Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

good quote from KB in the BR article I posted in his extension thread on Mariota

Mariota is the perceived weak link on one of the league's best rosters, the one who takes the flak, and Byard doesn't think that's fair. Byard is quick to say Tennessee can absolutely win with Mariota because nobody has a clue what the quarterback's been dealing with.

Byard won't disclose details, only assuring everyone that his quarterback has dealt with even more than the fractured fibula in 2016 and nerve damage in 2018.

"And he played through a lot of injuries," Byard says. "He de-cleated [Alec] Ogletree one time on a block. This guy, he's one of the toughest guys I've ever played with. If not the toughest. I've seen the injuries he has to go through every week to make sure he's ready to play a game. So I do think we can win with him. I think we can take it all the way.

"He's a tough son of a gun. I know he's healthy. I'm hoping to see him really ball out for us this year. That's one thing everyone on our team knows. It may not be on the outside. But inside the building, we trust in him and we believe in him. And we know we can win with him."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2847259-even-after-705-million-payday-titans-db-kevin-byard-is-still-in-survival-mode

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

good quote from KB in the BR article I posted in his extension thread on Mariota

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2847259-even-after-705-million-payday-titans-db-kevin-byard-is-still-in-survival-mode

Kuharsky released an article during the off-season detailing each injury Mariota had: https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/marcus-mariota-was-more-injured-than-we-knew-in-2018

it's obvious the guys on the team respect the hell out of him. you hear it so strongly from lewan, byard, delanie....those are 3 of our foremost team leaders. you can't not root for the guy, i just hope he can deliver this year.

26 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

it's obvious the guys on the team respect the hell out of him. you hear it so strongly from lewan, byard, delanie....those are 3 of our foremost team leaders. you can't not root for the guy, i just hope he can deliver this year.

For me, comments like these just make the take that MM isn’t a good quarterback look even more idiotic. Obviously players protect their teammates, but I don’t think that there’s a person in that locker room that doesn’t think Mariota is a good quarterback. I know some posters on here know football and Mariota’s skill level better than Delanie Walker, but interesting to hear nonetheless.

• Like 1

I know everyone loves the guy, and I really want him to go out there and shove a pro bowl season down everyone who has ever doubted him's throat, but are we really going to act like praise from current teammates is more indicative of the level of his past performance than his actual past performances?

These comments mean absolutely nothing. Mariota is a great guy and I have no doubt that each and every person who has played with him would put their life at risk on the field for him, but that hasn't been his issue in 4 years.

There have been other questions, such as surrounding talent, and those are legitimate questions, but until he proves he can play well on a weekly basis and that he can stay healthy for 16 games, it doesn't matter who praises him.

Here's to hoping he balls out and we can delete this thread for good while he breaks records with his contract.

• Like 1

Every time I start to believe in Mariota he either loses or gets hurt. That is the sports media's perception as well, and it's hardening around him like concrete as we speak. He's got to stay healthy and put it all together this year, or I see the Titans moving on.

• 2 weeks later...

If it’s not time , it’s certainly getting close .

I might be overeating a bit since it is only PG1  but I expect a year 5 QB to look like an NFL starter vs a vanilla defense . Yea he only played 1 drive but even Ray Charles could have seen he looked incredibly  off. 

I created this topic about a year ago and over the last year I had moments (philly , pats games) where I started to flip a bit , but then bam back to his inconsistent ways . So after week 17 of him not playing in the biggest home game in a veryyyyyy long time , he was nowhere to be found for the third time in his career in a week 17 game . I’m not only off the Mariota train , I’m rooting for it to derail sooner rather then later . In no way shape or form is RT our future , but he at least looked like an NFL player the other night. I actually forgot what it looked like watching us march down the field at ease .  I also don’t care if it was bs the second string D , Mariota played against a bunch of the same guys and looked like a toddler . 

It’s year 5, and he looks like garbage , weak arm, inaccurate , and just looks like all his confidence is gone . Crazy to think this is the same guy who was benched at halftime of his rookie seasons opener because he was a cheat code vs the bucs. I  also get he’s a nice guy, a role model, HAD the tools his first two years but he’s just not the same guy. The last week it’s been nothing but back and forth between the Mariota homers and haters and right now it’s 1-0 for the haters , even some of homers  are turning to the “so called” dark side. 

Problem is for there argument right now is the most important thing has been left out . The last week has been nothing but arguing about his play and how he’s compared to Tannehill, and in the meantime people are forgetting his biggest concern and that’s his injuries . I’m not saying it’s a competition  but I’m saying it’s a competition if you know what I mean. If you don’t think for a second that JRob and Vrabel aren’t feeling the pressure already after the first preseason game your wrong . It’s been all over the news , media , every caller on 104.5 is talking about it , they can’t escape it and unless Mariota flips a switch and flips it fast , then Vrabel is going to have to make a move . I’ve never thought I’d say this but week 2 and 3 of this pre season might be the biggest in Mariotas career . It really is inevitable at this point , the guy is who he is and he’s not a franchise guy. The next few years there is some really good QBs coming out that could help this team and I hate to see that window close because we have a nice role model QB. 

RT for 2019 ....

Edited by FutureIsWhite

Mariota's performance on one drive of a week 1 preseason game means about as much as his teammates saying he's a good player... Absolutely nothing.

Also, he doesn't now, nor has he ever had a weak arm. He's got a lot of problems, but arm strength is about as big of a problem as his straight line speed. He lobbed a few passes Thursday but not because he cant throw it harder.

The only way we're getting one of the "really good" college QBs is if we have a top 3 pick. Idc which QB starts, we won't be able to trade into the top three without losing 3 years worth of picks.

9 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Mariota's performance on one drive of a week 1 preseason game means about as much as his teammates saying he's a good player... Absolutely nothing.

Also, he doesn't now, nor has he ever had a weak arm. He's got a lot of problems, but arm strength is about as big of a problem as his straight line speed. He lobbed a few passes Thursday but not because he cant throw it harder.

The only way we're getting one of the "really good" college QBs is if we have a top 3 pick. Idc which QB starts, we won't be able to trade into the top three without losing 3 years worth of picks.

Yep but good QBs do fall for some reason or another. The best one in the league right now was drafted 10th overall. Watson was drafted 12th overall. I’m really intrigued by Jake Fromm. I think once you take him out of that bs running scheme that Kirby likes to run, he’ll be a stud. Guys like Tua and Herbert can go top 3 but I’m taking Fromm over both who has been mocked all over the 1st round. The Titans are in QB purgatory and the team is too damn good to get a top 5 pick. However, if they get a top 20 pick, they can certainly get into the top 10 for a QB. If that means giving up a future 1st, then so be it if JRob thinks that guy is the guy.