When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I reading today that we're still undecided on vance and if he stays we'll bring back Kubiak as oc this situation is a mess. 

Kubiak’s just chomping at the bit for a chance to OC Case Keenum.  He’s always had a thing for average talents, I don’t doubt for a second he was banging the table to bring Keenum in.

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I reading today that we're still undecided on vance and if he stays we'll bring back Kubiak as oc this situation is a mess. 

I'll be upfront, I think VJ is a disaster as a HC.    The most likely outcome is still a change.  But I think the FO is clearly leaving the door open, as they may in fact be waiting to see how Black Monday unfolds to see where they stand in the HC search pecking order.

The problem is 3-fold IMO:

1.  We are not an attractive destination for the best/brightest HC candidates.   That wouldn't matter if there were 5-6 great candidates though - because there are only 32 possible vacancies, even being the 5th-6th most desirable location generally gets a pretty good candidate.   The problem is compounded by....

2.  The HC pool this year isn't so top-heavy with guys that can revamp an O.  That was 2017-8.   Now, the list is a lot shorter.  There are definitely HC's who can do the other parts of the HC job far better than VJ can - but finding an OC who will then come with said coach is a much harder prop than in the last 2 years.    

3.  Ultimately, the biggest problem is that we don't have a QB that a HC wants to hang their future on - and the 2019 QB draft class is so iffy right now, especially with where we pick, that it's not a destination that O-minded HC's think of as ideal.    It's further compounded by the fact that the best OC's don't look like they will leave, either (and remember, it's a lateral position move, so teams would have to release them from their contract obligation).   In a lot of ways, ARI being the last team to hire a non-O minded HC in Steve Wilks last year, put them in the awful spot where they went with Mike freaking McCoy (still a fireable offense on its own, though, let's be clear on that lol).

Renck's latest piece points to how I think DEN is positioning themselves to see 2019 as a transition year.    The problem is that whoever they pick as HC to replace VJ, they really need to give 2+ years, if not 3.   And they may just not feel that comfortable with what will be available to revamp the O, and instead may want to just get Kubiak in to try and make something of Keenum (which will not lead to any long-term contention for sure, ugh). 

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Kubiak’s just chomping at the bit for a chance to OC Case Keenum.  He’s always had a thing for average talents, I don’t doubt for a second he was banging the table to bring Keenum in.

Kubiak and Elway are stuck on opposite prototypes of awful QBs. Elway likes giants with big arms who are dumb as dirt. Kubiak likes "grinders" who have all the intangibles and no physical gifts. It's pretty funny, actually. 

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Kubiak and Elway are stuck on opposite prototypes of awful QBs. Elway likes giants with big arms who are dumb as dirt. Kubiak likes "grinders" who have all the intangibles and no physical gifts. It's pretty funny, actually. 

And Elway's top target  this year in pre-draft evaluation - Drew Lock.  He could always be the one that breaks the rule, but he fits the Elway mold to a T.   Man.   

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And Elway's top target  this year in pre-draft evaluation - Drew Lock.  He could always be the one that breaks the rule, but he fits the Elway mold to a T.   Man.   

I see the Lock hype being through the roof by April, I actually think we would have to trade up for him. Scary thought. 

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I see the Lock hype being through the roof by April, I actually think we would have to trade up for him. Scary thought. 

Given he’s all about tools & ceiling the Senior Bowl and Combine are going to be ideal for his draft stock.   In some ways that could be a big blessing I agree he could easily be a top 2 draft QB and be out of our reach - unless we are desperate enough to move up.  

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

Still doesn't make it appealing to me especially if we keep Vance around. 

13 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Hard to imagine a Mike Shanahan + Cousins combo coupled with these explosive young offensive players wouldn't have generated some serious points. If that story is true, then you can officially count me in on the "Joe Ellis needs to go" bandwagon. Rumor has it he also played a substantial role in bringing in McDaniels although I'm not sure if that's true or not. 

It’s not rumor, it’s fact, and I’ve said so since 2009.

When Mr. B started to slip Ellis is saw an opportunity for a power grab. So he took advantage of Mr. B’s issues and the fact we hadn’t been to playoffs in three years to get Mike fired. He then conducted the HC interviews, chose Mac and recommended him to Mr. B, who signed off, and then gave Mac full control just as Mike had. He also lied to the fan base, telling us, through his lackey, Patrick Smyth, that yes-man Brian Xanders was the GM and Mac the HC when in fact Xandwrs was powerless and Mac called all the shots. 

Ellis has been a problem with this franchise for years and years and even in his supposed area of expertise - the business side - he is almost completely incompetent, as we see from the stadium naming rights fiasco. 

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It’s not rumor, it’s fact, and I’ve said so since 2009.

When Mr. B started to slip Ellis is saw an opportunity for a power grab. So he took advantage of Mr. B’s issues and the fact we hadn’t been to playoffs in three years to get Mike fired. He then conducted the HC interviews, chose Mac and recommended him to Mr. B, who signed off, and then gave Mac full control just as Mike had. He also lied to the fan base, telling us, through his lackey, Patrick Smyth, that yes-man Brian Xanders was the GM and Mac the HC when in fact Xandwrs was powerless and Mac called all the shots. 

Ellis has been a problem with this franchise for years and years and even in his supposed area of expertise - the business side - he is almost completely incompetent, as we see from the stadium naming rights fiasco. 

That would make a lot of sense. I have often wondered if Pat was already starting to have issues when he fired Shanahan. Man, they kept it quiet though. There wasn't a single news report about it ANYWHERE until they went public with it. Pretty class act that everyone close to the team kept that under wraps.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Where'd you hear that?

Archived