in and Payne can move outside. With that said, you hated the pick from the beginning and Payne has played well. It’s going to be a while before you acknowledge his stellar play which is fine. 

I always said I liked Payne as a pass rusher and as someone who can hold his own against single teams in the run game.  He has been pretty good at both so far for us.

But I also consistently said I don't like him at NT because he gets moved way too easily against down blocks and double teams.  He has been bad at this so far for us.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:39 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

PFF has Zach Brown ranked as the #4 ILB in the league.

I don’t care, watch him. There’s been a few plays each game where he’s evaded his gap responsibility and that’s where the RB goes and they pick up 5 plus yards.

Blaming Payne, is just you trying to be right about him when it’s only 3 games into his pro career. It’s a really unfair take.

Archived