2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Nothing wrong with using WAR as a guide. And when was he ever considered better than Honus Wagner?

You can find plenty of anecdotes and quotes about Maranville as a fielder (and technically he had better defensive "stats" than Wagner). I'm not really concerned with the WAR of players who were voted into the HOF 80 year ago tbh.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

You can find plenty of anecdotes and quotes about Maranville as a fielder (and technically he had better defensive "stats" than Wagner). I'm not really concerned with the WAR of players who were voted into the HOF 80 year ago tbh.

Oh best defensive short stop. I thought you meant just short stop in general since, you know, that is what you typed.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the last part. WAR is scaled to era. If they had low WAR it means they weren't among the best of their era. If you are going to say whether they do or don't belong in the hall seems like a good place to start.

11 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Oh best defensive short stop. I thought you meant just short stop in general since, you know, that is what you typed.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the last part. WAR is scaled to era. If they had low WAR it means they weren't among the best of their era. If you are going to say whether they do or don't belong in the hall seems like a good place to start.

I already knew what your response would be, I just think it's silly to judge the HOF for how they evaluated players such as Maranville in 1954.

BTW I see it all the time when people say "best <position>" they're referring to their defense. It's fair to be confused, but no sane person will argue that he was a better player than Honus Wagner lol

30 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The **** did my thread get deleted

You started a thread saying Machado signed with the Yankees without an actual source. 

Even if it ends up being true, don't start a thread until an agreement is reached. 

7 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Head scratcher for him. They aren't winning anything but they've got an established culture for Japanese players and a huge expat community so I suppose from a life decision it's not a bad call.

well what is more important for a player leaving japan to come to MLB. Playing in MLB or winning a world series? 

Archived