Report: Giants players are getting frustrated with Eli Manning's performance

DigInBoys

I supported Eli last year, and thought that benching was garbage.

But good lord almighty, this season his play has fallen off a cliff, and in spite of what all he's done for the Giants, this is just hitting a point where you can't keep putting him out there.

Might be time to hang it up Eli. Ride off into the Hall of Fame with your two rings.

People try to cherry pick and lay blame on one thing, but all of these are true:

-Eli is very bad, easily the worst he's ever been and very possibly the worst QB in the NFL this year

-Eli wasn't always bad; a 2011 Eli has this offense operating on a different level

-The OL is better than last year, but barely. They are, like Eli, also very bad. Although I'd say they are in the 25-30 range rather than 30-32 like Eli

-Barkley is an absolute stud and was the right pick. The only reason people can say he was a bad pick is because we didn't take a QB, which is kind of moot if we (likely) get our pick of them next year. 

Bad OL and bad Eli are contributing to a very bad offense. It isn't one or the other. Odell is a little crazy, but he is hardly the reason we are losing games. Get Justin Herbert, a RG, and a RT in here and the offense does a 180. This was always going to be a multi-year rebuild. There is no way Gettleman thought it wouldn't be.

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

And to think they passed on Darnold and Rosen for a running back.

tenor.gif?itemid=5822761

Oh yes, Darnold and Rosen, who are lighting the entire league up with their amazing play!

There is one rookie QB who looks actually good and it is Mayfield, who the Giants didn't even have a chance to draft. People said "the Giants won't have another shot at the #2 overall pick, so they have to take a QB". Obviously they were wrong. And Barkley looks like a generational talent. He's not just "a running back".

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The national media's outrage at McAdoo benching Eli still makes me laugh. 

It wasn't the benching itself the world was mad it. It was the fact that he got benched for Geno Smith. If Mcadoo benched Eli for Davis Webb, he'd still have a job.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Oh yes, Darnold and Rosen, who are lighting the entire league up with their amazing play!

There is one rookie QB who looks actually good and it is Mayfield, who the Giants didn't even have a chance to draft. People said "the Giants won't have another shot at the #2 overall pick, so they have to take a QB". Obviously they were wrong. And Barkley looks like a generational talent. He's not just "a running back".

At the time of the draft, if you would have told me that Darnold would be inconsistent his rookie year, I wouldn't have been remotely surprised. But he has shown many glimpses as to why many considered him to be the best QB in the draft. Rosen has shown lots of promise too, despite being on an absolute garbage Arizona Cardinals team.

But yeah, enjoy having a very good running back. Because we know that's far more important than having a franchise QB. Good thing next year's QB class is looking really strong... oh, wait.

Hopefully Lauletta is the real deal for the Giants' sake.

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

At the time of the draft, if you would have told me that Darnold would be inconsistent his rookie year, I wouldn't have been remotely surprised. But he has shown many glimpses as to why many considered him to be the best QB in the draft. Rosen has shown lots of promise too, despite being on an absolute garbage Arizona Cardinals team.

But yeah, enjoy having a very good running back. Because we know that's far more important than having a franchise QB. Good thing next year's QB class is looking really strong... oh, wait.

Hopefully Lauletta is the real deal for the Giants' sake.

When you are picking #1, you don't need a strong QB class. You just need 1 Justin Herbert. Hopefully he declares.

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

When you are picking #1, you don't need a strong QB class. You just need 1 Justin Herbert. Hopefully he declares.

Exactly. People are acting as though the Giants passed on a Peyton Manning caliber qb prospect.  There will be an opportunity to draft a Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen next year and many years to come.  In the meantime we’ll have to suffer watching the most talented running back I’ve ever seen.

The Giants can justify the move for Barkley if they really make moves next year to draft/trade for a QB and completely revamp the offensive line. I'm not sure how realistic it is to do that in one year but if this becomes a multi-year effort to rebuild while Saquon is a rookie contract, you've pretty much wasted that pick IMHO.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

It wasn't the benching itself the world was mad it. It was the fact that he got benched for Geno Smith. If Mcadoo benched Eli for Davis Webb, he'd still have a job.

Easy to forget that component amidst the wave of crying from pundits about how "disrespectful" it was to bench a terrible player. 

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Easy to forget that component amidst the wave of crying from pundits about how "disrespectful" it was to bench a terrible player. 

Well and Eli's bad play was disguised by a terrible OL and his top 4 receivers being out for most of the year. His primary receivers were guys who just got signed 2 days ago to other teams' practice squads. That bought him another year.

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Well and Eli's bad play was disguised by a terrible OL and his top 4 receivers being out for most of the year. His primary receivers were guys who just got signed 2 days ago to other teams' practice squads. That bought him another year.

I totally get it. Both of our teams were able to convince themselves they could win now, and it just didn't work out. The Barkley/Darnold thing with you guys is kind of the same deal as the Chubb/Rosen thing with the Broncos and those decisions are going to be evaluated for the next decade. Good luck in the upcoming tank-off, nobody needs a young QB like our teams. 

Archived