Everson Griffen Incident

PrplChilPill

12 hours ago, Klomp said:

I really think a significant portion of the D's struggles are due to Griffen's situation.

It would be nice if it were that easy to explain, but I disagree.  I just don't think that's what's causing their problems.  They are doing just about everything badly, from fundamental things like tackling, to missing assignments and getting burned by plays that shouldn't be all that tough to cover for a unit that has been together as long as this one has been. 

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

It would be nice if it were that easy to explain, but I disagree.  I just don't think that's what's causing their problems.  They are doing just about everything badly, from fundamental things like tackling, to missing assignments and getting burned by plays that shouldn't be all that tough to cover for a unit that has been together as long as this one has been. 

Griffen being out certainly doesn't explain having a LB cover a WR over and over, or the DBs letting guys run wide open......so, ya, I'm not buying it either.

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Griffen being out certainly doesn't explain having a LB cover a WR over and over, or the DBs letting guys run wide open......so, ya, I'm not buying it either.

Unless Griffen was the real defensive mastermind and was calling the plays in the huddle while Zimmer just looked like he was to keep his defensive reputation up?

Is Zimmer just talking about the time he saw Hamilton when he's covering his mouth and "calling the plays"?

2jeb80.jpg

Imagined it would be worse. 

Griffen’s clearly not OK there but he’s lucid enough to cooperate with encouragement and have a little discussion (corrected the cop who thought the Bills was a road game). 

The longer they don’t bring back Robison or sign another DE, the more I think the team is expecting him back this year. 

16 hours ago, Krauser said:

Imagined it would be worse. 

Griffen’s clearly not OK there but he’s lucid enough to cooperate with encouragement and have a little discussion (corrected the cop who thought the Bills was a road game). 

The longer they don’t bring back Robison or sign another DE, the more I think the team is expecting him back this year. 

If he DOES come back this season, my best guess is after the bye week.

If he's not back by then, I think he's taking the rest of the season off.

I watched the video so maybe I am part of the problem, but posting that video is in terrible taste by TMZ. Of course, that’s what TMZ seems to pride itself in. 

Really impressed by the police officer in this one. Who knows if it’s only because EV is famous, but he handled it extremely well. 

“Everson is on my mind every day,” Weatherly says. “I try to play up to the way he played. I try to play like him every day.”

In the business of professional sports, the tendency is to measure Griffen’s absence in games missed—three, and counting—for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. But take a step back and consider the human impact; the meaning of a star athlete taking time away to address his mental health, and the potential role it could play in reclassifying mental health as simply part of one’s overall health, breaking down barriers for those in his line of work or others to seek the help they need.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/09/everson-griffen-mental-health-awareness-minnesota-vikings

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, swede700 said:

Again, I am impressed with the way the Vikings, as an organization, has handled this.  They have taken the tact that Griffen the person and his welfare is more important than Griffen the player and his football production.  I wish every work place and corporation in the country would make all the mental health resources available to employees that the Vikings make available to everyone in their organization, including families.

It's also reassuring that the players are in the know (as much as can be relayed) with what is going on with Griffen.  Transparency is a weapon that defeats stigma and ignorance.  Again, I am impressed with Vikings organization.

Archived