Silly Rules in Football

DigInBoys

On 9/28/2018 at 12:10 AM, mse326 said:

My stupid rule addition.

Personal fouls after the play offset fouls during the play. I think both should be enforced. To show why that is terrible see below.

Receiver catches a bomb (lets say 60 yards) and is tackled with a facemask (should add 15 yards). However the receiver gets up and "taunts" the defender incurring a dead ball 15 yard penalty. Penalties offset replay the down at previous spot. HOWEVER, IF there was no defensive foul then the 15 yard dead ball taunting penalty is assessed from the end of the play so still being 45 yards of gain. The defensive foul actually helps the defense retain 45 yards of field possession.

That's not right. A foul that occurred during a play cant not be canceled out by a dead ball foul that took place after the play was over

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

That's not right. A foul that occurred during a play cant not be canceled out by a dead ball foul that took place after the play was over

FOUL AND DEAD BALL FOUL Article 9 If there has been a foul by either team during a down and there is a dead ball foul by the other team in the action immediately after the end of the down, it is a double foul, and all rules for enforcement of double fouls apply (see 14-3-1).

Section 3 Fouls by Both Teams DOUBLE FOUL WITHOUT CHANGE OF POSSESSION Article 1 If there is a double foul (3-11-2-c) without a change of possession, the penalties are offset and the down is replayed at the previous spot. If it was a scrimmage down, the number of the next down and the necessary line is the same as for the down for which the new one is substituted.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/17_Rule14_Penalty_Enforcement.pdf

17 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Just watching a late week replay of SNF (Bal @ Pit). The down by contact rule enforced on the Jefferson 1st Qrt strip & return for a TD is a joke.

It definitely needs to changed. No way should the legs / feet count as  initiating contact whether deliberate or accidental. 

absolutely it should. Too much grey area otherwise. If you get touched and you are down or in the process of going down, you are down. Where do you draw the line? 

15 hours ago, N4L said:

absolutely it should. Too much grey area otherwise. If you get touched and you are down or in the process of going down, you are down. Where do you draw the line? 

Where's the grey area? 

Jefferson was called down because his arm landed on McDonald's leg. Surely, Vance should actually have to make an effort to initiate contact. Or, at least - there should be a rule stating that only contact via the upper body counts.

Vance had absolutely no idea where the ball was during that play. Why should he be ruled down for his arm grazing McDonald's lower leg. 

24 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Where's the grey area? 

Jefferson was called down because his arm landed on McDonald's leg. Surely, Vance should actually have to make an effort to initiate contact. Or, at least - there should be a rule stating that only contact via the upper body counts.

Vance had absolutely no idea where the ball was during that play. Why should he be ruled down for his arm grazing McDonald's lower leg. 

This is the gray area.

Was he touched? [yes/no] is a far more objective criteria.

1 minute ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Legs shouldn't count In the same way tripping isn't permitted.   

What about this.  You are running with the ball, I go to tackle you.  I leave my feet in an attempt to catch you.  You try to juke, but slip.  I go over you, with the only part of my body touching you is my legs (above you, you are below my legs on the ground).  Can you get up and keep running based on the rule revision you are proposing?

2 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

What about this.  You are running with the ball, I go to tackle you.  I leave my feet in an attempt to catch you.  You try to juke, but slip.  I go over you, with the only part of my body touching you is my legs (above you, you are below my legs on the ground).  Can you get up and keep running based on the rule revision you are proposing?

Since hypothetically you actually made an attempt to tackle, unlike Vance who had no idea, I'd have no problem with the tackle being called. All I'm saying is the rule needs to be amended, because it's BS that the contact Jefferson made with Vance's leg constituted the play to be called dead.  

53 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Since hypothetically you actually made an attempt to tackle, unlike Vance who had no idea, I'd have no problem with the tackle being called. All I'm saying is the rule needs to be amended, because it's BS that the contact Jefferson made with Vance's leg constituted the play to be called dead.  

Now you are re-introducing gray area/judgement with "made an attempt to tackle."  

I don't hate your idea, I just believe that you need to acknowledge that you're introducing another area of subjectivity.

On 9/30/2018 at 11:12 AM, MightyRx said:

They should get rid of intentional grounding. If a QB feels threatened, he can end the play and avoid the hit. That would take care of many things. Forcing an incompletion is a win for the defense so I don't see the negative here...

Sack numbers would plummet.  I mean taking a guy like Cam down is hard enough as is.  Now give him the ability to just throw the ball to the ground anytime he wants without consequence?

Archived