5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

It was mentioned above that “it used to be that way in the old days”, and what we’re discussing now is a return to the old days and what would happen if Rodgers was given complete autonomy to call every play, as though he was the offensive coordinator.  No input from the coach at all - just make the call in the huddle.  That’s much, much different that the “wide latitude” you’re referring to.  

Whatever. The semantics of it dont interest me.
Theres a reason its not done anymore. By anybody (that I know of - if you do, please supply the team/QB thats doing it).
Again - AR has wide latitude to change the call from the sideline. Has for years. In fact, you the viewer may never know what play was called versus what was actually run.

Just now, Leader said:

Whatever. The semantics of it dont interest me.
Theres a reason its not done anymore. By anybody (that I know of - if you do, please supply the team/QB thats doing it).
Again - AR has wide latitude to change the call from the sideline. Has for years. In fact, you the viewer may never know what play was called versus what was actually run.

If the semantics don’t interest you then just don’t respond.  We’re speaking in hypotheticals because it’s fun - you go off on some completely different tangent - congrats.  SMH.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

If the semantics don’t interest you then just don’t respond.  We’re speaking in hypotheticals because it’s fun - you go off on some completely different tangent - congrats.  SMH.

Relax. You're getting over excited. Dont be so sensitive.
I'm simply pointing out that your hypotheticals arent that far off from taking place now. AR has play changing / "calling" authorities at the LOS.

Just now, Leader said:

Relax. You're getting over excited. Dont be so sensitive.
I'm simply pointing out that your hypotheticals arent that far off from taking place now. AR has play changing / "calling" authorities at the LOS.

I’m very relaxed.  If anything, you seem to be having a hard time seeing the gist of things, or, you’re just not allowing yourself to have a little fun in here.  We were merely daydreaming what it would be like to just give Rodgers full authority to run the offense and call all plays, in the huddle, at the line, wherever.  You then state the obvious - that he already has a “wide latitude” - missing the point completely and then arguing your point, LOL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I’m very relaxed.  If anything, you seem to be having a hard time seeing the gist of things, or, you’re just not allowing yourself to have a little fun in here.  We were merely daydreaming what it would be like to just give Rodgers full authority to run the offense and call all plays, in the huddle, at the line, wherever.  You then state the obvious - that he already has a “wide latitude” - missing the point completely and then arguing your point, LOL

You dont seem relaxed. You seem quite nervous in fact. Stressed - to the point that you're misunderstanding my comments. I was just adding to your "wouldnt it be great if AR could do this" fun facts by pointing out he can already. Yeaaaaaa!! I dont need to argue anything as all I'm doing is pointing out whats already going on. Theres nothing to argue.

Just now, Leader said:

You dont seem relaxed. You seem quite nervous in fact. Stressed - to the point that you're misunderstanding my comments. I was just adding to your "wouldnt it be great if AR could do this" fun facts by pointing out he can already. Yeaaaaaa!! I dont need to argue anything as all I'm doing is pointing out whats already going on. Theres nothing to argue.

And Ragnar and I both pointed out that Rodgers can’t do what you’re suggesting - not in the way we were daydreaming.  Not sure how you’re reading that I’m anything but relaxed - maybe your projecting?  At any rate, our daydream is now over, thanks for that.  I’ll take a page from your book - points have been made.  Moving on to other, more fun conversations.

11 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Wait.

You are not seriously contending that the Pack's decision to move on from their long-time GM after the 2017 season (when he had just 1 year remaining on his contract) was not based on the organization's dissatisfaction with his performance but rather because they were afraid his assistants might depart for jobs elsewhere and thus needed to promote one of them?

Are you?

More retarded binary thinking. I'm not as pretentious as you to act like I know everything that was considered when making that decision. But you'll cling exclusively to whatever confirms your bias. Your next objective thought will be your first. 

10 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

More retarded binary thinking. I'm not as pretentious as you to act like I know everything that was considered when making that decision. But you'll cling exclusively to whatever confirms your bias. Your next objective thought will be your first. 

It's pretty likely all of three things.

A. Ted isn't the kind of dude that gets bitter. Hence he stayed on. So you still have his scouting prowess. 

B. He's not been very good lately.

C. You liked in house candidates. And now is the time before they go. 

It's not all of any of them and probably mostly b, then c, with a way behind, but still all of them.

7 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Sorry, I misinterpreted your statement, "Forget about the fact that there was an incentive to switch to one of the assistants before they all walked out the door for other jobs." I thought you were asserting that purported "FACT" to support your argument that the removal of the previous GM was unrelated to his job performance. 

Anyway, it is true that I, along with many other apparently "retarded" Packer fans in your view, continue to believe that the Green Bay Packers relieved the previous GM of his duties because the organization was dissatisfied with his performance over the last several years of his 13-year tenure.

That said, I concede I do not know for a "Fact" that the previous GM's performance played a role in the Organization's decision to replace him.

However, I remain confident that his performance did play a significant role in the Packers' decision to move on and disagree that such thinking is "retarded."

Packers worst in league in wasted timeout she according to PFF's latest.  Shocking.  I'm shocked.  I'm also 100% certain that would go back for a long time.

Blame McCarthy if you have to, but some of the blame is on Rodgers, too.  He's done that in hurry up mode.  

Edited by Outpost31

I have been quick to criticize Rodgers for passing up the easy yards this season, so I thought it was worth mentioning that Ben Fennell over at The Athletic went out of his way to point out that Rodgers did a very good job of taking the easy yards vs SF and letting the receivers get the YAC.  Fennell's weekly breakdown of GB's All-22 film is probably my favorite column to read, so it was good to see that comment coming from him.