Silly Rules in Football

DigInBoys

A sequence in the Rams-Chargers game reminded me of all the contradictory rules in football and how they need to be addressed.

Chargers intercept in the end zone.

They are in a worse position than if they just stopped the offense on downs because now they are starting offensively in their own endzone.

No room to operate, 3 and out.

Punter gets blocked in the end zone, Rams recover for a TD.

I mean...instead of getting rewarded for the interception they got screwed.

4 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

They are in a worse position than if they just stopped the offense on downs because now they are starting offensively in their own endzone.

what? they made them take a snap in their own endzone?

or did they int it at the 1?

8 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

A sequence in the Rams-Chargers game reminded me of all the contradictory rules in football and how they need to be addressed.

No room to operate, 3 and out.

Punter gets blocked in the end zone, Rams recover for a TD.

I mean...instead of getting rewarded for the interception they got screwed.

If you intercept in the endzone and get tackled in the endzone, it goes out to the 20.

If you run it out to the 1, you get it that the 1 but that's your own fault. If you intecept it at the 1, you get it at the 1.

Of course, even getting it at the 1 is better than the almost guarenteed scenario you gave up 3 points to a field goal...

If they intercepted the pass in the end zone, ran it out and got tackled at the one, their fault. 

If it was 4th down and they intercepted a pass at the one rather than just batting it down and taking the ball at the LOS,  their fault. It's situational awareness. Plenty of guys have only at the one rather than scoring the touchdown

My stupid rule addition.

Personal fouls after the play offset fouls during the play. I think both should be enforced. To show why that is terrible see below.

Receiver catches a bomb (lets say 60 yards) and is tackled with a facemask (should add 15 yards). However the receiver gets up and "taunts" the defender incurring a dead ball 15 yard penalty. Penalties offset replay the down at previous spot. HOWEVER, IF there was no defensive foul then the 15 yard dead ball taunting penalty is assessed from the end of the play so still being 45 yards of gain. The defensive foul actually helps the defense retain 45 yards of field possession.

42 minutes ago, mse326 said:

My stupid rule addition.

Personal fouls after the play offset fouls during the play. I think both should be enforced. To show why that is terrible see below.

Receiver catches a bomb (lets say 60 yards) and is tackled with a facemask (should add 15 yards). However the receiver gets up and "taunts" the defender incurring a dead ball 15 yard penalty. Penalties offset replay the down at previous spot. HOWEVER, IF there was no defensive foul then the 15 yard dead ball taunting penalty is assessed from the end of the play so still being 45 yards of gain. The defensive foul actually helps the defense retain 45 yards of field possession.

So if you just got beat for 35 yard gain and the WR taunts or theres a late block by a lineman that garners a penalty, take that chance to go shove an opponent in front of a ref to get that yardage back?

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

So if you just got beat for 35 yard gain and the WR taunts or theres a late block by a lineman that garners a penalty, take that chance to go shove an opponent in front of a ref to get that yardage back?

If both fouls are dead ball then they offset with the ball placed where it was at the end of the play. If the offense's is dead ball then the defense's needs to be live ball.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Did anyone else hear mike perrera say tonight that on fake punts you can't have pass interference penalties?? That can't be true ..

From the rule book:

"Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive pass interference is not to be called for action on the end man on the line of scrimmage, or an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the line. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called and result in a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass interference rules still apply.'

In essence, because there is so much handfighting and shoving with gunners and attempts to disrupt the route of the gunner on his path to the returner, that if this didn't exist, you'd be able to just toss the ball in the direction of a gunner and pick up a penalty 95% of the time. But this is why fake punt passes are usually designed to be thrown to someone in the backfield in a standard position.

Archived