Derek Carr's future

Elky

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Once again.. Gruden ... hates young QBs. 

Gruden-QB-Camp-660x400.jpg

In response to OP, I would think he would get at least the rest of this year and most of next to prove himself. This team is clearly rebuilding and you don't just give up on the promise he showed in 2015 & 2016.

Definitely is a bit of an odd predicament. I mean the tools are there and I think he's shown enough to be worth sticking it out with for the next few years, but there may be truth to Raiders fans saying he hasn't been the same since the injury, and that may never sort itself out. Don't go crazy and take a QB with the 1st pick, but wouldn't hurt to at least think about life beyond Carr.

2 minutes ago, game3525 said:

He is 27, that is around the age when QB's generally become a finish product and ride that out for the next 5-10 years. 

With an elite offensive line he’s a Top 6-8 QB.

However, many QBs can be a Top 10 QB with the line he had in 2016. Carr is just not great under pressure. 

Look at Wilson. Worst pass protection in the league 3 years running and he’s still feasting. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

With an elite offensive line he’s a Top 6-8 QB.

However, many QBs can be a Top 10 QB with the line he had in 2016. Carr is just not great under pressure. 

Look at Wilson. Worst pass protection in the league 3 years running and he’s still feasting. 

Yeah, Carr is a middle of the road QB. I have compared him to Dalton. You can win with him (not just a playoff game, but the Super Bowl), but he is going to need a great cast around him. 

51 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Once again.. Gruden never drafts QBs. He hates young QBs. Look at his three main starters in his Head Coaching tenure: Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia. 

It's been 15+ years since then I'm sure his coaching philosophy on QBs has changed since then and that's an unlikely scenario given where the Raiders are right now, they're in no position to just dump a talented QB with upside on a garbage roster. 

9 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, Carr is a middle of the road QB. I have compared him to Dalton. You can win with him (not just a playoff game, but the Super Bowl), but he is going to need a great cast around him. 

He even has potential to put together MVP caiber seasons. But yes, you are gonna need to invest a lottt of money into OL to be severey elite and invest a lotttt into weapons. Basically, your defense is gonna suck most likely. 

I wouldnt say him and Dalton are on the same level though. Dalton has had AJ Green and elite lines and still looked average. He definitely would never put up MVP numbers. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I doubt Cart has any trade value. Raiders made an escape clause after this season though. Something the Ravens should of did with Flacco. 

Somebody would absolutely give something of substance for Carr. Have no doubts whatsoever about that. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Once again.. Gruden never drafts QBs. He hates young QBs. Look at his three main starters in his Head Coaching tenure: Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia. 

so what you're saying is that Eli Manning will be a Raider.

Carr's play is all over the place. He makes throws that are just insane and its like wow, ok and then he goes full Jay Cutler. Its pretty frustrating. The Raiders roster is a mess though. Mainly on defense, its complete trash on all levels. if I was Gruden I would give Carr another year. It could be tempting to draft Justin Herbert but unless Raiders have #1 pick I don't see that happening. I would just load up on defense in the draft and free agency and just hope Carr starts to get more comfortable in what is a pretty complex offense.

I think Carr is demonstrating the same weaknesses that he had at Fresno that caused him fall out of the first round. The concerns were that he was a check down guy and couldn't handle pass pressure. He was a different QB when he was forced off his spot. He's never wanted to take any kind of beating back there. The Raiders knew that and invested heavily in the OL. Carr was more sophisticated at reading pro schemes than most new QBs and flourished. But the protection isn't as strong anymore, he gets contacted more,  his #1 WR became bizarrely inconsistent and teams prepare better for him.

Now this year he's trying to learn a more complicated scheme and pick up the slack for a defense that's awful. I think the biggest issue with Gruden's offense is they can't run the ball consistently.

But I will say that my comp for Carr coming out of Fresno is getting better as time goes by. I thought he was Josh McCown, in that he'd be something of an enigma. All the tools and the right mindset, but just lacking something.

2 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

He's really trying hard to live up to those Jay Cutler comparisons he had coming out.

In fairness, Jay Cutler couldn't hope to ever come close to the 71.3% completion percentage Derek Carr has right now.

Then again, Cutler only once had the 26 interceptions in a season that Carr is on pace for right now (or even come close to that)... and that was the year before he was jettisoned by Denver to Chicago.

Archived