Silly Rules in Football

DigInBoys

9 hours ago, I <3 Faulk said:

Their safety ran out of the endzone.  Was too hyped. Couldn't wait to go showboat in front of the Rams sideline

Then it was the safety who was silly and not the rule.  Too many players have all their talent from the neck down.

3 minutes ago, tom cody said:

I might be wrong here but if a team gets a 2 pt safety do they get the ball back  or does the team that didn't get the safety get the ball back? If so it should be the former. 

If a team gets a safety, they get the ball back. 

If a team gives up a safety, they have to free kick it to the opponent.

20 hours ago, N4L said:

Did anyone else hear mike perrera say tonight that on fake punts you can't have pass interference penalties?? That can't be true ..

Yeah I remember in 2011 the Raiders did it on their Thursday night game and I was pissed. 

But then I thought about it and it does make sense. 

12 hours ago, Malfatron said:

i cant believe the forceout rule was ever a thing

that was the dumbest rule

I agree.  A defender pushing a receiver out of bounds while in the air so they can't get their feet down should absolutely be allowed (as it is now) and is just a part of playing good defense.

20 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Yeah I remember in 2011 the Raiders did it on their Thursday night game and I was pissed. 

But then I thought about it and it does make sense. 

I agree with you.  Fake punts are dependent upon deception and the return teams have every right to mug the gunners on a punt without having to worry about them actually being receivers.  The point is to reward defenses for coming up with 3rd down stops and forcing a punt in the first place, but if you are going to call PI on essentially hail mary's thrown by the punter then everybody would just fake punt all the time.

The maintaining the ball to the ground when out of bounds.  Last week,. AJ Green caught a ball, took four steps in bounds, got tackled out of bounds and bobbled the ball while falling.  Was ruled imcomplete.  If he had been in bounds, they would say that he fumbled and recovered it himself (even tho in this particular case, the ball never touched the ground)

The dumbest rule by far is the fumble bouncing out the endzone is a turnover and the ball magically goes to the 20. Beyond the obvious problems of giving an un-earned turnover, not being logical, and discouraging exciting dive for the end zone plays.. the worst thing about it is that it's so easy to make up a different rule for that. Put the ball back where it was fumbled, or if you really want to punish the player, put the ball at the 20, but don't give a turnover. Who would complain about that? How would that not be an improvement?

I surprised each offseason that they fail to change this rule. Are they just waiting for it to cost someone a big enough (i.e. playoff) game?

On 9/28/2018 at 9:23 AM, cddolphin said:

1 point BUT on the following kickoff you move backwards 5 yards.

Make it a rule, depending on wear you kick off on kick offs, determines the points. Say you kick off from the 35 and split the uprights 1pt, 30 would be 2 pts and 3pts if from the 25

Make for some cool strategy. Teams maybe carry a kicker who just has a freaking leg and they try for the 2pt/3pt kickoff every once and awhile. Its also a risk because if its a bad kick, the return team has a lot of room to work with 

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

The maintaining the ball to the ground when out of bounds.  Last week,. AJ Green caught a ball, took four steps in bounds, got tackled out of bounds and bobbled the ball while falling.  Was ruled imcomplete.  If he had been in bounds, they would say that he fumbled and recovered it himself (even tho in this particular case, the ball never touched the ground)

I would have to see the play. It all depends on if he had control of the ball the whole time with those 4 steps.

Archived