Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

17 minutes ago, Norm said:

The fallout where we all decide he's old, washed up, no good, has poor effort, was ruining the locker room, had to go, hated people who kneeled, and decide that Kizer is good and just needs to be on a team that isn't the Browns?

We're talking about Rodgers right? If we traded him right now, im pretty sure the fanbase would have the biggest meltdown in history.

16 minutes ago, Norm said:

Pretty much my feeling. I don't think they want to play for him anymore and there's not spit he can do anymore to fix it.

I don't know that they don't "want" to play for Mac.  I just think at this point Mac doesn't have much to offer for the vets on the team, and the younger players are going to take their queues from the vets.  Whatever "juice" is in sports, this team is seriously lacking in it.

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

one of their better games.

Detroit was an embarrassment.  Minnesota was an epic collapse.  NE they didn't really show me anything. 9ers was an embarrassment on D, Washington was an overall team loss.

So they had 1/2 vs Minnesota, Chicago, and LAR.  Buffalo I suppose also, but yikes that's a really bad team.

I just don't see it from this team this year, and I don't think it's a talent issue.

It is an inexperience issue in my opinion.

None of those games suggest to me the team doesn't want to play for the coach.  Rodgers maybe, but even with him I think it is frustration with having to try and get this offense to run with low round rookie picks.

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

We're talking about Rodgers right? If we traded him right now, im pretty sure the fanbase would have the biggest meltdown in history.

We literally couldn't trade him right now. 

You would have to distribute salary to like a dozen different teams to make that work.

Rodgers has like 60 million in salary that would slam onto this year's cap. You'd have to make 60 million in cap space. You would have to trade or cut Cobb, Matthews, Bulaga, Perry, and probably Daniels simultaneously. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You would have to distribute salary to like a dozen different teams to make that work.

Rodgers has like 60 million in salary that would slam onto this year's cap. You'd have to make 60 million in cap space. You would have to trade or cut Cobb, Matthews, Bulaga, Perry, and probably Daniels simultaneously. 

Im just making the point of the fallout in green bay if we traded him. After getting that contract, he's pretty much playing out his career here.

4 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Ya, I don't know.

Fanbase didn't have much confidence in Rodgers when they moved on from Favre.  Kizer seems like he stinks as a QB, but that is what most of the fanbase thought of Rodgers back then.  One fan called him "the Tedford retard".

That was a pretty big meltdown by the fanbase.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Also we passed the trade deadline ?

9 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Ya, I don't know.

Fanbase didn't have much confidence in Rodgers when they moved on from Favre.  Kizer seems like he stinks as a QB, but that is what most of the fanbase thought of Rodgers back then.  One fan called him "the Tedford retard".

That was a pretty big meltdown by the fanbase.

Not sure Kizer is a great comparison here lol. They drafted Rodgers in the first round to eventually be Favre's replacement, Kizer wasn't traded here to be Rodgers replacement, especially after that new deal for Rodgers.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The outside contain philosophies for starters. We're getting killed asking our edge rushers to cut in under gaps and the ILBs to contain the outside over the top. 

We got killed last night because their interior lineman kept getting to our backside linebackers. Show me a Patterson run for 10 yards and I can show you Morrison or Martinez getting cut by a backside guard.

+++

I don't like the pressure package work though God damn if it hasn't held up so far. Pettine's work getting pressure via blitzing without giving up the big play has been extremely impressive. 

I'd just much rather kick the edge rushers out to give them a jump or help them stunt. If you want to blitz, bring the inside backers.

Pettine's likes to keep the edge guys inside and bring DBs. Hard to knock it when it's working, and it's definitely worked so far, not just with us but in his career. I've just always considered the highest level of defense one that doesn't need to blitz and can pressure with 4.

+++

I also don't like our nickel group. The 3-3-5 that we're playing a ton of makes me mad. It's basically a 5-1 with a safety in the box, that's getting killed on the outside runs and can't get pressure with 4 because the 4 are Lowry-Daniels-Clark-Perry when we choose to rush 4.

I feel like rushing 4 with Lowry while dropping Clay in coverage is counter intuitive. I'd much rather rush Perry-Clark-Daniels-Clay with another ILB/Safety in coverage.

+++

Hope that makes sense and obviously Pettine is 10 billion times smarter than me, it's just personal preferences. 

Also the loss of Wilkerson has put a real dent in this defense.

I just wonder if you give Capers Alexander, Tramon, and sophomore year King if this defense isn't in the same spot. 

I agree with quite a bit. I don't like the way we defend the edge.  But I do wonder if we had better edge defenders if he would do less of that.

I don't miss the miscommunication and disjointed secondary.  I don't miss the inability to defend the screen game.  I really don't miss the stale defensive concepts that we're simply too predictable.

2 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I agree with quite a bit. I don't like the way we defend the edge.  But I do wonder if we had better edge defenders if he would do less of that.

I don't miss the miscommunication and disjointed secondary.  I don't miss the inability to defend the screen game.  I really don't miss the stale defensive concepts that we're simply too predictable.

I don't mean to say that defensive concepts can't be stale because obviously things like the Tampa 2 and the 4-6 have gone out of style, but nothing Dom did was really old fashioned.

You could argue the deployment of his schemes situationally were problematic, but he was always trying new things and working to adjust. 

His defense his last two years here was basically unrecognizable schematically from the 09 defense he started with. 

The state of our secondary on his final seasons was just unsurvivable. Injuries turned a decent unit into a mangled trash heap. 

Archived