Silly Rules in Football

DigInBoys

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Illegal contact, 5 yards, automatic 1st down. I hate that it is an automatic 1st down when the yardage required for a 1st down is greater than 5 yards. 3rd and 6, illegal contact, should change to 3rd and 1.  

I like that idea: five yard penalty and repeat the down. Only problem is, the DB would have less incentive not to maul the receiver on 3rd and long.

15 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Sack numbers would plummet.  I mean taking a guy like Cam down is hard enough as is.  Now give him the ability to just throw the ball to the ground anytime he wants without consequence?

If the end goal is player safety, sack numbers don't matter. Record books are already skewed with the way this game currently looks as opposed to how it used to look.

And you tell me on 3rd and long, defender gets loose and the qb throws it away is a bad thing? The defense did it's job on that down and forced 4th down...

6 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

If the end goal is player safety, sack numbers don't matter. Record books are already skewed with the way this game currently looks as opposed to how it used to look.

And you tell me on 3rd and long, defender gets loose and the qb throws it away is a bad thing? The defense did it's job on that down and forced 4th down...

Except sacks don’t only happen on 3rd down. 

Your reasoning is akin to me saying we should eliminate tackling for player safety. You’re taking it to an extreme.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:10 AM, mse326 said:

My stupid rule addition.

Personal fouls after the play offset fouls during the play. I think both should be enforced. To show why that is terrible see below.

Receiver catches a bomb (lets say 60 yards) and is tackled with a facemask (should add 15 yards). However the receiver gets up and "taunts" the defender incurring a dead ball 15 yard penalty. Penalties offset replay the down at previous spot. HOWEVER, IF there was no defensive foul then the 15 yard dead ball taunting penalty is assessed from the end of the play so still being 45 yards of gain. The defensive foul actually helps the defense retain 45 yards of field possession.

Similar to your situation - I have seen this many times, and drives me fricking nuts because it makes NO SENSE. I have several officiating friends and I will give their explanation shortly.

Team A has the ball. They achieve the line to gain, and rightfully so, are awarded a first down. After the play is OVER (aka dead ball foul), a player from Team A starts talking smack to a player from Team B. Player from Team B retaliates, but the player from Team A lashes out with a punch and has a 15 yard penalty assessed on him.

Common sense would tell you that the offense still has the ball, but it SHOULD be 1st and 25. Wanna know what happens in 90% of the cases? The ball is moved back 15 yards from the end of the play - AND YET IT IS 1ST AND TEN!!!

The reason for that, according to my officiating friends, is that the 10 yard sticks are not set until he gives the "ready for play" signal. What?? I asked him - "Do you realize how much sense that doesn't make?. You have just removed all of the 15 yard penalty by not forcing the offense to go the additional 15 yds for another first down."

He agreed that it sounds silly, but he said that is how the rules are written and enforced. Only if the foul was assessed AFTER the RFP signal would the 1st and 25 come into play.

Seventeen kinds of stupid if you ask me.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Except sacks don’t only happen on 3rd down. 

Your reasoning is akin to me saying we should eliminate tackling for player safety. You’re taking it to an extreme.

What's your fascination with sacks? If a player forces a throwaway, how's that bad? The defense won the down. The offense got to protect their golden goose. Everybody wins.

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Illegal contact, 5 yards, automatic 1st down. I hate that it is an automatic 1st down when the yardage required for a 1st down is greater than 5 yards. 3rd and 6, illegal contact, should change to 3rd and 1.  

1 hour ago, KellChippy said:

I like that idea: five yard penalty and repeat the down. Only problem is, the DB would have less incentive not to maul the receiver on 3rd and long.

DB grabs enough times it will eventually lead to a 1st down :D

10 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

What's your fascination with sacks? If a player forces a throwaway, how's that bad? The defense won the down. The offense got to protect their golden goose. Everybody wins.

Because there is a huge different in sacking a QB for a 5 yard loss vs a throwaway for no yards lost.  Why would we want to get rid of a game changing staple play?

24 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

An incomplete pass is not nearly as much of a win for the defense as a sack.

You're also not really protecting anyone. What would wind up happening because of that rule change, is as a QB is getting hit, he's just going to spike the ball. So the QB still gets hit, but the defense doesn't get those yards anymore against the offense. So really, everyone loses.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:12 AM, MightyRx said:

They should get rid of intentional grounding. If a QB feels threatened, he can end the play and avoid the hit. That would take care of many things. Forcing an incompletion is a win for the defense so I don't see the negative here...

Intentional grounding is hardly ever called as is.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, MightyRx said:

Sacks only happen on 3rd down?

Archived