Are the playoffs really possible?

Pool

Pinch me please because I can't believe what I'm about to type. Taking a look at the rest of the Bears schedule I really think they can do it so long as Trubisky continues to improve and we don't get crushed by injuries. 

Dolphins - Win

Pats - Loss

Jets - Win

Bills - Win

Lions - Win

Vikings- Win

Lions - Loss

Giants- Win

Rams - Loss

Packers - Win

49'ers - Win

Vikings - Loss

That puts us at 11-5. My initial thoughts are homer alert homer alert homer alert, but is it really that unrealistic? I have us splitting our division games (winning the home games and losing the away games). Losing all our games to the toughest opponents (NE, STL) and winning all our games against the cupcakes (NYG, 49'ers,Bills,NYJ,MIA). Obviously a lot can and will happen like losing to a team we should beat or beating a team we should lose to but is it crazy to be really thinking playoffs? I'd have honestly laughed in your face if you had told me you'd thought the Bears were a fringe playoff team at the start of the year and honestly I think 10-6 is our floor and our ceiling is honestly a game or two higher. Would love to hear other opinions, esp about the wildcard slots since I really didn't put much thought into them.

They are absolutely possible if we remain healthy. Nagy said he scaled back the offense, finally realizing throwing the same stuff at Alex Smith in his 5th year in the system was way too much for Mitchell in his 1st year. To me that is a clear upswing in the potential of the offense.

That being said the only game that, if we are both fully healthy, that I really have doubts of us winning is the Rams game. NE isn't playing well yet (though they seem to always be in their groove and kicking *** by week 10), MIN is uber talented but their defense has seemed really in a funk, GB will live and die by Rodgers but we have the passrush really thriving, etc. A ton will change but as it stands right now if the offense is a top 15 offense consistently we can hang with any team in the league.

I think from a talent perspective no question we can make the playoffs. The X factors are injuries and Mitch progressing. I think the biggest key outside of that is Nagy's coaching. I recall Fox's first year beating GB in Lambeau and thinking we had a shot and then we proceeded to lose 2 in a row. If Nagy can motivate this team and have them not show up sloppy or unprepared we have a shot. 

If we show up at Miami looking like poop I will be really disappointed in Nagy's coaching. 

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

At this point in the season it’s way to early to tell, it needs to play out for a few more weeks. 

Agree, however while I assumed 8-8 or 9-7 before the year, I think we all underestimated how downright nasty this defense was going to be. With just steady progression from the offense, continued great play from the defense & health, they should be playing January.

At this point, I now expect them to win 10 games because of some occasional bad stretches from the offense. Whether 10-6 gets them into the playoffs (it should) remains to be seen.

I'm a tad befuddled, honestly. I had them tagged as a 7 to 9 win team before they added Mack. Also never expected a Trubisky explosion in week 4. They could easily be a 10 to 11 win team now--with an honest to goodness chance it's even higher than that. 

12 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm a tad befuddled, honestly. I had them tagged as a 7 to 9 win team before they added Mack. Also never expected a Trubisky explosion in week 4. They could easily be a 10 to 11 win team now--with an honest to goodness chance it's even higher than that. 

Still think maybe 10 wins. I defended Trubisky when he struggled the first 3 weeks but wont go to far in the other direction after he destroyed one of the worst pass defenses in football. Lets see how he develops over the next few seasons. As i never jumped on the mahomes bandwagon after shredding poor defenses. The Bears need to prove they can win divisional games before we talk playoffs.

Archived