Derek Carr's future

Elky

Ever since his promising, albeit slightly overrated 2016 campaign, Carr has regressed. In fact, in his last ten games:

2-8 as the starter
Just two games without a turnover
Averaging just 18.3 PPG (15.3 if you factor out the 45 outlier against CLE)

Jon Gruden doesn't seem overly impressed with him either, as he has publicly criticized him twice already. Carr signed a big contract last year and isn't a free agent until 2023. With regressing play and a notoriously impatient coach when it comes to QBs, what bodes for Carr's future?

He has not been the same since he broke his leg.  Plays scared and is making terrible decisions. This is an evaluation year for Gruden to start the rebuild for Las Vegas and Carr might not be a part of the move. 

Carr is an enigma since the injury. plays excellent one game and literally craps himself for long stretches. I would not be all that surprised if he is traded after this season. This is Gruden’s team for the long haul. Gruden is definitely not happy with his play this season and no one should be.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would expect that Gruden will ultimately trade Carr away to a team like the Giants or something.

I doubt Cart has any trade value. Raiders made an escape clause after this season though. Something the Ravens should of did with Flacco. 

He may be signed thru 2023 but thanks to McKenzie we can get out after this year for i think only $7.5 mil in dead money if i remember right.

As Gannon12 said, this is an evaluation year. We could keep everyone next year and have $20 mil in free agency or blow up the team and start from scratch with $50+ mil and Carr. Our entire future is at the whim of Chucky thanks to McKenzie's prowess at structuring contracts and that especially includes Carr.

Im of the group that still believes in Carr. This is a complex system and people wanted Gannon gone in his first year in it too. And look how that turned out. Regardless how it turns out, we HAVE to give Carr the whole year and then make our judgement. At best, Gruden unlocks his potential. At worst, we trade him for something and we can $10+ mil in cap space.

What else is there to do tho? Play EJ Manuel?

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I doubt Cart has any trade value. Raiders made an escape clause after this season though. Something the Ravens should of did with Flacco. 

A QB with past success, in his physical prime, with a contract nearly devoid of gauranteed money? Somebody would definitely take a chance on him.

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We did. We allowed ourselves to evaluate him after 2 years and cut him to save cap.

We ended up extending him in 2014.

5 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

He may be signed thru 2023 but thanks to McKenzie we can get out after this year for i think only $7.5 mil in dead money if i remember right.

As Gannon12 said, this is an evaluation year. We could keep everyone next year and have $20 mil in free agency or blow up the team and start from scratch with $50+ mil and Carr. Our entire future is at the whim of Chucky thanks to McKenzie's prowess at structuring contracts and that especially includes Carr.

Im of the group that still believes in Carr. This is a complex system and people wanted Gannon gone in his first year in it too. And look how that turned out. Regardless how it turns out, we HAVE to give Carr the whole year and then make our judgement. At best, Gruden unlocks his potential. At worst, we trade him for something and we can $10+ mil in cap space.

What else is there to do tho? Play EJ Manuel?

We should absolutely start Carr all 16 games. He deserves a chance to show if hes our starter next year. No one is arguing that. However, if he plays this way remainer of the year, ill gladly exit his contract. 

If Week 16-17 rolls around though and we are contention for the #1 pick im definitely starting EJ Manuel or AJ McCarron though. 

I think he still has a future.  I would love to see what he could do on the Giants as someone mentioned earlier.  But I was expecting a bounce back season from him this year and he's been pretty disappointing.  He doesn't have that same poise that was one of his biggest redeemable qualities during his first 3 seasons, and I think part of that has to do with his injury a couple years ago

Carr was money Week 2 against Denver. Completed 91% of his passes and had over 30 attempts. An NFL record. Also had a 9.1 YPA, another record with that completion percentage. 

The other four games he has either been wildly inconsistent or just straight up looked bad. 

The team is garbage around him and he's a young QB, they're pretty inconsistent. Pretty sure Carr gets 2 more seasons so Gruden can rebuild the team around him and if he sucks well the Raiders pull the plug and let Gruden draft his guy.

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

The team is garbage around him and he's a young QB, they're pretty inconsistent. Pretty sure Carr gets 2 more seasons so Gruden can rebuild the team around him and if he sucks well the Raiders pull the plug and let Gruden draft his guy.

Once again.. Gruden never drafts QBs. He hates young QBs. Look at his three main starters in his Head Coaching tenure: Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia. 

Archived