Seahawks want 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas; Update: Thomas out for the year with broken leg

DigInBoys

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

It has nothing to do with not having a sense of humor. Or taking everything literally. Your "joke" was a complete non-sequitur. So I just figured you must be an idiot. I mean, I dont know you. But I do know some people ARE idiots. And I know you SOUNDED like an idiot. So I explained things like I would to an idiot. Politely and slowly. If you aren't an idiot, great! But you sounded like one. Don't blame me for that. Over the internet I can only take you at your word until I know you better. <shrug>

I agree he didn't have much leverage. And I have no idea why he thought he was going to get much in the way of an extension given his age, injury history (the years of hard hits seem to finally be taking their toll),  and the recent devaluation of the position. And I never suggested anyone held a gun to his head. I think people are just saying he should have been smarter and held out.

As far as paydays go, if he gets a multi year contract worth more than 5 million a year next year I will be shocked.  

Lol. You're right dude. I totally just didn't follow what he meant. Thank you for helping me understand what he was saying. Sarcasm/mocking was the complete wrong way to go with my reply to him?? 

1 hour ago, Piquel said:

If the owners thought players need to just shut up and not holdout / miss practice, maybe they should've put that into the CBA instead of the current system that sets fines / punishments for such things.  

They're paying and employing. They make the rules. It's not hard. Earl and Le'Veon can go find a different profession if they feel otherwise. And now Le'Veon wants to report. Goes to show how much substance they had behind their cause. Kind of hypocritical dont you think? Look, I understand there are certain situations where players definitely deserve to be paid. Thomas and Bell are hardly examples of that merit...

10 minutes ago, rthom348 said:

Lol. You're right dude. I totally just didn't follow what he meant. Thank you for helping me understand what he was saying. Sarcasm/mocking was the complete wrong way to go with my reply to him?? 

Is this where you start working to get the last word in? It's all yours. Make it sparkle. 

8 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

They're paying and employing. They make the rules. It's not hard. Earl and Le'Veon can go find a different profession if they feel otherwise. And now Le'Veon wants to report. Goes to show how much substance they had behind their cause. Kind of hypocritical dont you think? Look, I understand there are certain situations where players definitely deserve to be paid. Thomas and Bell are hardly examples of that merit...

Who is paying??? Team CEO, Network CEO, Adviterisers, Consumers,  Fans???

5 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

They don't really make the rules though. Not by themselves. They must negotiate with the players union. And together they hammer out the rules. So if the owners don't want players to have the ability to hold out for a contract renegotiation they can insist on it in the CBA. All they have to do is give concessions elsewhere. Likely in the form of a minimum amount of guaranteed money in those contracts. At least that would be my guess anyway.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

If you're so confident they're out there, name them.  Because most of the teams that believe they're legitimate playoff contenders didn't get into the position they're at trading away 2nd round pick for aging players at non-premium (yes, that includes safety) positions.

According to reports, the Cowboys offered a second rounder.  There is also the article linked by OP that the Chiefs were interested and the thought was also a second rounder.  The way I'm looking at it, if those teams were interested in him right now for that price, then why wouldn't they (or other teams) be interested in him a few months from now for roughly the same price?  It's not like his injury is horrible; meaning he can def come back 100% without much issue.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Monday's edition of The Aftermath that the Kansas City Chiefs were poised to strike a deal with Seattle to bring Thomas to the AFC West. "Here is how it went going into Sunday: From what I am told, the Seahawks wanted two second-round picks, actually lowered their price to one second-round pick," Rapoport said. "The Kansas City Chiefs were then in the process of freeing up money, creating salary cap space to make room for Thomas' $8.5 million salary. This is something that likely would have happened, and Earl Thomas would have been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. He just needed more time."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000969088/article/earl-thomas-injury-ruins-potential-trade-to-chiefs

3 hours ago, showtime said:

According to reports, the Cowboys offered a second rounder.  There is also the article linked by OP that the Chiefs were interested and the thought was also a second rounder.  The way I'm looking at it, if those teams were interested in him right now for that price, then why wouldn't they (or other teams) be interested in him a few months from now for roughly the same price?  It's not like his injury is horrible; meaning he can def come back 100% without much issue.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Monday's edition of The Aftermath that the Kansas City Chiefs were poised to strike a deal with Seattle to bring Thomas to the AFC West. "Here is how it went going into Sunday: From what I am told, the Seahawks wanted two second-round picks, actually lowered their price to one second-round pick," Rapoport said. "The Kansas City Chiefs were then in the process of freeing up money, creating salary cap space to make room for Thomas' $8.5 million salary. This is something that likely would have happened, and Earl Thomas would have been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. He just needed more time."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000969088/article/earl-thomas-injury-ruins-potential-trade-to-chiefs

Because they can get him for free if they wait?   And before you say they'd franchise tag him, I think we know what Thomas would do in that instance...hello Le'veon Bell V2.   

So no, not really seeing this.  They had a window.  It just closed.   They gambled that they could do better than DAL's 2nd..and lost.  Now they're hopefully getting a 2020 end-of-3rd comp pick.   At best.    It was a calculated risk, they rolled snake eyes.  It happens.

16 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Outside of the military... is this how workplaces operate? Not mine.

Um, teachers say 'hi'! As soon as we start speaking our mind, we're asked how badly we'd like to keep our job....

BUT! I get that because we should teach students HOW to think, not WHAT to think. They should decide the WHAT on their own...

9 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Um, teachers say 'hi'! As soon as we start speaking our mind, we're asked how badly we'd like to keep our job....

I'd recommend finding a line of work where you're not a mouthpiece for government propaganda, in that case.

I should've been more precise with my language... among free market jobs, is that how workplaces operate? Not mine.

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

So no, not really seeing this.  They had a window.  It just closed.   They gambled that they could do better than DAL's 2nd..and lost.  Now they're hopefully getting a 2020 end-of-3rd comp pick.   At best.    It was a calculated risk, they rolled snake eyes.  It happens.

I suppose there's a possibility out there that a team would be willing to kick their 3rd round pick to the Seahawks with the condition they can negotiate a long-term deal.  Not a great chance, but I still think there remains a slim chance.  As for the tag and trade option, putting aside the fact that it's a MAJOR black eye towards your franchise in terms of attracting FA, the attraction of Earl Thomas making almost $12M coming off another lower body injury is going to be significantly less appealing than it was last offseason.  While teams were willing to give up a 2nd round pick during the '18 draft, it seems unlikely that they're going to get the same value a year later when Earl Thomas is a year older, getting paid even more with no long-term deal in place, and coming off another significant lower body injury.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I suppose there's a possibility out there that a team would be willing to kick their 3rd round pick to the Seahawks with the condition they can negotiate a long-term deal.  Not a great chance, but I still think there remains a slim chance.  As for the tag and trade option, putting aside the fact that it's a MAJOR black eye towards your franchise in terms of attracting FA, the attraction of Earl Thomas making almost $12M coming off another lower body injury is going to be significantly less appealing than it was last offseason.  While teams were willing to give up a 2nd round pick during the '18 draft, it seems unlikely that they're going to get the same value a year later when Earl Thomas is a year older, getting paid even more with no long-term deal in place, and coming off another significant lower body injury.

I suppose anything is possible, but only a GM on a team that's so bad it feels it can't get Thomas pays up when he can only be had with $ in FA.  But if a team is so bad it feels it can't attract Thomas,  why would they be chasing a 30 year old Thomas then?

SEA gambled that the market would only go up in-season as teams desperate for win-now upgrades would pay up.   I don't think it was a smart risk knowing DAL was offering a 2nd, but it was a calculated risk.   As the CA saying goes....a smart pig gets fat, greedy pigs get slaughtered.   I get why it happened, but it's hard to see where SEA does better than what DAL offered.   Frankly, even a 3rd would be a small W after this turn of events.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I suppose anything is possible, but only a GM on a team that's so bad it feels it can't get Thomas pays up when he can only be had with $ in FA.  But if a team is so bad it feels it can't attract Thomas,  why would they be chasing a 30 year old Thomas then?

SEA gambled that the market would only go up in-season as teams desperate for win-now upgrades would pay up.   I don't think it was a smart risk knowing DAL was offering a 2nd, but it was a calculated risk.   As the CA saying goes....a smart pig gets fat, greedy pigs get slaughtered.   I get why it happened, but it's hard to see where SEA does better than what DAL offered.   Frankly, even a 3rd would be a small W after this turn of events.

Because they'd be competing with the other 28 teams for his services.  If a team traded for Earl Thomas, and they had the franchise tag in their back pocket it might convince a team to pony up a pick now so they can exclusively negotiate through the end of the season, and use the franchise tag as last resort.  Obviously, Earl Thomas won't be happy about getting tagged, but I'd imagine he'd be less of a distraction if they were actually negotiating a long-term deal.

Archived