2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

4 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

What I don't understand is why teams don't balance the big deals.  Why is it $30 mil/year for 10 years?  Why not...50/50/45/45/40/35/30/25/20/10?  Pay them more when they're playing better, pay them less later on when they won't be producing at the same level.  /shrug

Cause they've got to pay....how many? How many guys are on a baseball roster? 26? Something like that.
You've got to pay them all within (or close to at least....) the salary cap - or you'll be setting %'s so high the team will be paying astronomical luxury tax penalties.

Its bad business.

Listen - as I said up above - the Tampa Bay Rays have absolutely nothing going for them. No market. No fan base. No cable contract. No stadium putting money in their pocket. Nothing.

YET in the AL East - where the top two teams won over 100 games - the Rays came in third with 90 wins.
Overall - in the entire league - those 90 wins put them sixth - of all teams.
I'm definitely not a Rays fan - but they're a business model to be learned from.

Obviously they didnt get those 90 wins by overpaying for people. They cant. Hell - outside a couple of front line starters - or maybe just one - they dont even have a full, competitive pitching staff. They throw relievers out there. They did it with sharp talent evaluations and coaching. On tight, tight margins.

So - you dont have to buy everybody to win - and I believe the more you do - the less "sharp" your organization becomes.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Cause they've got to pay....how many? How many guys are on a baseball roster? 26? Something like that.
You've got to pay them all within (or close to at least....) the salary cap - or you'll be setting %'s so high the team will be paying astronomical luxury tax penalties.

Its bad business.

Listen - as I said up above - the Tampa Bay Rays have absolutely nothing going for them. No market. No fan base. No cable contract. No stadium putting money in their pocket. Nothing.

YET in the AL East - where the top two teams won over 100 games - the Rays came in third with 90 wins.
Overall - in the entire league - those 90 wins put them sixth - of all teams.
I'm definitely not a Rays fan - but they're a business model to be learned from.

Obviously they didnt get those 90 wins by overpaying for people. They cant. Hell - outside a couple of front line starters - or maybe just one - they dont even have a full, competitive pitching staff. They throw relievers out there. They did it with sharp talent evaluations and coaching. On tight, tight margins.

So - you dont have to buy everybody to win - and I believe the more you do - the less "sharp" your organization becomes.

A) Tampa hasn’t won anything. 

B.) The Yankees haven’t “bought” anyone in how long? They took on Stanton’s contract so i guess you can count that? Most on here are saying to sign Machado while everyone else is on Rookie deals for a few more years. I don’t get what you are saying? We aren’t Tampa Bay, we don’t get off feeling good about 90 win seasons.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

A) Tampa hasn’t won anything. 

B.) The Yankees haven’t “bought” anyone in how long? They took on Stanton’s contract so i guess you can count that? Most on here are saying to sign Machado while everyone else is on Rookie deals for a few more years. I don’t get what you are saying? We aren’t Tampa Bay, we don’t get off feeling good about 90 win seasons.

You're right. You didnt get what I was saying. 

The Nationals upping their offer to Bryce Harper reminds me of the Orioles negotiating against themselves for Chris Davis.  Boras probably leaked the December 22nd meeting with Ted Lerner to hopefully scare up some more business, and the Nationals all of a sudden increased their offer.  

The players need to get paid.  Or there's going to be a strike.  That's bad business.  Paying players when you make more than enough money to pay them isn't bad business.  Losing is bad business.  Winning titles is good business.  The Yankees wouldn't be worth what they're worth if they didn't have all the titles they have.  

10 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

The players need to get paid.  Or there's going to be a strike.  That's bad business.  Paying players when you make more than enough money to pay them isn't bad business.  Losing is bad business.  Winning titles is good business.  The Yankees wouldn't be worth what they're worth if they didn't have all the titles they have.  

And then the league wonders why it has a marketing problem.

NBA signs it's marquee guys within a week and spends the rest of the off-season doing marketing. Hot Stove being dead is just bad for everybody involved. Nobody makes more money.

7 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

You’re saying the Yankees should build their team like the Rays, when in all actuality they shouldn’t...at all.

No. I'm not suggesting any such thing.

7 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

And the players will get paid. Thats not a concern in any way. A strike isnt going to happen. MLB is *far from* suffering from labor strife.

Archived