Top 5 Receiving Backs in the NFL

AlNFL19

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not talking about DBs. I'm talking about CBs. Can you post videos showing him burning CBs? As I said, I don't get to watch a ton of Saints games.

If we are being honest I’m not too tech savvy and have no idea how to post a video, and even if I did idk if I could find one but I’ll try, and if I could change my order I think I might put mcaffrey at 1

1 hour ago, GamedayGuru said:

If we are being honest I’m not too tech savvy and have no idea how to post a video, and even if I did idk if I could find one but I’ll try, and if I could change my order I think I might put mcaffrey at 1

The easiest way to do it is to just google any plays you remember and see if there's a video on NFL.com or Youtube. From there, just copy the URL and paste it in here. You may not remember the plays off the top of your head. That's fine. I'm open to having my mind changed, but I just have to see it first. Like I said, in the games I watched, he was usually using his quickness to beat LBs and safeties.

16 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

He has matched up on the outside at times with CB's such as Cordrea Tankersley last year, and did have a completion against him on short route. I don't recall many big plays lined up against a CB, but I don't think there is much of a sample size of these types of plays yet. There have been other times (more frequently) where he has lined up out wide and gets matched up against a Safety. One of the best instances I can recall of Kamara lined up outside for a big play was against a Safety he was matched against the Patriots Patrick Chung last year, and beat him deep for 38 yard catch. He also beat Keanu Neal on a wheel route from the slot for 25 yards. Those 2 plays stick out for me with Kamara being covered by a DB lined up on the outside.

james white is good but doesnt belong on these lists imo. has the GOAT throwing the ball, and dion lewis had similar production before he left. in fact, white was second fiddle to dion.

mcdaniels schemes the RBs against linebackers very well.

He doesn't get nearly as many opportunities as these other guys, but Duke Johnson is a BEAST out of the backfield. He's one of the best and most diverse route runners I've seen at the RB position in some time. I don't know where I'd rank him, but if he were on the Patriots, he'd be in the discussion for the #1 receiving back.

56 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He doesn't get nearly as many opportunities as these other guys, but Duke Johnson is a BEAST out of the backfield. He's one of the best and most diverse route runners I've seen at the RB position in some time. I don't know where I'd rank him, but if he were on the Patriots, he'd be in the discussion for the #1 receiving back.

Duke is very underrated. I meant to bring him up earlier. He's in that second tier for me with Kamara, Gurley, Bell, etc.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im going to go with the only RB in the NFL to have 3 straight seasons with 50+ receptions that everybody forgets exists.

Duke Johnson.

He's not the only RB with 3 straight seasons with 50+ receptions though...

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

He's not the only RB with 3 straight seasons with 50+ receptions though...

Currently, for the past 3 years? Yes he is. Not only is Duke the only RB in the past 3 years with 50+ receptions each season but he also is the only RB since Herschel Walker  to have 500+ receiving yards in his first 3 seasons. He is easily in the top 5, if not the best pass catching RB in the NFL.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Duke-Johnson-matches-record-set-by-Herschel-Walker-30-years-ago-112430425/

"What is more impressive is that Johnson accomplished a feat that has not been done in the NFL in three decades. He is the first NFL running back to record 500 receiving yards in each of his first three seasons. The last back to do so was Herschel Walker from 1986-88. Johnson is the only NFL running back with at least 50 catches in each of the past three seasons."

33 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Currently, for the past 3 years? Yes he is. Not only is Duke the only RB in the past 3 years with 50+ receptions each season but he also is the only RB since Herschel Walker  to have 500+ receiving yards in his first 3 seasons. He is easily in the top 5, if not the best pass catching RB in the NFL.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Duke-Johnson-matches-record-set-by-Herschel-Walker-30-years-ago-112430425/

"What is more impressive is that Johnson accomplished a feat that has not been done in the NFL in three decades. He is the first NFL running back to record 500 receiving yards in each of his first three seasons. The last back to do so was Herschel Walker from 1986-88. Johnson is the only NFL running back with at least 50 catches in each of the past three seasons."

1. No, he isn't:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiddTh00.htm

2. Easily top 5? Best pass-catching HB in the NFL? You need to chill.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

1. No, he isn't:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiddTh00.htm

2. Easily top 5? Best pass-catching HB in the NFL? You need to chill.

1) Reference the article where I got my info.

2) If you were to watch multiple Browns games for the past 3 years, which I can say with 100% certainty that you havent, what makes you say that Duke Johnson is not a better pass catcher than Alvin Kamara or Theo Riddick or Todd Gurley? Give me a reason why he isnt based on what you personally know by all of the Browns games you havent watched.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

1) Reference the article.

2) If you were to watch multiple Browns games for the past 3 years, which I can say with 100% certainty that you havent, what makes you say that Duke Johnson is not a better pass catcher than Alvin Kamara or Theo Riddick or Todd Gurley? Give me a reason why he isnt based on what you personally know by all of the Browns games you havent watched.

1) I don't need to reference the article. I already provided a link that proves you wrong. Are you going to argue with Theo Riddick's stats?

2. I've seen multiple Browns games. I know of Duke Johnson. You're nuts if you think he's the best pass-catching HB in the NFL. He's arguably in the top 5. You're nuts if you think he's easily in the top 5. Why isn't Duke Johnson easily better than Gurley, Kamara, and Bell?(we won't even get to Johnson and McCaffrey) Because he's not as talented with the ball in his hands. All three of those guys have soft hands and run quality routes. Johnson also has those qualities. What he doesn't have is the ability with the ball in his hands that those guys have.

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

1) I don't need to reference the article. I already provided a link that proves you wrong. Are you going to argue with Theo Riddick's stats?

2. I've seen multiple Browns games. I know of Duke Johnson. You're nuts if you think he's the best pass-catching HB in the NFL. He's arguably in the top 5. You're nuts if you think he's easily in the top 5. Why isn't Duke Johnson easily better than Gurley, Kamara, and Bell?(we won't even get to Johnson and McCaffrey) Because he's not as talented with the ball in his hands. All three of those guys have soft hands and run quality routes. Johnson also has those qualities. What he doesn't have is the ability with the ball in his hands that those guys have.

Okay to my first point, I was stating that I got my info from an article. So blame that--not me. Secondly, your opinion is extremely subjective. He is one of the best route running RBs in the NFL who they flexed basically into a slot WR for a vast amount of times the past few years. He receives the ball more than he runs the ball despite being Miamis alltime leading rusher and IMO is the closest thing to Percy Harvin this league has since Percy Harvin being a 75% pass catcher and 25% runner.

He also missed 25% of tackles with the ball in his hands---good for 3rd best rate in the entire NFL. So dont give me that Gurley, Kamara, Bell and McCaffrey are harder to tackle. For the past 3 years from 2014-2017 he is 3rd in the entire NFL in missed tackles. Again, I dont know where you get your opinion from that those 5 guys are definitely better than Duke with the ball in their hands. That shows me you havent watched too many Browns games for the past 3 years.

daae820c-0b68-4eca-ad3a-3756ca2bd082.PNG

Also, again, its your subjective option he is not as talented with the ball in his hands. Here is per PFF his receptions 

Name Seasons Total Receptions
LaDainian Tomlinson 2001-2003 238
Reggie Bush 2006-2008 213
Roger Craig 1983-1985 211
Herschel Walker 1986-1988 189
Ted Brown 1979-1981 176
Duke Johnson 2015-2017 175

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Okay to my first point, I was stating that I got my info from an article. So blame that--not me.

I blame the person who posted the information without verifying. Maybe I would be more willing to accept your deflection here if you didn't tell a poster who corrected you that you were right. Be accountable for you post.

Secondly, your opinion is extremely subjective. He is one of the best route running RBs in the NFL who they flexed basically into a slot WR for a vast amount of times the past few years. He receives the ball more than he runs the ball despite being Miamis alltime leading rusher and IMO is the closest thing to Percy Harvin this league has since Percy Harvin being a 75% pass catcher and 25% runner.

Every opinion is subjective. However, Duke Johnson hasn't had a receiving season like Bell's 2014 season, Gurley's 2017 season, or Johnson's 2016 season.

He also missed 25% of tackles with the ball in his hands---good for 3rd best rate in the entire NFL. So dont give me that Gurley, Kamara, Bell and McCaffrey are harder to tackle. For the past 3 years from 2014-2017 he is 3rd in the entire NFL in missed tackles. Again, I dont know where you get your opinion from that those 5 guys are definitely better than Duke with the ball in their hands. That shows me you havent watched too many Browns games for the past 3 years.

That stat doesn't mean much because, as you just told us, the vast majority of Duke's touches are receptions. It's much easier to create missed tackles as a receiver in space than a runner. For example, Todd Gurley had a missed tackle rate of 29.7% on receptions in 2017. Plus, the missed tackle statistic doesn't account for the plays where Gurley doesn't have to force missed tackles because of his elite speed (because he eliminates angles). Case in point:

But yeah, keep right on telling us all that we haven't watched enough Browns games. I'm sure you watched every single game that every single HB has played over the past couple years. And if you haven't, you certainly aren't practicing what you're preaching.

The irony of all this is that I'm actually quite high on Duke as a receiver and would consider him in that second tier of pass-catching HBs. But you're so insistent on pushing your guy that you're way overstating his abilities. What separates Duke from Alvin Kamara, Todd Gurley, and Le'Veon Bell in your mind? 

@Asciimo He does have the GOAT, he does have a smart OC, but I think he belongs. He's a genuinly good option for TB. I don't think he and Lewis are similar though. Lewis was a better runner, but White certainly the receiving option to go to

White

Targets  Rec  Drops Yards   AVG     Long     TD     TD+40

2016 Actual NE              76        60       4       551   9.2       61        5          0  
2017 Actual NE 68 56 1 429 7.7 27 3 0  
2018 Actual NE 40 32 1 270 8.4 27 4 0

Lewis

Targets  Rec  Drops   Yards     AVG     Long     TD     TD+40

2016 Actual NE                 22      17     1          94        5.5      16       0         0  
2017 Actual NE 33 32 0 214 6.7 20 3 0  
2018 Actual TEN 25 21 2 130 6.2 17 0 0

Archived