Packers Lions Post Game

skibrett15

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Kenny Clark continues to rack up the snaps. He played all but five snaps against the Lions and recorded a tackle for loss and a QB hit. He's played more than 80 percent of the defensive snaps this season. Last season, he led all Packers defensive line with 65 percent of the snaps. Here's the snap count breakdown on defense from the 31-23 loss at Detroit.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Montravious Adams played 1 snap yesterday and has played just 19 snaps this season.

Is he injured?

Unfortunately I think he just sucks which is disappointing because there was a lot of hype surrounding him and I thought he had a solid preseason. But the guy literally cant even get 5 snaps a game on a defense with 0 pass rushers right now. 

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He and MVS need more time on the field. They earned more PT yesterday. Both are far more dynamic than GMo or Cobb. The more they are on the field the better we'll be come December.

Are you willing to put up with those rookie mistakes?  We saw that on I believe the first pass to MVS where he only got one foot down instead of dragging his second foot down.  Part of me believes that carried over from his college career where the rule only requires one foot down.  We also saw MVS not continue his route that led to an almost pick-six last week I believe?  You're going to have rookie mistakes.  I just think people are too quick to pull the plug on Cobb and Allison because they offer limited upside.  Seems like a shiny new toy syndrome.

For those yelling loud noises at my skepticism of how we are going to win on the road this year, here is Exhibit A. This is an every game problem, not an anomaly. You aren't going to beat decent teams, especially on the road, with these results. Absent a big time trade, I don't see how we fix this problem...

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

For those yelling loud noises at my skepticism of how we are going to win on the road this year, here is Exhibit A. This is an every game problem, not an anomaly. You aren't going to beat decent teams, especially on the road, with these results. Absent a big time trade, I don't see how we fix this problem...

Yet we're #5 in yards allowed and #3 against the pass. That's missing King for 2 games, Alexander for 1 and spending the first two weeks playing way too much House.

The pass rush is keeping us from being truly elite on defense, but there's no evidence that it has cost us a game yet. Our secondary can be truly great if it gets some healthy reps altogether.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are you willing to put up with those rookie mistakes?  We saw that on I believe the first pass to MVS where he only got one foot down instead of dragging his second foot down.  Part of me believes that carried over from his college career where the rule only requires one foot down.  We also saw MVS not continue his route that led to an almost pick-six last week I believe?  You're going to have rookie mistakes.  I just think people are too quick to pull the plug on Cobb and Allison because they offer limited upside.  Seems like a shiny new toy syndrome.

How else are they going to be players if they don't make mistakes? Did Nelson make mistakes? Jones, Adams, Finley?

Yes I'm 1000% willing to live with their mistakes.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Let's put something into perspective.  The Lions scored 17 points directly off of turnovers.  The defense allowed an additional 14 points that weren't directly tied to turnovers.  Right now, there are 7 teams who are allowing less than 20 PPG.  That's despite the "complete lack of a pass rush" that you've alluded to.  So despite the defense not playing well individually, it's been productive.  Just keep that in mind.

That being said, using the power of hindsight how do you fix the pass rush last offseason that doesn't kill our CB corps.  I'll be waiting.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

How else are they going to be players if they don't make mistakes? Did Nelson make mistakes? Jones, Adams, Finley?

It's going to be a trial by fire situation with these rookies, but I think you're lying to yourself if those rookie mistakes don't rear their ugly heads and you're going to be upset about them.  Of the guys you mentioned, only Greg Jennings and a lesser extent James Jones played significant role as rookies.  Historically speaking, the Packers haven't utilized their young WRs during their rookie seasons.  If you're willing to put up with their mistakes in October/November/December, the payoff down the road could be bigger.  But we'd also be lying to ourselves if we were saying that Geronimo Allison has been producing.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's going to be a trial by fire situation with these rookies, but I think you're lying to yourself if those rookie mistakes don't rear their ugly heads and you're going to be upset about them.  Of the guys you mentioned, only Greg Jennings and a lesser extent James Jones played significant role as rookies.  Historically speaking, the Packers haven't utilized their young WRs during their rookie seasons.  If you're willing to put up with their mistakes in October/November/December, the payoff down the road could be bigger.  But we'd also be lying to ourselves if we were saying that Geronimo Allison has been producing.

I'd be willing to bet Cobb and GMo are well into the 80s, maybe 90s on snap % when healthy. I'm not saying bench them, but let's get those numbers into the 60-70s by playing EQ and MVS. If it warrants it down the road by play quality we can adjust even further in favor of the rookies from there.

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Of course you learn from mistakes and will always make mistakes but you're more likely to make mistakes your rookie year. Have to be excited for MVS though.

Finley: 6 for 74 1 TDs

Jordy: 33 for 366 2 TDs

Jones: 47 for 676 2 TDs

Adams: 38 for 446 3 TDs

MVS: Pace: 28 for 348 3 TDs

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd be willing to bet Cobb and GMo are well into the 80s, maybe 90s on snap % when healthy. I'm not saying bench them, but let's get those numbers into the 60-70s by playing EQ and MVS. If it warrants it down the road by play quality we can adjust even further in favor of the rookies from there.

I don't.  Last year, the trio of Adams, Nelson, and Cobb played in the 70% range.  Granted all of them missed at least a game or two, but they also didn't have any real young talent behind them.  I'd imagine Cobb and Allison come in that 60-70% range, but Cobb is going to see his PT cut if he continues with this drops.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yet we're #5 in yards allowed and #3 against the pass. That's missing King for 2 games, Alexander for 1 and spending the first two weeks playing way too much House.

The pass rush is keeping us from being truly elite on defense, but there's no evidence that it has cost us a game yet. Our secondary can be truly great if it gets some healthy reps altogether.

As an add on to your comment, Pettine pretty much said he looks to the interior to get pressure.

The pressure is there.  That is how a guy like Blake Martinez quietly gets credit for 2 sacks yesterday.  They are not flashy, splash plays, but it has been effective.

seems like a lot of fans can't come to grips with this being a different defense than what it has been for the last 9 years.

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

As an add on to your comment, Pettine pretty much said he looks to the interior to get pressure.

The pressure is there.  That is how a guy like Blake Martinez quietly gets credit for 2 sacks yesterday.  They are not flashy, splash plays, but it has been effective.

seems like a lot of fans can't come to grips with this being a different defense than what it has been for the last 9 years.

The expectation with the pettine defense is that it creates 1 on 1 opportunities for a variety of players and sometimes creates free rushers due to confusion.  Right now we are getting those 1 on 1's, but it is not always perry and matthews coming through.

Archived