Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

I didn't know both House and Giles were cut. Giles arguably should be in the HOF in my mind since he was one of the best tight ends of his era who played on a terrible team. I guess the cherry on top of this era of Bucs football is trading away Steve Young, which as a 49ers fan I'm eternally grateful for.

Former Lions linebacker will be inducted into the Lions Ring of Honor this Sunday. Really cool how Chris found out as he was doing a promo for the team, and didn't know he was reading about himself. One of the best linebackers of his era for sure. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

On 10/22/2021 at 3:11 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I have to say that is one of the most unnecessary videos I have ever seen. He wobbles all over the place minute after minute before briefly finally arriving at the correct summary: Freddie Solomon was the vastly superior player. That's why you play him, regardless of anything from last week or anything you momentarily thought or said. If the entire league operated on that perspective instead of absurd overreaction to yesterday, every team would be better off. 

He actually made the coach look good in the one example he decided to spotlight, despite the mocking tone throughout, and anything else he could have chosen.

Granted, it helps when you actually remember this stuff instead of desperate backfitting to before your time. Backfitting never threatens to capture everything. That's why I've never been stupid enough to think I could evaluate football or anything else from before I was old enough to know the variables in real time. As a Dolphins fan in fall 1978 I was still seething at the trade of Solomon for Delvin Williams, not to mention getting screwed on the draft pick additions. It was clearly a case of the superior player valued lower in the trade. Solomon was also younger than Williams and considerably younger when you consider the shelf life of the two positions.

I distinctly remember all of the drops by Solomon against the Cardinals. It received who cares treatment across the league. Notice the little blurbs in the paper he desperately summons. This was hardly headline material. Solomon's market value or long term assessments hadn't suffered at all. When a guy is that fast and creates such dependable separation you've got to be a fool not to recognize how it will pan out long term.

Edited by Awsi Dooger

• 2 weeks later...

1997 Week 16 Denver Broncos (11-3) at San Francisco 49ers (12-2)

Monday Dec 15, 1997
Start Time: 9:00pm
Stadium: 3Com Park
Attendance: 68,461

Big time all star brawl between the 49ers and Broncos on MNF. Upfront this is one of my favorite 49ers wins with Jerry Rice coming back less than 4 months after his ACL injury, Joe Montana's number being retired, and the squad looking to clinch the number one spot in the NFC. Two good teams scraping it out at Candlestick. Good memories if you're a 49ers fan. If you were a Broncos fan, well obviously it all worked out in the end. Even with Jerry Rice's injury, it's still a bitter pill to swallow to this day knowing that that squad couldn't make it to Super Bowl 32. Mariucci probably had his best team in his first year as head coach.

On 11/4/2021 at 12:21 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Here's what's interesting about Avellini: In 1979, the Bears (according to scout Bill Tobin) were planning on taking Joe Montana in Round 3. However, right before they were going to put the pick in, Jim Finks decided to take a RB (Willie McClendon) to back up Payton. His reasoning was that they had Avellini (lol), Phipps (lol), and Vince Evans (the future), and they didn't need Montana.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53
  • Like 1

2013 Week 6 Green Bay Packers (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-2)

Sunday Oct 13, 2013
Start Time: 1:02pm
Stadium: M&T Bank Stadium
Attendance: 71,319
Time of Game: 3:07

Packers take on the defending Super Bowl champion Ravens in Baltimore. This game was defensive-oriented, but still some big scoring plays involved. Better than the matchup four years previously on MNF which was just riddled with penalties. John Harbaugh was 10-0 heading into this game against NFC teams when he had the homefield advantage.