5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Some good discussion going on in here today.  I'd like to see Rodgers drop back and fire to receivers on their break, as opposed to standing/scurrying around waiting for someone to get wide open.  Timing is everything, and he used to excel at timing routes.  It could be the receivers just aren't breaking at the right time, or, creating enough separation for Rodger's liking.  The whole thing just looks out of synch, and Rodger's mechanics still seem off - throwing off his back foot while falling backwards is not an ideal throwing motion, and only a few QB's ever have even been able to make it work.

Honestly, it's a head-scratcher for me.  His arm still looks strong, even though he sometimes underthrows receivers, because he'll come back a few plays later and float one over someone's head on a deep route.  It's almost like he lacks confidence in himself, which honestly looks to have carried over to the entire team, as evidenced by a really tentative looking group.  The swagger, confidence and tenacity - outside of Z - just seems to be missing.

I've been watching some old games on YouTube lately, I think people remember a Rodgers that never really existed. Outside of his first season he became a play extender that threw off his back foot or with both feet off the ground. He threw from multiple angles and platforms. I think the issue is, you give a guy with as many gifts as Rodgers 3-4 years to soak up a guy in Favre who was equally gifted but a technical mess who did things the way he wanted because he was a gunslinger and you're bound to end up with a guy who picks up some stuff.

I'm not sure why Favre or Rodgers throw off their backfoot, or with their feet off the ground, only thing I can think of is I don't remember Favre or Aaron having passes batted at the LOS, maybe there's a correlation between climbing the pocket and stepping into your throw and that. I don't know. It works for them so why change it?

Rodgers was always a guy we complained about holding the ball too. It's gotten worse as the years went on, but he's never been a Manning/Brady back foot hits and ball is out rhythm passer. He did it often enough that we didn't complain as much, but it was always there.

I think we're in the period a lot of QBs go through where they don't want to admit their age. I'm hoping Rodgers soon accepts he's 36 and starts to feel in the improvisation. I think that needs to also come with a commitment to get him some more talent at the skills. We're seeing Brady hit the same wall this year without a plethora of talent around him to get open.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not sure why Favre or Rodgers throw off their backfoot, or with their feet off the ground, only thing I can think of is I don't remember Favre or Aaron having passes batted at the LOS, maybe there's a correlation between climbing the pocket and stepping into your throw and that. I don't know. It works for them so why change it?

I think its directly attributable to knee injuries suffered by the likes of Carson Palmer, Tom Brady and others....wherein their front "plant leg" gets rolled up on from the front. This exact same type play almost took out the OSU QB this weekend.

The answer? Dont have a plant leg.

Edited by Leader

I'd just like to see Rodgers try to stick with a quick rhythm scheme for a while .. pretty sure he'd kill it statistically.  I'd like to see more sustained drives that help keep our shaky defense off the field .. especially against the good teams out there.  Try and control the clock as much as possible from here on out. 

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I've been watching some old games on YouTube lately, I think people remember a Rodgers that never really existed. Outside of his first season he became a play extender that threw off his back foot or with both feet off the ground. He threw from multiple angles and platforms. I think the issue is, you give a guy with as many gifts as Rodgers 3-4 years to soak up a guy in Favre who was equally gifted but a technical mess who did things the way he wanted because he was a gunslinger and you're bound to end up with a guy who picks up some stuff.

Rodgers was always a guy we complained about holding the ball too. It's gotten worse as the years went on, but he's never been a Manning/Brady back foot hits and ball is out rhythm passer. He did it often enough that we didn't complain as much, but it was always there.

I think we're in the period a lot of QBs go through where they don't want to admit their age. I'm hoping Rodgers soon accepts he's 36 and starts to feel in the improvisation. I think that needs to also come with a commitment to get him some more talent at the skills. We're seeing Brady hit the same wall this year without a plethora of talent around him to get open.

You piqued my curiosity and I had to go back and see for myself, so I watched some old YouTube footage - you're absolutely correct - Rodgers throwing style really hasn't changed much at all!  And, from the range of footage I watched, it looks like he's always held onto the ball too long - he was just a better, faster escape artist when he was young.

So yes, Rodgers needs to accept his age, MLF needs to design a quick-hitting offense, and Gute needs to get him some serious talent.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...