Top 5 Receiving Backs in the NFL

AlNFL19

11 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Leaving Gurley off the list is insane. 

He was borderline with Bell for me, but Bell seems to have had more big years receiving. Gurley didn't do much his 1st 2 seasons as a receiving back. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the system he was in, so I don't see much of a gap between Bell and Gurley in this aspect of their games. I do however think their are only 2 RB's in the league right now that could switch to WR, and be really successful at it. Those two guys are Kamara, and McCaffrey. They both have shown rare ability to be effective when lining up all over the field running a variety of routes. I think McCaffrey is a bit more natural at plucking the ball out of the air, and likely has better hands in comparison to Kamara, but I'd say Kamara is much more dangerous with YAC. 

Part of the reason I've left off Melvin Gordon, Austin Ekeler, LeVeon Bell, and James Conner all is because their respective counterparts are also doing so, it seems more system based in their case. With Kamara, McCaffery, Gurley, Barkley and James White you don't really see their teammates being able to pull off the same stuff they do.

6 hours ago, Danger said:

Part of the reason I've left off Melvin Gordon, Austin Ekeler, LeVeon Bell, and James Conner all is because their respective counterparts are also doing so, it seems more system based in their case. With Kamara, McCaffery, Gurley, Barkley and James White you don't really see their teammates being able to pull off the same stuff they do.

Or both Conner and Bell are good at it because D-Will couldn't do it a few years ago. Conner was a good receiving back in College.

38 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Or both Conner and Bell are good at it because D-Will couldn't do it a few years ago. Conner was a good receiving back in College.

Deangelo Williams had a career high in receiving yards at the age of 32 with the Steelers in 2015, and he accomplished this in just 10 games. I don't know that this helps alleviate the "system" argument with Steelers RB's. Not saying Bell isn't a good receiving back, just not sure this is the best counter argument.

6 hours ago, Danger said:

That isn't the case with the Chargers. 

Both RB's (especially Ekeler) are just really good in the passing game. . 

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

and dont the saint have a system thats usually favored rbs in the pass game?

They do. 

This doesn't mean Kamara is not special in the passing game. But passing-catch RBs have always been important in their scheme. 

31 minutes ago, game3525 said:

They do. 

This doesn't mean Kamara is not special in the passing game. But passing-catch RBs have always been important in their scheme. 

he absolutely is special catching the ball, but someone left bell off cause its a rb friendly system.

20 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Don't think there's enough separation between 5 and the next few to warrant stopping there

1. David Johnson
  2. Alvin Kamara
  3. Christian McCaffery
  4. Le'Veon Bell
  5. Todd Gurley
  6. Saquon Barkley
  7. James White
  8. Austin Ekeler
  9. MGIII
  10. Tarik Cohen

chris thompson?

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

They do. 

I don't watch every game of the Saints, but from what I've seen, it appears to me that they have a very HB friendly system. Kamara uses his quickness well to exploit mismatches against LBs and safeties. He's a great pass-catching HB. What I think separates Johnson and McCaffrey from the others is that they're great pass-catchers, period. I think they could move to WR and be major threats. I don't have that opinion of Kamara. He's a massive YAC threat, but so are Tavon Austin, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Carlos Henderson. I think Kamara would struggle separating against CBs. On the other hand, I think McCaffrey would be a hell of a slot WR, and I think Johnson could play both in the slot and outside.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:52 PM, jrry32 said:

For me, the question is which feature HBs could legitimately play the WR position at a high level. I look at the list of guys (ignoring the part-time HBs), and there are only two for me. Those two are David Johnson and Christian McCaffrey. Gurley, Kamara, Bell, etc. all fall into that next tier for me.

Disagree, we line up Kamara at WR all the time and he toorches DBs on all kinds of routes, even streaks. Anyway...

1. Kamara

2. Christian mcaffrey 

3. Davis Johnson 

4. Le’Veon Bell

5. James white or Theo Riddick

52 minutes ago, GamedayGuru said:

Disagree, we line up Kamara at WR all the time and he toorches DBs on all kinds of routes, even streaks. Anyway...

1. Kamara

2. Christian mcaffrey 

3. Davis Johnson 

4. Le’Veon Bell

5. James white or Theo Riddick

I'm not talking about DBs. I'm talking about CBs. Can you post videos showing him burning CBs? As I said, I don't get to watch a ton of Saints games.

Archived