Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

41 minutes ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

Everyone wants a Belichick who is consistently great, but the reality is that every other coach is just, at best, consistently good. 

Plenty of coaches start out teams with teams that get hot and they get a lot of praise in the short run, and then those teams get brought back down to reality after a year or two and those coaches get fired. Rinse, repeat. 

McCarthy has proven to be one of the fewer coaches, like Payton, Tomlin and Harbaugh, who has their team pretty consistently prepared. They are not perfect coaches, there are weaknesses to their games. They have the occasional slump years, but they have proven over a long period of time to produce consistently competitive teams. 

Look at how much turnover there is everywhere else in the league, it's staggering. Most other teams would love to find the next McCarthy, Tomlin, etc. 

The grass is not always greener. 

Yup. If we get someone new, they'll get their honeymoon phase of not being blamed and everyone will be excited, and eventually, really no matter how well they do, all the same amount of complaints will return. Just how it goes

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

You are talking about the first play of he drive? Why is that first play such an issue, MM called plays and AR ran the Offense and we drove down and scored a f/g to win. Suggesting that the first play was somehow saying MM wanted OT is kinda silly is all. He played it conservative is all and it worked out again as most every coach would in that situation.

There is so much wrong with your NFCCG assessment I don't know where to begin. I'm not sure why this came up as well as we're talking about the final drive in last weekends game in which we beat SF with a game winning FG.

I'm sure you've opened a can of worms with other posters. Best well agree to disagree on both points.

It's not suggesting.  Aaron Rodgers said as much after the game.  McCarthy's intent was to play for OT but Monty changed that intent with his big gainer.  I think few coaches in the league would have been content with OT in that situation with that amount of time. 

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

It's not suggesting.  Aaron Rodgers said as much after the game.  McCarthy's intent was to play for OT but Monty changed that intent with his big gainer.  I think few coaches in the league would have been content with OT in that situation with that amount of time. 

He did not say that.

Here is the post game press conference:

https://www.packers.com/video/rodgers-on-win-it-was-an-important-one

Says Bahktiari suggested the play, point of the play was to get positive yardage and see how they respond.  No where does he indicate they were playing for overtime.

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

With one minute remaining, the other team with time outs and the ball at your own 10?

K.

This doesnt look like the play sequence of a team playing for overtime. Rather, it appears to me one which is being cautious not to 3+0 themselves into giving the ball to SF so they could be the one kicking the game winning field goal. If I remember correctly, we were out of timeouts and SF had all three? Or had they burned theirs as well? In any case - the drive started on our own 10. Some conservative "get the hell out from under the shadow of our own goal post" playcalling wasnt such bad thinking and it wasnt until the fifth play of the drive (the penalty on Sherman) followed up by ARs 21 yard scramble that "we got this" entered the picture.

I've heard AR say numerous times that drives like this are often "characterized" by the success or failure of the first play.

1st & 10 at GB 10

(1:07 - 4th) T.Montgomery left end pushed ob at GB 24 for 14 yards (J.Tartt).

1st & 10 at GB 24

(1:01 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep left to D.Adams.

2nd & 10 at GB 24

(0:54 - 4th) (Shotgun) PENALTY on GB, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at GB 24 - No Play.

2nd & 15 at GB 19

(0:54 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left to L.Kendricks.

3rd & 15 at GB 19

(0:49 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers sacked at GB 15 for -4 yards (D.Buckner). PENALTY on SF-R.Sherman, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at GB 19 - No Play.

1st & 10 at GB 24

(0:43 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers scrambles up the middle to GB 45 for 21 yards (D.Reed).

1st & 10 at GB 45

(0:20 - 4th) A.Rodgers spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2nd & 10 at GB 45

(0:19 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short left to D.Adams ran ob at SF 47 for 8 yards (G.Mabin).

3rd & 2 at SF 47

(0:15 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass deep right to E.St. Brown pushed ob at SF 28 for 19 yards (G.Mabin).

1st & 10 at SF 28

(0:10 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass deep left to D.Adams pushed ob at SF 9 for 19 yards (G.Mabin).

1st & 9 at SF 9

(0:06 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left to D.Adams.

2nd & Goal at SF 9

(0:00 - 4th) Mason Crosby 27 Yd Field Goal

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

He did not say that.

Here is the post game press conference:

https://www.packers.com/video/rodgers-on-win-it-was-an-important-one

Says Bahktiari suggested the play, point of the play was to get positive yardage and see how they respond.  No where does he indicate they were playing for overtime.

On the field after the game he said that they were playing for a tie and that Monty's run changed that. 

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

On the field after the game he said that they were playing for a tie and that Monty's run changed that. 

I still dont buy that. As the play sequence indicated - they werent running the ball to get SF to burn their TOs.

Reception pushed out of bounds at the GB 24.
Pass attempt - incomplete.
Pass attempt - sacked - penalty on SF. The ball was snapped on our own 19 yard line.
Rodgers scrambles for 21 yards.

This is not a team running the ball to kill clock - eat up SF's time outs and then punt it deep.
They were passing the ball every down. Outside of Rodgers scramble (another pass attempt) - they didnt run the ball once.

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

Just rewatched the on field interview.  I can't clip it here from game pass, but I think you are misinterpreting his comment.

He said it with a little laugh, and was simply reflecting on the difficulty of getting down the field from their own 19.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

With one minute remaining, the other team with time outs and the ball at your own 10?

K.

We'll have to agree to disagree if you think that was a call that most coaches would make.  1 minute left, at home against a HORRID 1 loss team. 

Just now, SSG said:

We'll have to agree to disagree if you think that was a call that most coaches would make.  1 minute left, at home against a HORRID 1 loss team. 

??

Win loss record coming into the game is irrelevant on the last drive of the actual game.
"Well gee....this should be a breeze. Look how lousy their record was coming in......."
The game was tied 30-30 with just over a minute left in regulation.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

I still dont buy that. As the play sequence indicated - they werent running the ball to get SF to burn their TOs.

Reception pushed out of bounds at the GB 24.
Pass attempt - sacked - penalty on SF. The ball was snapped on our own 19 yard line.
Rodgers scrambles for 21 yards.

This is not a team running the ball to kill clock - eat up SF's time outs and then punt it deep.
They were passing the ball every down. Outside of Rodgers scramble (another pass attempt) - they didnt run the ball once.

I'll have to rematch his comments after the game (I only seen it once and didn't rewind) like Ragnar suggests but I thought he pretty clearly stated that Monty's big gainer in which he stopped the clock changed their intent.  I agree, after the run, they were trying to win but IMO if that was a 1 or 2 yard gain that didn't stop the clock, we'd have been playing for the tie. 

7 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'll have to rematch his comments after the game (I only seen it once and didn't rewind) like Ragnar suggests but I thought he pretty clearly stated that Monty's big gainer in which he stopped the clock changed their intent.  I agree, after the run, they were trying to win but IMO if that was a 1 or 2 yard gain that didn't stop the clock, we'd have been playing for the tie. 

Okay listen, its not that big a deal - but the entire drive - from start to finish (if you look at the play calls) isnt what you'd expect if a teams looking to kill clock - maybe get a first down - but ultimately switch field position with a punt or end the game tied. Its just not how the play calls broke out - and Monty's catch/run only got them to the 24. They passed the ball every time.

19 hours ago, Norm said:

And when Mike wins a SB. Yeah but doesn't count, later on he won't win one and I'll be right again!!!

I wish I was dense enough to argue this way. I'd never be wrong. I now understand why you guys can't be wrong, by your logic, it isn't allowed. 

Trust me you are plenty dense! Love to see us win the Super Bowl but it is not happening with McCarthy. As for Crosby, I'll be pulling for him every week. The stats bare out he's an average NFL kicker. Love to see a draft pick and some competition for him next year. I'm sure in your world that isn't allowed. 

Let me ask you a few questions.

1. Is the NFL a league driven by elite QB's? Yes or No! 

2. If the answer to question 1 is Yes, then how does that skew McCarthy's win/loss record to say, Marvin Lewis or Mike Tomlin. Actually every coach who hasn't had the luxury of having a HOF QB starting his entire career. Should we look at his record when the HOF QB's were not behind center to get a better 'appreciation' for his coaching ability.

Hoody's one year without Brady in NE he went, I believe it was 11 - 5 with a guy who turned out to be useless. 

You can defend McCarthy all you want. The facts don't add up for you brother! 

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay listen, its not that big a deal - but the entire drive - from start to finish (if you look at the play calls) isnt what you'd expect if a teams looking to kill clock - maybe get a first down - but ultimately switch field position with a punt or end the game tied. Its just not how the play calls broke out - and Monty's catch/run only got them to the 24. They passed the ball every time.

I watched the game and heard Rodgers comments immediately after the game.  I don't care about the intent after the first play.  IMO the intent when that drive started was overtime and it CHANGED after Monty's big gainer in which he stopped the clock on.  Like I said earlier, I'll have to rematch Rodgers comments because at the time I thought he pretty clearly stated that they were playing for OT and that Monty changed that. 

Archived