Dak Prescott's ceiling McNabb/Hasselbeck?

Malik

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Also RG3 his rookie year.

But honestly, outside of Dallas, people were discussing Zeke far more than Dak in that sort of light.

His comment was that McNabb was a legit MVP canidate one year. Just pointing out that people thought Dak was too I mean so it's not a fair argument to say that Dak has never been considered good.

47 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

His comment was that McNabb was a legit MVP canidate one year. Just pointing out that people thought Dak was too I mean so it's not a fair argument to say that Dak has never been considered good.

"legit" being the operative word here

26 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

"legit" being the operative word here

legit has no meaning in this scenario

Only time I even remember McNabb finishing anywhere close to a MVP discussion was like back in 2000 with Marshall Faulk.

So comparing the two seasons.

McNabb in 2000 finished with a passer rating of like 78% 3300 passing yards, 23 TD's and 13 INT's.

Prescott in 2016 had a passer rating of 105% with 3600 yards passing 23 TD's and only 4 INT's.

Not to mention McNabb allowed himself to be sacked 20 more times then Dak did while Dak was leading his team to a 13-3 season as compared to McNabb who only lead them to 11-5.

McNabb's best season as a QB was the only time he had eclipsed the passer rating of 100. And Dak's rookie season still just nudges out this season as well according to the Passer Ratings. Not to mention McNabb wasn't even the runner up that season in the MVP candidate discussion.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

As a Redskins fan who remembers the years of torture we received from McNabb there is no comparison whatsoever. Dak isn’t in the same realm as McNabb. McNabb was a true game changer. 

Nobody is comparing Dak to McNabb (I hope)... merely saying McNabb is his ceiling as a player. I could get behind that, of course most players never reach their ceiling, and Dak would have to significantly improve his pocket presence and ability to read the field if he wanted to even begin to approach McNabb, who was a top 10 QB in this league for a long time. 

Reason I say I can get behind it is because they have similar builds, both have legs as a weapon, and both have accuracy issues (which tend not to improve. I'm not talking completion %, talking missing wide open WRs on short-intermediate routes (everybody misses a good chunk of deep throws). 

On 10/14/2018 at 2:17 PM, Calvert28 said:

McNabb actually received MVP votes though??? He was second with 11.

I think McNabb would put up insane numbers with Reid if he was playing right now.

Tough to judge Dak with his trash receivers, but McNabb led his team to the playoffs multiple times with garbage.  Let’s see how Dak finishes this year with a good defense and very good rushing attack.

I could see McNabb as Daks ceiling, but I don’t think he’ll ever be quite as good. 

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

You're using votes as a way to prove his legitimacy as a candidate. Feel free to prove to me what made him so valuable that year.

I don’t need to prove anything to you. The fact that McNabb came second in votes means he was a “legit” candidate. 

You said Dak was a legit candidate his rookie year - no where to be seen in the voting. So the people who actually decide on the NFL MVP didn’t have Dak on their radar, and rightfully so. He didn’t sniff Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, or Carr’s season.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, Calvert28 said:

legit has no meaning in this scenario

Only time I even remember McNabb finishing anywhere close to a MVP discussion was like back in 2000 with Marshall Faulk.

So comparing the two seasons.

McNabb in 2000 finished with a passer rating of like 78% 3300 passing yards, 23 TD's and 13 INT's.

Prescott in 2016 had a passer rating of 105% with 3600 yards passing 23 TD's and only 4 INT's.

Not to mention McNabb allowed himself to be sacked 20 more times then Dak did while Dak was leading his team to a 13-3 season as compared to McNabb who only lead them to 11-5.

McNabb's best season as a QB was the only time he had eclipsed the passer rating of 100. And Dak's rookie season still just nudges out this season as well according to the Passer Ratings. Not to mention McNabb wasn't even the runner up that season in the MVP candidate discussion.

Do you forget that these are in significantly different eras? I'm not claiming McNabb is a world beater, but you're taking these stats out of context. 

Archived