Let the Mayfield Mayhem Begin

Dawgpoun8017

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Lol it’s crazy with Baker I don’t even care now that he wins or throws picks whatever 

I just want him to keep playing and learn 

I want to see him grow in this offense, hit Njocku, Calloway, and Jarvis on some big plays and learn

and honestly I don’t want to fire Hue

is...is that...deshone kizer in your avatar?

16 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Lol it’s crazy with Baker I don’t even care now that he wins or throws picks whatever 

I just want him to keep playing and learn 

I want to see him grow in this offense, hit Njocku, Calloway, and Jarvis on some big plays and learn

and honestly I don’t want to fire Hue

I don't care about firing Hue either. Greg has the defense. Baker/Haley have the offense. Baker will control clock management very shortly. He'll probably be in charge of the timeouts shortly. Hue can sit back and enjoy the ride. If Baker is worth his salt he can win with Hue.

16 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't care about firing Hue either. Greg has the defense. Baker/Haley have the offense. Baker will control clock management very shortly. He'll probably be in charge of the timeouts shortly. Hue can sit back and enjoy the ride. If Baker is worth his salt he can win with Hue.

No doubt he can, as he's already won in spite of him.

What would be ideal though, is to hire a coach that will maximize what Baker brings to the table rather than hindering it.

A head coach needs to do more to make the team better than just be along for the ride.

19 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

/looks at avatar

You just can't help yourself from hitching your wagon to lame horses.

Still like the hot avatar.

Keep it, since we won with it.

Or take a chance at removing it and thereby causing us to lose. ;)

7 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

I think the organizational decision to sit him is a separate issue from the coaching decision to not give him any reps at all with the first team offense.

Even Tom Brady's backups get first team reps. It is downright stupid to withhold those reps from your backup. Especially for a team that has started over 30 QBs in a decade.

Tyrod needed every rep as possible since he has never played in a haley type offense. Maybe if Tyrod was an established QB for this team the past couple years, pulling him and Letting the back up to take reps is fine but when the starter is still learning. It makes sense to keep him in. Brady’s back up gets reps cause Brady doesn’t need them. He has played long enough that those reps are not going to make him better or worse offense. It’s not like baker wasn’t getting any reps during practices. Just wouldn’t get them with the first team. 

How is LeBron currently viewed overall in Cleveland sports lore? Is he a hero or a villain or bittersweet?

Basketball makes me want to claw my eyes out but I know he’s pretty much the man when it comes to that.

Wondering what it would take for Baker to overtake him in Cleveland sports history? Nothing short of a title?

Cleveland is a football city no matter what right?

10 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

How is LeBron currently viewed overall in Cleveland sports lore? Is he a hero or a villain or bittersweet?

Basketball makes me want to claw my eyes out but I know he’s pretty much the man when it comes to that.

Wondering what it would take for Baker to overtake him in Cleveland sports history? Nothing short of a title?

Lebron is a hero in Cleveland sports lore, he's one of the GOAT and willed us to a title. He got a billboard for his troubles.

Cleveland, being a football town, would rename the Terminal Tower after Mayfield and retrofit it with a beard if he brought us a title. In that case, he'd overtake Lebron, but I can't see it happening with anything short of a title. As much as I love Bernie Kosar, who took us deep into the playoffs multiple times, Lebron has the edge on him in the Cleveland pantheon for me (and I'm more of a football guy).

5 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Lebron is a hero in Cleveland sports lore, he's one of the GOAT and willed us to a title. He got a billboard for his troubles.

Cleveland, being a football town, would rename the Terminal Tower after Mayfield and retrofit it with a beard if he brought us a title. In that case, he'd overtake Lebron, but I can't see it happening with anything short of a title. As much as I love Bernie Kosar, who took us deep into the playoffs multiple times, Lebron has the edge on him in the Cleveland pantheon for me (and I'm more of a football guy).

Is Otto Graham up there with LeBron? Or too far back?

My team here has no modern icons or legends. You have to go back to 1980 for the most recent ones that have any real gravitas. The few since are more ‘cult hero’... the type that either were amazing for one year by achieved nothing (Gordonesque) or a guy that was likeable for a funny reason but actually pretty **** at the sport. Cleveland probably has a few of those too.

5 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Is Otto Graham up there with LeBron? Or too far back?

My team here has no modern icons or legends. You have to go back to 1980 for the most recent ones that have any real gravitas. The few since are more ‘cult hero’... the type that either were amazing for one year by achieved nothing (Gordonesque) or a guy that was likeable for a funny reason but actually pretty **** at the sport. Cleveland probably has a few of those too.

I would say Jim Brown is seen in the same light as LeBron being seen as one of the best if not the best to ever play their game.  But LeBron is now, so he is much bigger than Jim Brown. Otto Graham, Lou Groza, and the old time players have recognizable names but they aren't on the same playing field as Brown.  LeBron is bigger than anything and I think that if Mayfield was able to take the Browns to a Super Bowl win, he would be up there with LeBron.  But I'm not sure anyone could reach what LeBron has been able to do.

7 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I would say Jim Brown is seen in the same light as LeBron being seen as one of the best if not the best to ever play their game.  But LeBron is now, so he is much bigger than Jim Brown. Otto Graham, Lou Groza, and the old time players have recognizable names but they aren't on the same playing field as Brown.  LeBron is bigger than anything and I think that if Mayfield was able to take the Browns to a Super Bowl win, he would be up there with LeBron.  But I'm not sure anyone could reach what LeBron has been able to do.

I agree, Jim Brown is (and should be) mentioned in the same breath with LeBron in terms of Cleveland sports legends (and in GOAT of their sport conversations) even though most of us didn't get to see him play. Maybe Otto should be to, but TBH it's too far back for most peoples memories.

53 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Cleveland is absolutely a football town. When the Cavs won it all, 1.3 million people came to the parade. I'd imagine if the Browns did the same, the crowd would be twice as big.

Yes, it sucks that LeBron left, but I think this time around, there's a little more of an understanding behind his departure. He did what he came back to do, and now it's time for a new era of Cavs basketball. Regardless, I'm in full on football mode right now. I'm sure when playoff baseball starts I'll watch the Indians, but I just want Browns football 24/7, and I think a lot of Clevelanders feel that way.

Bottom line, Baker makes a run in the playoffs, I think that discussion will arise, but it's gonna take years of consistently good teams to catch LeBron, and to overtake him outright, he's gotta win a title. Because Bron is easily the greatest athlete to come out of Northeast Ohio, the story is remarkable, and there's just no way one single player can dominate a football game like LeBron did for basketball. I'm not even sure "overtake" is the right word. They would just both be a part of Cleveland's Mt. Rushmore.

27 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

Agreed. But there's a sort of difference between Brown and LeBron. One is a legend, a large portion of Clevelanders were not around to see him play. Meanwhile, everyone has seen firsthand what LeBron did for this city. They're both a part of Cleveland sports lore, but it's just a different feeling between the two, IMO. But I agree completely with your final statement. Bron is arguably the greatest basketball player of all time. Baker would essentially have to have a career along the lines of Tom Brady to "catch" LBJ in that regard.

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Tyrod needed every rep as possible since he has never played in a haley type offense. Maybe if Tyrod was an established QB for this team the past couple years, pulling him and Letting the back up to take reps is fine but when the starter is still learning. It makes sense to keep him in. Brady’s back up gets reps cause Brady doesn’t need them. He has played long enough that those reps are not going to make him better or worse offense. It’s not like baker wasn’t getting any reps during practices. Just wouldn’t get them with the first team. 

You are good at excusing terrible coaching decisions. 

The excuses aren't good, but you sell them well.

Archived